Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to keep harping on this, but this is one of my big concerns with re-gen on the gas pedal. I would really like Tesla to implement a software option to move it to the brake pedal.

The Model S Performance allows a LOT more wheel slip (with TC engaged) than the Roadster does. I believe this affects regen as well. The Roadster is completely 100% under control during regen deceleration. In fact the Roadster TC is very good in all snow conditions.

I think the Model S needs a snow mode, or at least a more adaptive algorithm.

... it's very hilly around here so don't freak out at the Wh/mil you see. That said, I ate 210 miles of range going 147 miles. Ouch.

I had a similar experience last week - used up 210 miles of range to travel 144 actual miles, keeping cabin at 70F and driving north on I87 to Albany (an "uphill" thru the Catskills) with ambient temp at ~20F. I got some of that range back though after plugging in.

I'm going to stitch the meter pics together and compare with the jurassictest site

TripToMilford.png

That site is fascinating. I'm curious, when trying to predict the actual energy use for a trip using that site, the two variables that I need to supply that can really impact range seem to be heating watts and rolling resistance in the rain. Does anybody know what values and ranges are typical for those? So for instance, I'm driving to work with 21" tires in the rain, outside temp is 40ºF, heat is set to 72ºF.

That site is fascinating. I'm curious, when trying to predict the actual energy use for a trip using that site, the two variables that I need to supply that can really impact range seem to be heating watts and rolling resistance in the rain. Does anybody know what values and ranges are typical for those? So for instance, I'm driving to work with 21" tires in the rain, outside temp is 40ºF, heat is set to 72ºF.

Use the Vehicle Energy Use Simulator. Values for the Model S are in post #19.

Now that the app is out, can anybody tell if 1) the cabin heat control also engages the battery heater and 2) if the current draw comes from the wall if plugged vs the battery?

Until further notice, I don't believe TM addressed any of the cold/snowy/humid winter concerns with the app

Hopefully they will address the following wish list:

- TM propose a winter tire package (like Nokian H) not only the Pirelli tires for cold
- An app/web app be introduced to heat the battery pack 30 min before leaving vs at all time the battery reaches critical temp waisting precious juice
- The ventilation system be adapted for winter (cold and humidity) => In the works, to be retrofitted optionally by Service Centers via service bulletin
- The car could draw its power from the wall vs the pack when plugged and parked (and not charging) to stay above critical temp
- There is a winter mode to allow for raising the Air supension permanently above 8mph
- The Traction Control at really low speed be tweaked to allow spinning since snow/ice driving requires some spinning
- A better range calculation algorithm introduced as the current one is not adequate

I did a "pack heat" experiment with the app this evening, but the results weren't conclusive because the car wasn't cold enough and I didn't have enough time heating it. I will try again tomorrow.

This afternoon after work and the car sitting in -10F to 0F weather I preheated for cabin for about 20-30 mins. When I got into my car not only was it warm but the I had full power and 15kw of regen. Normally on a day like today I would about ~80kw of power and no regen for most of my drive home.

Damn! got all excited for nothing! What is the app called? I can't seem to locate it when searching on Bluestacks

See BlueStacks emulation app thread

Short answer: the default app stores don't have it. You need to install Google Play first.

- - - Updated - - -

This afternoon after work and the car sitting in -10F to 0F weather I preheated for cabin for about 20-30 mins. When I got into my car not only was it warm but the I had full power and 15kw of regen. Normally on a day like today I would about ~80kw of power and no regen for most of my drive home.

I just started today's experiment. Cabin is at 2.5C and regen is limited to under 5 kW. Just turned on cabin heater using App. Stand by...

The following instructions for Bluestack worked for me:

First thing to do in BlueStack is to log in to your Google Account through settings.
That should update the AppMarketplace to Google Play
Then search for Tesla Model S and it should install OK.
You won't be able to log into the app!!!
Go back into BlueStack settings, select manage apps and change the Tesla App to tablet instead of default.
Now you can log in, but after logging in the display is messed up
Go back to settings and switch back to default from tablet.
Now you should be good to go.

We haven't had any snow here that I've been around to drive in except a little a few days ago. I left work and it was snowing... relatively messy roads. I decided to drive around the area to give the car a whirl ... drove up the steepest hills, flooring it, mashing the brakes, taking wild turns, etc ... The car performed pretty well. The T/C isn't as good as the Roadster's (yet); I shut off T/C once to see if I could do better / accelerate faster, and indeed I could (at the obvious expense of some stability). I'm not at all worried about driving it in the snow and/or getting stuck.

So here is how nuts I am and how badly I need the Tesla App to come out for iPhone.

Went to a movie tonight
Snowing and -14 out
20 minutes left in movie, pull out iPhone
Use Teamviewer app to connect to my iMac at home and take remote control
Start Bluestacks on iMac remotely
Start Tesla Model S App
Go to Climate control and start cabin heat
15 minutes later, go get into toasty warm Model S.
Love it

A workaround for now but i did enjoy it. Hopefully they can eventually put timed heating on the app as well as remote starting of Rear defrost and Seat heaters :)

Eight inches of lake effect snow here yesterday. I drove through, stopping and starting. I drove through the thicker snow plus plow snow areas. Over 10-12 inches thick. Please understand that lake effect snow is very "fluffy" compared to system snow. I did not need to raise the suspension to cruise right through.
The new traction control is definitely better for snow for me.

Eight inches of lake effect snow here yesterday. I drove through, stopping and starting. I drove through the thicker snow plus plow snow areas. Over 10-12 inches thick. Please understand that lake effect snow is very "fluffy" compared to system snow. I did not need to raise the suspension to cruise right through.
The new traction control is definitely better for snow for me.

19's with snows?