Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this just happened. :(
  • Have you ever had to replace a windshield?
  • Did you go to Tesla service center or a 3rd party shop?
  • Did you file an insurance claim? If so, did your premium go up afterwards?
I have Geico.

IMG_20180812_110825.jpg
IMG_20180812_103253.jpg

So this just happened. :(
  • Have you ever had to replace a windshield?
  • Did you go to Tesla service center or a 3rd party shop?
  • Did you file an insurance claim? If so, did your premium go up afterwards?
I have Geico.

View attachment 325164
View attachment 325165

Yes. I researched the forum to see Pro's and cons of having non-Tesla shop do it. Decided to have Tesla do it because it requires adjustments to front camera. Was $1100. Chose to not go thru insurance. I save insurance for worse issues. Have seen family member lose insurance after multiple claims.

Good luck.

Tesla certified body shop in SD took care of it and sent it to the local SC for calibration, etc. Comp coverage via insurance (Ameriprise), costs are: $815 for the windshield itself, $425 for "triple camera sensor reset", 4+ hrs labor, so almost $2k all in.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-12_20-0-22.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-12_20-0-22.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 173
  • Informative
Reactions: fallen888
So I was looking to get a quote on windshield replacement from Safelite, but how do I find out which option is right for my S?
View attachment 325545
You can't rely on the Safelite online estimate. You will need to let them work out with Tesla what the price is. The online estimate will be way low.

My final Safelite estimate was probably about $100 less than Tesla, but not really possible to tell as Tesla would/could not tell me a price for the calibration. Went with Tesla to do the job to avoid having to take it to two places.

Now I'm waiting for the part, and watching the crack grow...

Here in Mass, we have zero $ deductible for glass damage on the car, and it is part of our comprehensive insurance so they do not raise your rates for glass damage claims.

As to the replacement, I had it done at a auto glass chain here that Tesla recommended. They got the glass from Tesla and did the swap. Very easy.

My Model S windshield just got a rock chip last week. The next day, it developped crack, and now it's about 10" long. The glass company ordered part from Tesla, except it's currently nation-wide back ordered, and no ETA :-(