Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tint prevented camera calibration [fixed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Repeat thread: Posted in other forums

Since end Nov/Dec, I've experienced issues related to autopilot and sentry mode.

1) Auto Pilot constantly not available. It started intermittently but after about 2 months it's now completely unavailable.
2) Sentry Mode constantly turned off due to Sentry error. Usually after about 10mins, even if I manually turn it back on. It can still record when its turned on. I use Samsung T5 SSD
3) Heating seems to be generally focused on the back. It'll be super hot at the back but nice and comfy up front. If I turn the back heater off, the heater will generally focus on the foot area.

Brought my car in for servicing and was told they are all related, i.e. the dashcam/camera on the rearview camera is the problem. They tried recalibrating but couldn't fix it.

Now, here's the rub. They are blaming the issue on my tinted windshield, i.e. the tint installer messed it up when installing the tint on the windshield.

I had my windshield tinted back in April 2019 by Rodz Tint Shop and have had no problem until late Nov/early Dec. Tesla couldn't explain the lapse in time except "it could've failed over time".

So, it'll be out of pocket fix for me - replace windshield and camera.

Does this sound right?

I would tell them (Tesla) to provide the evidence that the tint install was the problem. The tint itself shouldn't be the issue as Rodz would (hopefully) know to not tint that part of the windshield (if they can even get in there).

I would also contact Rodz and let them know what Tesla is claiming.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Repeat thread: Posted in other forums

Since end Nov/Dec, I've experienced issues related to autopilot and sentry mode.

1) Auto Pilot constantly not available. It started intermittently but after about 2 months it's now completely unavailable.
2) Sentry Mode constantly turned off due to Sentry error. Usually after about 10mins, even if I manually turn it back on. It can still record when its turned on. I use Samsung T5 SSD
3) Heating seems to be generally focused on the back. It'll be super hot at the back but nice and comfy up front. If I turn the back heater off, the heater will generally focus on the foot area.

Brought my car in for servicing and was told they are all related, i.e. the dashcam/camera on the rearview camera is the problem. They tried recalibrating but couldn't fix it.

Now, here's the rub. They are blaming the issue on my tinted windshield, i.e. the tint installer messed it up when installing the tint on the windshield.

I had my windshield tinted back in April 2019 by Rodz Tint Shop and have had no problem until late Nov/early Dec. Tesla couldn't explain the lapse in time except "it could've failed over time".

So, it'll be out of pocket fix for me - replace windshield and camera.

Does this sound right?

It might be worth bringing it into a different service center. Another person posted about how their back windshield defroster wasn't working and serivice center told them it was an antenna back there not a heating coil so they wouldn't fix it. Where someone else had the same problem and their service center fixed it.

It would be interesting if you took off the tint and brought it to a different center. Maybe they don't keep good records. It's probably cheaper to get it retinted vs new window and camera.

So, I called Rodz Tint Shop and they explained the process, they tint around the camera but does remove the rearview mirror and covering to tape around it so that water doesn't damage the camera electronics. I personally do not think this as an issue with the tint job because the issue surfaced after 8 months.

The service advisor couldn't provide any evidence, his evidence is that the car is not factory, and work was done near the camera. He couldn't explain to me why this didn't happen as soon as the tint was done. And he's still not accepting responsibility and kept saying it's your choice. $2,022 to fix it if you want to. You brought the car to us, we gave you the diagnosis.

This is the quote and the exact wording

upload_2020-2-13_16-42-6.png
upload_2020-2-13_16-41-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-13_16-40-47.png
    upload_2020-2-13_16-40-47.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 470
I spoke to the manager of the SC advisor because the advisor wasn't giving me any explanation and was defensive. According to the manager, there is a square used by the camera as a reference and the tint is further than where it should be. So, his recommendation is to have the tint removed or cut further away from the camera and then recalibrate and see whether this fixes the issue. He also mentioned that the camera also uses color and the tint is possibly messing up with the coloring so these 2 items (reference line & color) are possibly blocking it from working properly.

He couldn't explain why it worked in the past and now recently, but did state that the software updates could make the cameras more sensitive hence it stopped working. And, he couldn't explain why a windshield replacement is needed so they're adjusting the quote/recommendation.

I spoke to the manager of the SC advisor because the advisor wasn't giving me any explanation and was defensive. According to the manager, there is a square used by the camera as a reference and the tint is further than where it should be. So, his recommendation is to have the tint removed or cut further away from the camera and then recalibrate and see whether this fixes the issue. He also mentioned that the camera also uses color and the tint is possibly messing up with the coloring so these 2 items (reference line & color) are possibly blocking it from working properly.

How dark is the tint on your windshield ? My windshield is tinted and I haven't had any issues yet....knock on wood....

According to the manager, there is a square used by the camera as a reference and the tint is further than where it should be. So, his recommendation is to have the tint removed or cut further away from the camera and then recalibrate and see whether this fixes the issue. He also mentioned that the camera also uses color and the tint is possibly messing up with the coloring so these 2 items (reference line & color) are possibly blocking it from working properly.
He couldn't explain why it worked in the past and now recently, but did state that the software updates could make the cameras more sensitive hence it stopped working. And, he couldn't explain why a windshield replacement is needed so they're adjusting the quote/recommendation.

This, actually, makes sense.
If the tint is the suspected root cause, removing it is FAR quicker and easier than replacing the windshield. The original proposed Tesla SC remedy was just full-on stupid.

Ditch the tint, see if that takes care of the problem.
If not, bring the car back to SC, and see what they say when they can no longer blame it on the tint.

Good luck,
a

@WendyT Can you post a picture of the AP tri-camera area from outside the car? (Does the tint extend up into the camera enclosure area?)

The only other thing I could think is that they got liquid inside the camera housing. Depending on what was in it that could end up causing corrosion over time, rather than instantly. (Ask people that bought "restored" flood damage cars about how many phantom electrical issues started popping up months after they bought the car.)

I'm gonna get the car today and hopefully have them show me the "square" and where my tint is. I talked to Rodz - they remove the rearview mirror and the housing to tape around the camera to prevent water from getting into the camera electronics. So, I suppose the tint was just applied too far in?

I'll post a photo later.

My windshield film goes to the edge of the square where the camera/sensors are. It does not intrude at all on the functions and car has no errors. That area is like the older cars third brake light setup in the rear glass - there is a border there and tint goes around it. Unless of course the installer slid the film into the camera area.

Here's a photo of the forward facing camera taken from outside. I've marked where the tint ends.

My tint is 70%.

That does look like the tint goes into the field of view of the cameras and it may make it see a line that isn't there and screw up the calculations. So getting the tint removed is probably the next step. (Tesla might have to trigger a recalibration afterwards.)

Reactions: john94si
I'm hoping Rodz can just cut it further out instead of taking the entire tiny off. I'm in CA and that's a huge windscreen.

Unfortunately, I think you're right, I most probably will have to have Tesla recalibrate it and fingers crossed, I hope it works. But, still doesn't explain the thermal sensor not functioning though.