Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bellevue, Wa service center last month, $585 for parts, $200 labor (plus tax). On ours they only performed "Pre-calibration of forward camera" and left a note that said we will need additional driving before calibration was complete. Took another 30 mins or so of driving before it finished.

I'm supposed to get another replacement because mine also has smudges between the laminate. It's worse than the tiny crack that was in the black (I paid for the replacement, but I feel like it was a defect also. You couldn't even feel the "chip").

I noticed this note in the app this evening.
Screenshot_20190821-214546.png

Reactions: davezforce
My replacement windshield has pretty gnarly ghosting at all angles. I’ve dropped it back at the SC after seeing if I could adjust to it for a month or so but it’s awful.

They tried to give me some runaround about it being an aerodynamic car and therefore double images are normal, I assume before they realized that this was replacement glass that I paid for.

They are now getting a specialized tool from another SC to determine whether or not it’s ij spec. I’ll wait for the outcome to see whether they make this right or not.

95F129A5-4F28-489C-A283-11172D82611C.jpeg

BBB0037F-5972-4680-9835-3B1741E53BF1.jpeg

The manufacturer(saint gobain whatever) must have been getting pressured by Tesla to push production since several months ago there was s shortage of replacement windshields.

There is probably a half square foot area on my current windshield that has the vertical "rippling" effect going on visible from the driver seat.

Gaaa, this is so frustrating. I made an appointment with the service center in Dublin CA and later got this text message:

This is Tesla Virtual Service reaching out regarding your upcoming service visit. Unfortunately Tesla does not perform glass repair/ replacement. Here are some contacts for your glass replacement needs. The first three are mobile companies. They will purchase parts directly from our service centers and work with your insurance. The last link is to our network of certified body shops in your area.
...and it went on to provide contacts with local glass shops, one of which is the one that said it would take 4-6 weeks.
Three months latter and, for a Model S if that matters, the Berkeley SC does glass replacements and claims that they do it themselves. it's odd that there's so much apparently contradictory information out there.

Pretty straight forward for me. Had my windshield replaced last week at the Buena Park service center. Did the appointment through the app and the nearest appt was about 6 weeks out. Made the appt anyway but I called the service center to see if they had anything closer considering I had a 3 year old and I explained having a cracked windshield was dangerous. They were nice enough to push my appt closer and they let me know they would be placing the order for the replacement windshield now so that by the time my appt came around, it would be ready for me. Dropped by car off, they gave me a Model S loaner. Took I believe 2 days and I was on my way. I was invoiced $1035.00. $585 for the windshield and $409 for labor.

How did you actually get a real person on the phone at a service center?

This was back in April/May when I made the appt so it could be that things are a big different now. I simply called the service center and someone answered. Didn't do any thing extra to speak with a live human. By your comment, it seems like that might not be the case anymore.

Nope, it's nearly impossible to call a service center and talk to anyone in service. I had to drive there.

Just got my cracked windshield replaced at the Plano service center after a 2-week wait for the part.
Labor $350
Windshield assembly $585
Dow BetaSeal Express (qty 2) $30 for both
Total: $965

Looking into zero deductible glass coverage since this was the second rock-to-windshield impact on consecutive trips on US 287 to Amarillo within the first year of ownership. First one was a chip, second was an explosion and crack across the driver's half of the windshield. :eek:

Service was excellent. They had it for 5 hours, and they were "backed up." I got a loaner Model S P85D with 55,000 miles. Made me appreciate my Model 3 more.

2018 Model 3, rock to the lower right windshield, crack developed over a few days to about 15 inches long. State Farm insurance. Called insurance, they recommended a whole list of replacement companies. The first one sounded like Joe's Payless Auto Glass. I was not about to trust my baby to a place with a name like that. I asked about Tesla, she said they had issues with Tesla accepting their approved cost. After going through a list of about 10 shops, I scheduled an appointment with Safelite. We had used them before successfully on another car years ago, and they came to us. She assured me they would come to me. They got me in with 2 days notice. But only at a location about 30 miles away. (although very close to the Tesla factory) Mobile service was like 2 weeks out. But as I was talking to Safelite, and answering their questions about lane keeping capability, and automatic windshield wipers, etc. I started to see red flags. I scheduled an appointment with Tesla Santa Clara on the app in like 5 minutes, for next Monday. I got the quote today, $1171. I scheduled both thinking I could cancel one after a nights sleep and little more research. After reading the horror stories about frunk clips and all, I think I will cancel Safelite and wait until next week to get it done right, and if not, at least they will be able to fix anything they mess up. Calling insurance now to find out how to get reimbursed, at least partially. I'll try to remember to update how it goes.

UPDATE: I called Safelite to cancel, was directed to website, they had my car listed as a Model S. I cancelled. Easy to use website though.

Last edited: