Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving around in my Xi3s now for a little while in this slush and snow, and I have to say it's dramatically better than the all season tires that came with the car. The traction, stopping power, control -- it's all better. Definitely worth it if you're going to encounter snow. Can't comment about the Hakkas, but the Michelin Xi3s are great.

I agree. I have the X-Ice 3's since I got the car 3 weeks ago and I have yet to get even close to being stuck or feeling a loss of control on icy roads, light snow or heavy snow (unplowed roads). The combination of these great tires and the Model S's weight and excellent traction and stability control make it the best winter driving I've ever had. Even flooring the accelerator on a snowy road does the right thing - straight-ahead acceleration with whatever traction it can muster. Amazing, really.

And our other car has the Blizzak WS70's and they have been great too. Don't know the Hakkas but I've heard good comments here.

Well I'm driving on Hakka 8's and am happy though haven't had real winter to really test them. Then again from Nokian website it seems Hakka 8 is available this winter in Europe only so all you americans are stuck with Hakka 7's or R2 or other tire manufacturers. The Hakka 8 launches in US for the 2014-2015 season. But I was reading about the Hakka 8's and was happy that I chose them over the 7's after reading as it seems they made it quieter and with lower rolling resistance (about 5% less than Hakka 7's) which is excellent for use on an EV :) And I still am of the studded belief that if you drive in snow the studded tires are not far from the non-studded winter tires in performance, but if you get on ice the studded win by far especially in breaking distance and maneuvering and those matters most. Of course if your country has banned studded tires, then you're just s*** out of luck.

I think there's a winter tire thread I should post this to, but I had a chance to drive another owner's car (thanks Bhuwan!) that has the Hakka R2's (I have the Tesla pirelli's) over the same route within minutes (so conditions were exactly the same). There's a significant difference between the two. I wouldn't classify it as an enormous difference, but there were spots that my car got stuck (and required shutting off TC and rocking the car) and his didn't (it was close, but it didn't get stuck). Plus they're cheaper to acquire on your own (vs. direct pirelli's from Tesla).

I think there's a winter tire thread I should post this to, but I had a chance to drive another owner's car (thanks Bhuwan!) that has the Hakka R2's (I have the Tesla pirelli's) over the same route within minutes (so conditions were exactly the same). There's a significant difference between the two. I wouldn't classify it as an enormous difference, but there were spots that my car got stuck (and required shutting off TC and rocking the car) and his didn't (it was close, but it didn't get stuck). Plus they're cheaper to acquire on your own (vs. direct pirelli's from Tesla).

Although I have not driven the Hakka R2's, I have driven the Hakka 7's with great success. It looks like they have put in what amounts to eco-sand into the rubber, from the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 web page:
The Cryo Crystal concept boosts the optimal lateral and longitudinal grip of the new tyre. Diamond-tough grip particles that have the appearance of a multi-edged crystal act almost like built-in studs, improving the tyre’s grip on ice. They grip the driving surface, providing sharp and tough grip edges. As the tyre wears down, the eco-friendly crystals that have been evenly divided into the tread surface come up and activate a grip reserve.

If I had to buy winter tires today, it would be the Hakka R2's.

Hi, @ChrisG,

Thank you for sharing your observations!

Like many other correspondents, I believe the tires make a significant difference. I am using 19" Hakka R2s and drove through a couple of snow storms over the last two weeks. I drive largely on highway, suburban and city roads, not rural. Plows are in evidence. There's a lot of ice, packed snow and slush.

My comparison points are a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro, purchased new in 2000 and driven through 2010; a 2004 Prius (used), from 2005-2010; a 2010 Prius (new), until I replaced it with the Model S earlier this fall; and a 2012 Prius v wagon (new). Also a 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood limousine (1982-1985), a Dodge Colt (1982-1985), and a 1987 Nissan Sentra (new through 2000). All cars were driven first with manufacturer-supplied all-season radials, and then with third-party replacements such as Toyos. Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to drive an A6 or A8/A8L in the snow, therefore no opportunity for what might be a more fair comparison between Audi and Tesla.

Obviously, there are significant differences between these vehicles and a Model S -- age, weight, size, front-wheel versus rear-wheel versus Quattro -- and I haven't driven the Audi since 2010, so there's also my fading memory to contend with.

The Audi A4 Quattro has been far and away my favorite for snow and ice performance. What a performer!

As for Model S... well, after reviewing as much material as I could on this website, I expected that the Hakka R2s plus traction control would turn my P85+ into something effectively drivable for the Boston winter. And I believe that is the result I have achieved. I can climb hills of significant grade -- even *accelerate* up those hills -- when covered with a mixture of snow and ice. The car is fairly easy to control. I can bring it to a full stop in a reasonable distance and time. As with all driving, matching your speed and turns to road conditions is critical. Model S with Hakka R2s easily matches and a times exceeds the snow-handling abilities of the Priuses, Sentra, Colt & Cadillac limousine -- perhaps a set of low bars. :) Certainly, 4600 pounds of Model S-with-Hakkas is chewing up icy hills that would give the Priuses pause.

Compared against the 2001 Audi A4 Quattro... well... I was able to drive the Quattro harder in these snowy conditions than I can Model S. With Model S, I can feel the traction control constantly fighting the desire of the rear-wheel drive to swap places with the front of the car. I feel more play in the rear and I don't like it.

I was surprised at how much more distance I need to safely bring Model S to a full halt. More than I was used to from my previous experiences. With Model S, especially on a down hill, if I haven't adjusted my reflexes to take the S into account, I can find myself with my foot pressed on the brake, ABS fully pulsating, waiting with bated breath to find out whether I'm going to wind up stopped before the traffic light or in the middle of the intersection. Of course, this situation is true with ANY car! If you're going too fast on snow/ice, you will not be able to stop quickly, no matter how wonderful your tires. With Model S, I think I'm mostly adjusting to the much greater weight of the car compared to Audi A4 & Prius. But there also just "feels" like "less" grippiness than I used to have in that A4.

In short, I think Model S is a decent winter car but that one should have different expectations for it than for, say, a Quattro-based car. I have had to make adjustments to my winter driving reflexes to take into account Model S' greater weight and rear-wheel drive.

Probably my single biggest fear when purchasing Model S had been its performance in snow and ice given its rear-wheel drive. This fear has been put to rest.

Finally, a Model S with AWD might be AWESOME in hard winter conditions as well as the rest of the year!

Alan

Hello,

I just returned from a one day winter driving course in the swiss mountains. It was snowing in the morning and raining in the afternoon. So we had all kinda fresh snow and slippery. As this is my first driving course ever I'm probably far from an expert driver and I did learn a lot today. This event was excellent to see how the Model S performes compared to other cars. Unfortunately it was quiet sobering. I drive a standard 85 with 19' Pirelli winter tyres with about 1000km on it and they still look like new.

The first excercise was a slalom course, with the traction control it did handle well and without it, it was fun to drive, even thou it's quiet hard to dose the accelration. Also the stabaliser did work a lot while having the traction controll off.

after that we tried to start uphill with the car, wich was impossible with the Model S. Even when it wasn't uphill, just some snow in front of the tires from braking it was hard to get away. I had to be pushed by people 3 times that day, and there was only one other car that needed that and only one time it was because I ended up in a bit deeper snow.

After that we did full brakes a bit downhill around 60 km/h, the Model S needed the most distance to stop from all the cars by about 10m. We also did some manuvering while braking. The ABS system worked flawlessly and I could avoid the excercise object with about the same speed as the other cars.

In the afternoon we had drove through a corse with tight corners. It had 3 Startpoints so we could drive on it with 3 cars at the same time and see who's back first after 2 rounds. Here I got 2 times the 3rd place. While my driving skill probably did matter most in this excersice we also did drive a few rounds with the 2 winners. A skoda oktavia and a BMW (no clue wich one ^^) both with 4x4 and the acceleration and grip on the snow was really something different.

After that we drove through a more street like roundcourse for maybe 15km. Like at the slalom it was fun to drive without the traction control but in the end I didn't really got the hang of dosing the accelerater good enough to really drift nicely and accerlerate good and the car broke out a lot. So I was alot faster and of corse more stable drive with the traction control on.

In the very end we tried to drive kinda fast backwards and make a 180° turn and drive away immediately. I didn't really got the front gear in while breaking and sliding around, it was most likely my missing skill, but maybe the electronics prevented that somehow, no idea.

You can say I suck at driving, that other winter tyres are better but like I said my experiences where sobering. So keep in mind we drive a heavy car wich does have some disadvantes. So drive carefully and don't get overconfident.

I was surprised at how much more distance I need to safely bring Model S to a full halt.

The Model S is a very heavy car, and I believe this is just physics. I have noticed this too on slippery surfaces.

- - - Updated - - -

Also despite the improved vents I had to put the defog on HI in order to mostly-clear the side windows. Until I did that the outer couple of inches of the windshield was fogged over, and as for the side windows I could only see the rear view mirrors - nothing else.

I was expecting the worst, but have been fairly pleased with how my new vents are working. I have not yet experienced anything that bad. I do find, in any vehicle, that window fogging problems increase with the number of passengers and I typically drive alone.

It is curious that Tesla chose to remove the side window vents from the A-Pillars that were on some of the early renderings and perhaps Alpha cars.

Anyone have problems with brakes not engaging (or not slowing down car) after not using them for 30 minutes+ while driving? I am assuming the break pads were cold / iced (was -10F outside), but I was surprised when the car suddenly wouldn't stop (and it wasn't on ice).

Last edited:
Anyone have problems with brakes not engaging (or not slowing down car) after not using them for 30 minutes+ while driving? I am assuming the break pads were frozen (was -10F outside), but I was surprised when the car suddenly wouldn't stop (and it wasn't on ice).

I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed that they seem really weak after going through the car wash.

I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed that they seem really weak after going through the car wash.

Most cars will exhibit that behavior after a car wash. Many will do it after going through a deep puddle.

Noticed my ICE car's radio LCD display was really sluggish-- comically so-- after a few hours in our extreme subzero temps. It operated fine but the display was just lagging.

Since the MS has several large displays, curious if anyone can report on whether they are performing as fast as normal after "freezing" the car?

Refresh and response changed?

The panels exhibit no change in responsiveness even at ridiculously cold temperatures (-35).

Noticed my ICE car's radio LCD display was really sluggish-- comically so-- after a few hours in our extreme subzero temps. It operated fine but the display was just lagging.

Since the MS has several large displays, curious if anyone can report on whether they are performing as fast as normal after "freezing" the car?

Refresh and response changed?

That's a good question, I don't know what it's like to get into a cold Model S.

Most cars will exhibit that behavior after a car wash. Many will do it after going through a deep puddle.

Yes and it's a standard good practice to do a few hard brakes after a car wash to get rid of the excess water or developing fast rust, same goes after a deeper puddle or whenever you suspect the brakes have been submerged for even a short amount of time. And this is especially true with the Model S where we hardly ever use the brakes. This is usually covered in drivers ed, at least it was for me ;) Same goes that if you're driving onto a puddle it's sometimes a good idea to slightly tap the brake (for us just do a little regen) to see if the car is aquaplaning and adjust accordingly.

Yes and it's a standard good practice to do a few hard brakes after a car wash to get rid of the excess water or developing fast rust, same goes after a deeper puddle or whenever you suspect the brakes have been submerged for even a short amount of time. And this is especially true with the Model S where we hardly ever use the brakes. This is usually covered in drivers ed, at least it was for me ;) Same goes that if you're driving onto a puddle it's sometimes a good idea to slightly tap the brake (for us just do a little regen) to see if the car is aquaplaning and adjust accordingly.

This is the same car wash I have taken all of our other vehicles to too. Otis much more exaggerated on the Model S than any of the other cars. We know to expect it now, the first time though it was a shocker.

I just need to share my winter driving experience.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 344
In my current driving experience I am longing for a good rain storm to wash all the salt dust off the roads and for warmer weather.

The traction is so bad in our area that I've gotten into the habit of rolling on the accelerator. If I don't the tires don't hook up until 35-40mph.

Also looking forward to less than 400kwh/mile. During the polar vortex I was seeing 600 for local around town trips.

In my current driving experience I am longing for a good rain storm to wash all the salt dust off the roads and for warmer weather.

The traction is so bad in our area that I've gotten into the habit of rolling on the accelerator. If I don't the tires don't hook up until 35-40mph.

Also looking forward to less than 400kwh/mile. During the polar vortex I was seeing 600 for local around town trips.

Ummm, what did you do before, floor the accelerator all the time?