Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doug, I started from a warm indoor garage in downtown Toronto, full regen, +1 C outside temp. Drove about 50 km, mostly highway, in range mode, speed ramping down from 100 km/hr to 80 km/hr and energy consumption trending down from 250 W/hr per km to 200 W/hr per km with outside temp trending down from +1 to -1 C as I went north. The Cold Battery Pack warning came on when driving through a 60 km/hr area. I hope that provides some clues.

This is interesting.. so are you getting the "Battery is being warmed" warning as well ?..

...seems as if the battery is not being warmed by driving, instead, once it falls out of its 'optimum' temperature, the car starts to warm the battery up.. this means in long drives in cold climates, this would trigger constant "on/off' battery warming.

I've not seen the "battery warming" notice while driving. I've gotten it once I parked, even 300 km on the highway. So the battery is losing enough heat, presumably through the exposed bottom, to be below its ideal operating range while driving on the highway.

I can't tell if the battery is being heated while I'm driving on the highway. If so it's definitely nowhere near full power.

Because the battery is just bolted on, at some time in the future, there could be a "winter blanket" using the same bolts to insulate the battery during the winter months. Tesla service could do this at the same time that they switch the tires.

I've not seen the "battery warming" notice while driving. I've gotten it once I parked, even 300 km on the highway. So the battery is losing enough heat, presumably through the exposed bottom, to be below its ideal operating range while driving on the highway.

I can't tell if the battery is being heated while I'm driving on the highway. If so it's definitely nowhere near full power.

I get the "battery warming" almost daily after 5 minutes of leaving my office - always while driving - .. ( when the car has been parked outside for over 4-6 hours ).. and when i am stopped at red light, i can see the 'energy dial' showing about 6 Kw of energy with the heating turned OFF, so i am assuming its taking that much energy to heat the battery

We might not have the same firmware version, even if we both have 4.1. Have to check the (version). I've got 1.17.29, maybe you have 1.17.31?

Yes, I can also tell the battery is heating by the power draw when stopped. Would be nice to have a more direct display of that information. That and battery temperature.

Quick question... I'm anticipating Tesla delivering my vehicle by the end of January, but I don't expect for the stock winter tires to be available yet. From all the reports I've read here, I'm considering the Hakkapeliitta R's. However, where I live, most of the time the driving conditions are cold (below freezing) and dry roads. It seems from a cursory examination that the Hakkapeliitta's are really excellent for snow covered roads, but how do they fare in cold dry conditions? This whole snow tire thing is new to me, and after reading through this thread, has me petrified!

Quick question... I'm anticipating Tesla delivering my vehicle by the end of January, but I don't expect for the stock winter tires to be available yet. From all the reports I've read here, I'm considering the Hakkapeliitta R's. However, where I live, most of the time the driving conditions are cold (below freezing) and dry roads. It seems from a cursory examination that the Hakkapeliitta's are really excellent for snow covered roads, but how do they fare in cold dry conditions? This whole snow tire thing is new to me, and after reading through this thread, has me petrified!

Like any good winter tyre you're going to experience them as "soft" when driving on dry pavement, and the directional stability will not be great but I don't find this to be a problem - it's not like you are going to go off the road or anything, it's more that when you're doing sharp turns for example, or quick lane changes, it will feel a little "mushy" and it will take a split second for the car to "settle" in it's new path. But in general you're going to be driving a bit slower and more carefully in the winter anyway, even if it's bare, so I would recommend the Hakkas. If you drive a car with a winter tire and it feels just like a summer tire then it will problably behave like one as well...

It seems from a cursory examination that the Hakkapeliitta's are really excellent for snow covered roads, but how do they fare in cold dry conditions?

You won't be setting any lap records with them, but they are basically fine. The tire that would be good for many folks (WR-g2) doesn't come in the Model S' size--maybe next year it will because a number of folks have written to Nokian U.S.

This is interesting.. so are you getting the "Battery is being warmed" warning as well ?..

...seems as if the battery is not being warmed by driving, instead, once it falls out of its 'optimum' temperature, the car starts to warm the battery up.. this means in long drives in cold climates, this would trigger constant "on/off' battery warming.

I have not received the "Battery is being warmed" message. I have asked Tesla Service about the message, and they are looking into it.

We might not have the same firmware version, even if we both have 4.1. Have to check the (version). I've got 1.17.29, maybe you have 1.17.31?.

I am on 4.1 (1.19.29) ..so that could be the reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not received the "Battery is being warmed" message. I have asked Tesla Service about the message, and they are looking into it.

What is your firmware ?

Hmm... it has occurred to me that we might be talking about two different messages.

More important is actual range performance in the cold. I have demonstrated that you can do about 350 km at 90 kph at -12C with cabin heat in Range mode. I need to collect some more data points; I'd really like to know the range at -25C.

No charging stations I know of, or can find using the usual resources. I was parked there for about 4 hours' of skiing but I don't think I gave up more than a mile or two of range. I _did_ get the popup warning that the battery was cold and range may be reduced, however, as soon as I pulled into a spot and hit P.

As for winter conditions - the snow up there is firmly packed and shallow, so the Eagle RS-A's had no issue with it. Brief traction control override when I entered the slick I-90 on-ramp for the trip home, but otherwise zero drama.

More important is actual range performance in the cold. I have demonstrated that you can do about 350 km at 90 kph at -12C with cabin heat in Range mode.

Actually, i was told by my Tesla DS, that range mode wasnt 'good' for the battery, and would eventually lead to long term battery degradation vs. using 'standard' mode - and he advised against using range mode unless it was really necessary... but i see a lot of users are in fact using range mode .. so has anyone else heard of this ?

Actually, i was told by my Tesla DS, that range mode wasnt 'good' for the battery, and would eventually lead to long term battery degradation vs. using 'standard' mode - and he advised against using range mode unless it was really necessary... but i see a lot of users are in fact using range mode .. so has anyone else heard of this ?

There are two different "Range" modes - Charging Mode, which is the one that you are referring to - and a Driving Mode, which reduces the amount of energy utilized by the heating and cooling system (which is the Range mode that I have been referring to, and I believe that Doug is referring to in his posts). I have been using the "Standard" mode for charging.

There are two different "Range" modes - Charging Mode, which is the one that you are referring to - and a Driving Mode, which reduces the amount of energy utilized by the heating and cooling system (which is the Range mode that I have been referring to, and I believe that Doug is referring to in his posts). I have been using the "Standard" mode for charging.

Ah, understood...thanks for the clarification.