Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement needed, none available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a refresh 2016 S75 with AP. Got a crack in my windshield that seemed like a small chip but started growing steadily. I called the Fremont service center 2 weeks ago to schedule an appointment, and now they're telling me that they still don't have the part in stock and no estimate on when they will.

My insurance company also told me they only deal with Tesla for these kind of window replacements and that it couldn't be patched/fixed. (I honestly don't even remember hitting a rock or anything significant, there's not really a big impact mark).

In the meanwhile the crack seems to be getting bigger, covering well over 50% of the windshield now. Here are some pics. It goes all the way to the side-bottom of the driver side. Anyone deal with something like this before? Should I push for a loaner or something?

Attachments

• IMG_5165.JPG
    IMG_5165.JPG
    389.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 75
I had this problem a few months ago. OP, like me, you're in the Bay Area so you actually have quite a few alternatives for service centers. Call around different service centers and tell them what you need, you might get lucky. It only took me three tries to find one that had the windshield I needed and they fixed it two days later.

Good luck!

Bruce.

Reactions: Gandiva77
At the moment they say they are all backordered for my particular windshield model #. No eta at all.

Have similar issue, earlier stage on my 2014 S 85. have you gotten any love from Tesla service? Who should I be calling? Factory, insurance company, service center?

My insurance company requested a quote and will reimburse me after Tesla replaces the glass. I'd call both as long as your deductible is reasonably low (glass usually is). Paying cash it is surprisingly not as high as I thought ~ $650. I remember hearing it was over $1500.

2 weeks ago, on delivery day before I arrive, they replaced mine but did a lousy job with air leaks, glue all over including trim. Originally they want to replace it but said the part is ETA 4-6 weeks time; but eventually decide to fix the leaks instead... apparently making production has a higher priority ... good luck.

At the moment they say they are all backordered for my particular windshield model #. No eta at all.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, my initial service center had no visibility into what the other service centers had in stock, so I just called around. Maybe you should give this a try anyway, nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time. (I figured at one time there were 8 service centers within the radius I was willing to drive to get this fixed, and I could have called all of them within a couple hours.)

Bruce.

Reminds me of a discussion I had while waiting at a long traffic light recently. A guy in the car next to me honked the horn to get my attention. I roll down the window. He is super excited about seeing my X as he never saw one previously. Really excited about "Your really cool windshield." I ask, yeah, but no big deal. He replies with excitement, "Oh yea it is way cool, but I can't wait to replace it. I work for Safelite. I'll retire off the cost of that thing." :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: bmah