Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Repacement and AP Camera Recalibrate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search and there's a lot of dialog about windshield replacement and camera recalibration, but nothing about what my service advisor told me today.

So my car seems to attract rock chips. I've accumulated 7 in the last year. My insurance covers 3 repairs per year, then they dictate a windshield replacement. The repairs are free, the replacement is my comprehensive deductible out of my pocket.

When I first discussed this with my Ranger, he was fairly sure after the windshield is replaced (either by a Service Center or Safelite) the AP camera would need calibration (to be done at the Service Center). Some time later, I was asking my same Ranger about it, he said he should be able to recalibrate the camera on-site after the windshield is replaced. Today my new-to-me Service Advisor stated the camera auto-calibrates within 150 miles of driving.

Unfortunately, this is what I've come to expect of Tesla. They have a woefully inconsistent message when it comes to processes or policies. It can be frustrating to plan around.

What has been your experience with this matter?

Thanks.

i got windshield replaced. AP2+ do not need any recaliberation. The only problem I faced, that the Tesla authorised body shop damaged the camera while changing windshield. Tesla SC did replaced it under warranty, even though they have to.

• Informative
Reactions: Dameon
Tesla SC did replaced it under warranty, even though they have to.
I assume this should have been "even though they didn't have to"?

So the process I've been approved for by my Service Advisor is: Order and pay for the windshield from Tesla, it gets shipped to a local Safelite facility, they come out to install it, Ranger does the recalibration on-site (or I can wait for an automatic recalibration) and I'm golden.

I'll start the process and report back.

Thanks.

My brother in law is a glazier at a large glass chain here in BC. He routinely has done 3-6 windshields a day for the last 20 years. He has been trained on how to calibrate the camera after windshield installation for Tesla's. They have a cardboard template they place in front of the car, and then plug in the OBDII port and calibrate. I can't remember how much more they charge the insurance companies for this extra amount, I think its $150, but more and more cars are coming with front cameras so it is not that unique a task anymore.

If your Tesla on AP (1,2,2.5?) does not quite follow in the centre of the lane that may be the reason why.

I just had my 2019 M3 windshield replaced by Safelite and when I tried to access Autosteer, a message popped up saying it was temporarily unavailable. I'll keep track of my miles and report back on how long it takes to re-calibrate. By the way, Tesla stated that it should recalibrate in ~100 miles and if it doesn't work, I'll need to take it to a SC. I'm really hoping that's not the case, given I'm 220 miles away from the nearest SC.

I just had my 2019 M3 windshield replaced by Safelite and when I tried to access Autosteer, a message popped up saying it was temporarily unavailable. I'll keep track of my miles and report back on how long it takes to re-calibrate. By the way, Tesla stated that it should recalibrate in ~100 miles and if it doesn't work, I'll need to take it to a SC. I'm really hoping that's not the case, given I'm 220 miles away from the nearest SC.

Quick update: The AP recalibrated in less than 20 miles and has been working fine since.

Reactions: The Duke
I have AP2. When I got my windshield replaced last year they also said it should not require recalibration. But my Autosteer started to have a lane position bias right after replacement. The service manager personally handled my case, and explained that they replace many windshields a day and maybe once every few months have a case where it actually required manual calibration.

I have AP2. When I got my windshield replaced last year they also said it should not require recalibration. But my Autosteer started to have a lane position bias right after replacement. The service manager personally handled my case, and explained that they replace many windshields a day and maybe once every few months have a case where it actually required manual calibration.

Same here. I just replaced my windshield by Safelite yesterday. And now my car is now leaning toward right. It scared me this morning when it got so close to a truck on my right. I will be adding 100miles today and see if autopilot goes back to normal. Otherwise, I will need to take it to SC. I am out of warranty so not sure how much they would charge for this.

Same here. I just replaced my windshield by Safelite yesterday. And now my car is now leaning toward right. It scared me this morning when it got so close to a truck on my right. I will be adding 100miles today and see if autopilot goes back to normal. Otherwise, I will need to take it to SC. I am out of warranty so not sure how much they would charge for this.

Interesting! And just to add, in my case, after dozens of miles, it did not fix its own calibration. But after the service center did the full Autopilot recalibration with the big screen TVs / targets, Autopilot worked normally again.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Interesting! And just to add, in my case, after dozens of miles, it did not fix its own calibration. But after the service center did the full Autopilot recalibration with the big screen TVs / targets, Autopilot worked normally again.

Here is something even more interesting. My service centre texted me back and said they do not do windshields at this service centre (Vancouver). So it is going to a Tesla certified bodyshop in Kelowna. I will ask them if they have any big screens they use in the process when I go.

Here is something even more interesting. My service centre texted me back and said they do not do windshields at this service centre (Vancouver). So it is going to a Tesla certified bodyshop in Kelowna. I will ask them if they have any big screens they use in the process when I go.
To be fair though, what has happened to me is considered extremely rare. They really do go through the vast majority of WS repairs with no impact to Autopilot.