Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the app, go to "Climate", then press the button, with wavy lines, at the bottom, on the right hand side to select "HI", it should thaw the charge port fairly rapidly. Might also work on the door latch. See page (12 of 193) in the manual or just search for "THAW"

Ah, that's useful ... I didn't notice that in the manual before ... my first winter with the M3.

Had this issue with most of my cars in the past.

‘just pull harder

Actually, it was pushing in the handle to get it to then open up that was the problem.

In the app, go to "Climate", then press the button, with wavy lines, at the bottom, on the right hand side to select "HI", it should thaw the charge port fairly rapidly. Might also work on the door latch. See page (12 of 193) in the manual or just search for "THAW"

Doesn't work on door handle. The car had pre heated.

Where is the inside cabin temperature probe btw? Inside the car was -0.7C, outside +0.5C according to TeslaFi. Cabin +25.5C after preheat - don't believe it. Thermometer must be stuck inside the cabin heater outlet.

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Doesn't work on door handle. The car had pre heated.

Where is the inside cabin temperature probe btw? Inside the car was -0.7C, outside +0.5C according to TeslaFi. Cabin +25.5C after preheat - don't believe it. Thermometer must be stuck inside the cabin heater outlet.
No idea where the inside temperature sensor is.
Had you turned on "HI", not just pre-heat. I read somewhere it only works if "HI" is selected.
Personally, I have only had the latch stick once due to washing the car & I keep it in a garage where the ambient temperature is (read as) 1C. The inside cabin heat, I set to 20C. Not sure what "HI" does, but it is supposed to activate other heater(s). Just tried it for a few seconds this am and it certainly increases the temperature in the cabin, beyond what I have it set for.

I have a couple of similar silicon spray (with and without ptfe) that I will try on the handle, but I had tried one of them on our old car door seal before that use to stick and it didn't seem to make any difference so didn't bother after that.

No idea where the inside temperature sensor is.
Had you turned on "HI", not just pre-heat. I read somewhere it only works if "HI" is selected.
Personally, I have only had the latch stick once due to washing the car & I keep it in a garage where the ambient temperature is (read as) 1C. The inside cabin heat, I set to 20C. Not sure what "HI" does, but it is supposed to activate other heater(s). Just tried it for a few seconds this am and it certainly increases the temperature in the cabin, beyond what I have it set for.

The temperature sensor is located just under the screen mount.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
If you do then you're going to need WD40 afterwards to get rid of the water or it'll be worse next time. May be a bit of a faf but better to fill an old fashioned rubber hot water bottle and press it against the handle area for a minute.

Not at all, as the water will get blown away, and dry up, the car warms up as well. it is the quickest and easiest thing to do, assuming you are at home.

Same for window screen, Luke warm water, then put on wipers straight away, clears instant.
(before anyone shouts NOOO you can crack the window screen I have been doing this for years, never cracked it yet, as I said Luke warm, not boiling.

Not at all, as the water will get blown away, and dry up, the car warms up as well. it is the quickest and easiest thing to do, assuming you are at home.

Same for window screen, Luke warm water, then put on wipers straight away, clears instant.
(before anyone shouts NOOO you can crack the window screen I have been doing this for years, never cracked it yet, as I said Luke warm, not boiling.

It was the car defrosters that cracked my X windshield in three places. So heat can definitely crack windshields, especially the large ones they use in Teslas.

I just use cold water from the tap - works on all but the very coldest of mornings and I'm sure pre-warming the car will make this even more effective.

On the S I believe there are heating elements under the wiper blades where they park. Can anyone confirm this?

I just use cold water from the tap - works on all but the very coldest of mornings and I'm sure pre-warming the car will make this even more effective.

On the S I believe there are heating elements under the wiper blades where they park. Can anyone confirm this?

Our 6 year old Fiesta has a proper fully heated windscreen ... it came as a surprise that such things didn't come with all high end vehicles.

Reactions: ringi