Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield stone chips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a preventive film option for stone and rock damage? I’d imagine if there is, there’d be some possibility of scratching, etc from the wiper blades after a time. But it might be worth a try.
There is a film coating that can be put on the windshield. However, it only lasts about a year from the wiper blades and just general debris damage. It was quoted to me at $500. Doesn’t seem worth it. I have a $0 glass deductible so it would be cheaper to just let the glass crack and replace every couple of years. My old Grand Cherokee had the original windshield after 8 years. I’m hoping this was just a fluke with mine getting a huge rock thrown into it. Time will tell knock on wood!

My Y is a rock magnet. I've had to replace my windshield twice and the rear passenger window once due to rocks. What the heck?!
Quoting Dave Berry, "I am not making this up!" (Actually, I'm NOT...he, of course, always does!)

I can honestly say that virtually every, single car I've purchased has had a windshield chipped within the first 3 months of ownership. Ditto for my 2021 MY, RIGHT DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE DRIVER!!!!

I don't think the Tesla windshield is any more prone to chips than any other car. IIRC, there are only 2 windshield manufacturers functioning in NA.

There is a film coating that can be put on the windshield. However, it only lasts about a year from the wiper blades and just general debris damage. It was quoted to me at $500. Doesn’t seem worth it. I have a $0 glass deductible so it would be cheaper to just let the glass crack and replace every couple of years. My old Grand Cherokee had the original windshield after 8 years. I’m hoping this was just a fluke with mine getting a huge rock thrown into it. Time will tell knock on wood!
Thanks, Schultz, for the info. At those prices, you’re right that it’d make more sense to just take my chances.

How many people have had their windshields chipped from stones/debris? I’m curious if this is a problem with the model Y. We have only had ours for 3 months and received a rock chip today that can not be filled. Tesla service quoted $1300 to replace the windshield! Luckily we have $0 deductible for glass replacement. Not a big deal except for having to tint the front windshield again. I’m hoping the aerodynamics of the car don’t make it more susceptible to windshield chips.
Our 2021 MY also received a windshield chip, just yesterday. More a hairline fracture really. Any advice for dealing with it? Should I notify Tesla dealer?
50 years of driving without such a windshield incident, so I guess I was due.
Thanks

CharlBors: Tesla dealer (nor any dealer!) can't really help you. They'll only send you to someone else.

Google for glass shops near you, visit a couple, make certain that "hairline fracture" doesn't spread.

There's nothing mystical about Tesla windshields. Removal/replacement requires skill, but many shops are ramping up. Tesla isn't the only car with fancy electronics behind the rearview mirror.

Our 2021 MY also received a windshield chip, just yesterday. More a hairline fracture really. Any advice for dealing with it? Should I notify Tesla dealer?
50 years of driving without such a windshield incident, so I guess I was due.
Thanks
I went to a local shop first to see if it can be filled. If they can’t fill the chip/fracture it will have to be replaced. You could try to drive on it for a while but mine was already spreading. Tesla is currently the only place that I know of that can replace their windshields. The main reason is Tesla will not sell their windshields to 3rd party installers for a discount so my local shop can’t make any money on the install. I called safelite but they also directed me to Tesla. The windshield is $13xx including installation. My ticket also indicated the SC made sure the cameras were aimed correctly for autopilot.
Side note: Tesla doesn’t work with insurance, so I had to pay out of pocket and receive a refund from my insurance company. I
We carry a $0 deductible for glass. If you don’t have that you might see about adding it on to your policy before filing the claim. That add on costs me $15 a year.