Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wiper Visibility Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine are doing fine in our recent welcome October rains. We'll see how they do next month. I may have to end up walking in the cold November rain. The good news is that nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain.
@ohmman, I know you'll stick to your Guns, And life is no bed of Roses, but I suspect that Tesla's wipers are fine-tuned to California rain since everyone reporting they have no issues is from that lovely state. I wonder if "smearing" is a regional thing, due to different pollution content? For example, would Steel-town rain behave differently?

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo and ohmman
Another Californian weighing in. First time yesterday I drove my car in various rain situations. They cleared the windshield just fine from a streaking perspective, but I don't think I could tell you what their algorithm is.

At times they were swinging wildly in mist and other times not moving as much as I would want until many seconds later. They also did not slow down when we came to stops etc like every other car I have owned for the last 15 years.

Overall they we OK. I thought the big and mini blades were kind of humorous. Never noticed that before because, well, California.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
God I thought it was just me. Maybe it's a PNW/Seattle thing? Wiper clean going up, big ol smear coming down. Light or heavy rain, doesn't matter. I got some Aquapel for my rear camera to try to help with the visibility in rain but am leery of putting it on the windshield. I had bad RainX experiences in the past with it becoming white hazy after a while.

God I thought it was just me. Maybe it's a PNW/Seattle thing? Wiper clean going up, big ol smear coming down. Light or heavy rain, doesn't matter. I got some Aquapel for my rear camera to try to help with the visibility in rain but am leery of putting it on the windshield. I had bad RainX experiences in the past with it becoming white hazy after a while.
Aquapel has been flawless on my Model S windshield. I've kept it current for the last 2 years or so and there's no hazing. I have, however, had occasional wiper skipping. It doesn't last long but it's annoying.

What's the durability like for Aquapel for you? I know you don't get that much rain because I think you live near me, but in general?
I generally apply once a year. Somehow, I've applied three times in 2 years to my S, but I can't recall how that worked out. But it lasts a lot longer than my experience with Rain-X. All apologies to the Rain-X personnel represented in this thread. ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
I have the same issue with my wipers when it rained for the first time. I put rainx on it and it was good. 3 weeks later, the smudges are back. I guess it's time to reapply...

How do you apply rainx? This is the most annoying thing about my Mx and if nothing can be done at the service center than I have to try Rainx unless someone can recommend a better product? Bosch does not make MX wiper blades.

How do you apply rainx? This is the most annoying thing about my Mx and if nothing can be done at the service center than I have to try Rainx unless someone can recommend a better product? Bosch does not make MX wiper blades.
You wipe it on, let it haze, and polish it off. Similar to waxing a car. Aquapel, which I use, comes in an applicator. You rub it over the window, let it dry, and polish it off. The window must be completely clean prior to application.

It's very easy.

Rain X lasts for a very short amount of time. If it's raining every day you're lucky for it to last a couple weeks. Aquapel has gotten good reviews from what I've read. Also, people are using a lot of the coatings for paint on glass now to good effect (CQuartz, OptiCoat, etc).

I have Rain X in a spray bottle, which works okay. Faster than the older style of bottle with a squirt top. Rain X window cleaner and water repellant hasn't been great at all in my experience. It works no better at repelling water than any other normal glass cleaner in my experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Aquapel has been flawless on my Model S windshield. I've kept it current for the last 2 years or so and there's no hazing. I have, however, had occasional wiper skipping. It doesn't last long but it's annoying.

We also had Aquapel on our S and it worked great (much better than RainX)! We tried Glare Pro Polish on our X and it isn't as good, so we're going to be going back to Aquapel.

You may want to clay bar your windshield to get rid of all the junk that has built up on the window that limits the performance of the wiper blade/ assembly. Trust me, unless you have done this, you may think your window is clean, but I assure you it's not. This will get it super clean, then you can apply rain-x (or wax / whatever). IMO, wax / rain-x is not needed if you do this.

Link to Mothers Clay Kit:
https://goo.gl/Wg2xaG

The process is pretty simple and clay bar's are roughly $15 for a complete kit (see link) that normally include two full bars. Since you are only doing the windows, I cut them in half (or use what is left over from doing the body of the car). I highly recommend throwing the clay bar away or only use window bars on windows.. IE, don't clay bar the windows, then do your cars paint.

Also another tip, I use Windex in place of using the included spray when detailing the windows as all you really need the spray for is for lubrication, so save the detail spray for the paint :)

Last tip, use microfiber towels and use a new clean towel with very little Windex as your final pass. Don't forget to clean the rubber windshield wiper blade too.

On day 4 after purchase i used my spray on my Model S to clean the windshield. Right in my field of vision from the left edge to about 8 inches toward the center and about 4 inches up and down, the wiper does not wipe dry. Like there is dip in the windshield. The ranger came today and put a new wiper on. He said it is all done, but never tried it out. The windshield was dry. I tested it and it sill does not wipe that area. Thinking there is contamination he cleaned it with multiple things. Yes, i have already try that at home. It would not be so bad, but it is right in my field of vision. He ended up putting on the old wiper. He is reporting it and not sure what they are going to do. I will have to take to Service Center 250 miles away, I am afraid. Maybe new windshield? Anyone had this issue? Maybe different wipers?

• Love
Reactions: TaoJones
I don't know about the S, which I believe some of the posters are talking about, but the X blades may not be replaceable with stock blades. The washer fluid goes through the blades vs squirting up from a fixed place on the car. Check that out in advance if buying non Tesla. The D.S. replaced mine twice for free.

I've had wiper blades replaced twice on a previous X. In all three cases, they worked well for a day or two of rain but within a week were back to the same deficient performance - specifically, driver side, approx mid-blade smearing water on both the up & particularly the down stroke.
For someone 6 feet tall, this corresponds directly with the center of the driver's field of view through the windshield, toward the road/car in front.
Smear is approx 3-4 inches wide & follows the arc of the blade's travel.

I wonder if it's a fault with the blade (stock tesla in all cases), or the stalk/mount or the windshield glass. Perhaps the resting position deforms the blade near the center?

I've noticed nearly identical failure on 3 other model Xs I've driven.

It rained the weekend I had my Model X extended test drive. I put Rain X on the windshield (as I do on all my cars) and it made a huge difference. The biggest benefit of Rain X is not that you don't have to run the wipers as much, it's that the water beads into a tight pattern rather than spreading around over the whole surface. I often don't even run windshield wipers on my cars because anything above 45 miles an hour clears the windshield constantly.

Rain X on a Model X windshield is also incredibly cool. It feels like you're starting warp speed as all the water beads stream away around you.

Xminus6 is absolutely 100% on the money re.: RainX windshield wiper fluid. Stuff just works well. I swear by it on all my cars. Actually lives up to the hype.

It is simple, easy, and practical. I feel all new cars should come with it.

It keeps water from adhering to the glass. It works well. I consider it a safety item.

MHO. YMMV

(And no, I don't work for or hold any stake in RainX).

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate learning from your experience.

Tesla service explicitly recommended against rainX as it causes the wiper blades to “chatter” as they skip across the glass. I can verify this happened for approximately 5 weeks after rainX application on my modelX windshield.

How do _you_ avoid the blade chatter?

I wonder if it's a fault with the blade (stock tesla in all cases), or the stalk/mount or the windshield glass. Perhaps the resting position deforms the blade near the center?

I've noticed nearly identical failure on 3 other model Xs I've driven.

On my wife's Model X, I have been complaining about this issue to the service center since November 2016. This year the tech admitted that they're "working on the problem".

I find the wiper works better when new, and gets worse over time. The issue occurs when driving at highway speed limits or higher, and I think is due to wind lifting the driver's side blade off the glass at the bottom at those speeds. The wiper blade is simply too long in my opinion for the angle of the windshield at highway speeds. Compare the passenger side wiper, which is short, and fully cleans the windshield.

The wiper blades are replaced at your annual service interval, which from here on I will always do in November to prepare for winter.

Truthfully I don't find it to be much problem in the rain. However, here the road is covered in salt and that is sprayed up in a mist by other cars, making autopilot more than a convenience feature - essential safety when you arrive at your destination with your car's windshield looking like the attached photo:

IMG_20170304_142231.jpg

Reactions: FarmerDave
On my wife's Model X, I have been complaining about this issue to the service center since November 2016. This year the tech admitted that they're "working on the problem".

I find the wiper works better when new, and gets worse over time. The issue occurs when driving at highway speed limits or higher, and I think is due to wind lifting the driver's side blade off the glass at the bottom at those speeds. The wiper blade is simply too long in my opinion for the angle of the windshield at highway speeds. Compare the passenger side wiper, which is short, and fully cleans the windshield.

The wiper blades are replaced at your annual service interval, which from here on I will always do in November to prepare for winter.

Truthfully I don't find it to be much problem in the rain. However, here the road is covered in salt and that is sprayed up in a mist by other cars, making autopilot more than a convenience feature - essential safety when you arrive at your destination with your car's windshield looking like the attached photo:

View attachment 261050

Holy moly. I’ve been disappointed with my wiper’s performance (another PNW complainer!) but it’s NOTHING like this. Thank God.

I had the wipers replaced with the same result as others above. So I changed my focus to the windshield figuring Tesla had some gunk on there that the SC didn’t remove properly.

I tried Griots window cleaner, I tried Griots Speed Shine, I used a clay and polisher, etc. Nothing really helped. With night driving I’d always have a streak that would hamper my vision as opposing vehicle headlights shone at me. And in the daytime the wipers would just work poorly enough to annoy me.

So I tried, with some trepidation, a cleaning solution from mom: vinegar (diluted with water) and if that didn’t help, Palmolive dishwashing liquid. I cleaned only the driver side to let the passenger side serve as a control. I did use both one after the other, so unfortunately can’t say if only one would have done the trick, but WOW! I can finally see out my windshield, the wiper doesn’t streak, and the wiper doesn’t skip.

For anyone who is at the end of their rope, try a vinegar/dishwasher soap cleaning. I think the OEM wipers aren’t great, but I believe it’s the windshield that is the real problem. I’m so pleased with the performance over the last month and glad that my night driving/windshield wiper nightmare is over.