Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter charging issues, frozen charge ports, road trips

Is my cars range considered normal?

• Yes

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little surprised Tesla hasn't designed a new "Arctic Mobile Connector" or something that runs another lower voltage line from the box down to the handle of the connector that then heats the handle. You wouldn't need it getting real hot, just 40F or something to keep from freezing. You probably could even have the mobile connector only turn it on in very cold temperatures or something if you added a temperature sensor to it. Maybe an extra $100 compared to a replacement or something if you want to buy it outright or an exchange program of $50 + turn in a good condition mobile charger that came with the car, etc.

This is this third time this winter already that my mobile connector was frozen and wouldn’t unlock with the manual release even. Today I preheated the car on HI like Tesla recommends and I did so for over 30 minutes and I could only get it to release by pouring warm water over the connector! I never had this problem all last winter and it has made me late for work multiple times now.

For what it's worth, my car got a "silent recall" replacement of charging connector pins the last time I took it in for an unrelated service appointment. Supposedly, the problem the recall was mitigating were stuck charging connectors on some of the cars.

Sounds like you may be experiencing something along those very same lines!?
Just in case, take it in for service (you have to go, they don't pickup the phone anymore), and see if your car qualifies for the "recall", "campaign", "over the dealer upgrade", or whatever else they call it.

I wish the general public could understand just how safe Teslas are in this regard. Ask the average person if it would be okay to pour a bucket of water on an EV charging cable right where it is connected to the car and they would probably say “No, you’ll electrocute yourself!”.

I wish none of us would have to pour water onto our charging ports to get them to disengage. Ever.
There is nothing safe, convenient, or laudable about any of this!

a

I'm having then pin covers done this Friday in addition to the front hood latch adjustment and dual motor decal on the back. All three of these were added to my mobile service call for another issue, they just added those three things to my service request.
The problem with the pins are the ends come off into the charger connector and jam it up when trying to use it on another car. So I do not think this is the problem here.

I'm a little surprised Tesla hasn't designed a new "Arctic Mobile Connector" or something that runs another lower voltage line from the box down to the handle of the connector that then heats the handle. You wouldn't need it getting real hot, just 40F or something to keep from freezing. You probably could even have the mobile connector only turn it on in very cold temperatures or something if you added a temperature sensor to it. Maybe an extra $100 compared to a replacement or something if you want to buy it outright or an exchange program of $50 + turn in a good condition mobile charger that came with the car, etc.

Interesting idea, but I'm not surprised that Tesla hasn't done it. It would be much better done inside of the car where the parts are insulated from the air and wind, and where 12V is available.

It also would need to be activated only just-before removal due to the waste of power, so maybe the effect is similar to pre-heating the car.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, but I'm not surprised that Tesla hasn't done it. It would be much better done inside of the car where the parts are insulated from the air and wind, and where 12V is available.

It also would need to be activated only just-before removal due to the waste of power, so maybe the effect is similar to pre-heating the car.
I don’t know if it would, you probably could get away with fairly low power, especially if you’re just heating the metal parts that touch the car. Again, this wouldn’t need to melt ice, it would just need to stay a few degrees above freezing.

I don’t know if it would, you probably could get away with fairly low power, especially if you’re just heating the metal parts that touch the car. Again, this wouldn’t need to melt ice, it would just need to stay a few degrees above freezing.

The thermal energy in any system is distributed over that entire system, so that over time there is only one temperature for that system. So the heat that you put into the chargeport will be distributed over the entire car's frame which will be exposed to the air and wind.

So I'm not an expert either, but I think the amount of energy would be fairly significant. In fact, you might as well just pre-heat the car since the energy (convection/conductive) is mostly lost through the body, and that will warm the cabin for your use.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
The thermal energy in any system is distributed over that entire system, so that over time there is only one temperature for that system. So the heat that you put into the chargeport will be distributed over the entire car's frame which will be exposed to the air and wind.

So I'm not an expert either, but I think the amount of energy would be fairly significant. In fact, you might as well just pre-heat the car since the energy (convection/conductive) is mostly lost through the body, and that will warm the cabin for your use.

Mainly agree with you, but again the frozen point is probably just the metal on metal contact point in the charge port. If you warmed the device that was plugged in that should heat up faster then the transfer of heat to the rest of the car. Maybe you pulse it so every five minutes it turns on for two minutes or something to bring the pin temperature up to 45F or something to melt away any frost... or maybe that would cause more issues with moisture condensing on them as it cools back down. Either way I bet engineers could figure it out in a fairly efficient manner and using the lowest power. At least you would be heating the localized area rather then the full volume of air and then hoping the heat transfer from the air back to the metal body is enough to heat the charge port.

Ideally you would want a heated charge port from the car side that was insulated from the metal body structure, but that would require service calls which Tesla probably doesn't want to get into.

Mainly agree with you, but again the frozen point is probably just the metal on metal contact point in the charge port.

Don't know why you would think that. I was thinking you have some moisture expanded and jammed the plastic parts together. No idea really.

Either way I bet engineers could figure it out in a fairly efficient manner and using the lowest power.

Of course, just put a heater in the charge port and activate it in the settings somewhere. It would take a few minutes of course, so then you might as well have pre-heat the car. Then your cabin is warm and your charge point is unlocked.

The integrated heater only helps when you haven't thought or were unable to pre-heat, and when you are in a hurry. Really this was just a customer service issue - if they had answered the phone to help this guy, things would have been fine. I bet teslamotorclub forum would have been a better place for him to turn.

• Helpful
Reactions: Bandit
This is this third time this winter already that my mobile connector was frozen and wouldn’t unlock with the manual release even. Today I preheated the car on HI like Tesla recommends and I did so for over 30 minutes and I could only get it to release by pouring warm water over the connector! I never had this problem all last winter and it has made me late for work multiple times now. The car is parked in the same exact spot. Why is this happening this year and not last? Anyone else?! Could it be my mobile connector?

Take it to the service center and tell them you want the updated / latest model charge port so it won’t do this.

They replaced mine upon request with the new model which is in theory less susceptible to freezing.

Obviously this is a design/manufacturing defect.

They have tried fixing it in software, but it is fundamentally a hardware issue.

Well it's happening again like last year, only worse. If it's below 20 degrees, my charge port won't engage. I have a service appointment but I'm wondering if anyone has had their charge port replaced under warranty? The workaround is to immediately drive to the closest L2 charger and charge for about 30 minutes to warm up the port, then drive back to the supercharger. Not great.

Well it's happening again like last year, only worse. If it's below 20 degrees, my charge port won't engage. I have a service appointment but I'm wondering if anyone has had their charge port replaced under warranty? The workaround is to immediately drive to the closest L2 charger and charge for about 30 minutes to warm up the port, then drive back to the supercharger. Not great.
So I guess I am a little confused.... The car is not accepting the power from the supercharger or its just really slow?

I have heard that it can take 10-15 minutes on really cold days for the car to accept power from a supercharger. I just find it odd that it accepts power from L2 but not a supercharger.

Maybe I misread everything you said though...

So I guess I am a little confused.... The car is not accepting the power from the supercharger or its just really slow?

I have heard that it can take 10-15 minutes on really cold days for the car to accept power from a supercharger. I just find it odd that it accepts power from L2 but not a supercharger.

Maybe I misread everything you said though...

No you have that exactly correct. I don't understand why a supercharger won't trickle charge in these conditions, but if the pin doesn't lock a supercharger will not give you a single electron. L1 or L2 chargers will work at max 16 amps, which generally heats the charge port enough to lock it after about 30 minutes of charging, so you can then go back to a full charge, or drive back to a supercharger.

I have not heard that 10-15 minute issue with supercharger but it's definitely true for a cold-soaked battery on L1 or L2 chargers.

Sounds like something is wrong but I can’t say what specifically, sorry.I wish the general public could understand just how safe Teslas are in this regard. Ask the average person if it would be okay to pour a bucket of water on an EV charging cable right where it is connected to the car and they would probably say “No, you’ll electrocute yourself!”.
If you were ever needing to do this, at least stop the EVSE first!

I just installed a low-voltage heating strip underneath my charge port. I'll report back with results. The strip is designed for telescope dew prevention, so basically bath water temps, but in the space under the charge port I'm hoping this will stop my troubles. I'll report back- sorry I didn't take photos of the install.

68620449-2D69-46CE-90A2-983264F50A3D.png My garage maintains a temperature of 13 degrees Celsius even when it is below 0 degrees Celsius outside. Yet I see a message on the Tesla mobile app that the charging rate may be reduced due to cold temperatures. My M3 is connected to a Tesla wall connector charging at 48 amps 248v. I have not noticed any charging rate reduction. I’m curious if this information message is being generated because of outside temperatures or is 13 degrees Celsius really cold and can limit charging rates.