Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires and Rims - Canadian Availability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer the turbine look of the Replika R187. They don't need a centering ring and they fit the Tesla center caps, which are, surprisingly, only $5 each from Tesla. And that's Canadian dollars!

9242016121356.jpg
924201612130.jpg

Very nice... I use the Rial Lugano from tire rack. Also fits the centre caps. Several finishes available, I think mine are the Graphite.
I too am running on the Rial Luganos. At the time I got them they were one of only 2 such similar options, and by far the cheapest. However at this point the Replikas are cheaper than the Rials, and I haven't seen any reason that they would not be just as good, as such, if I were in the market right now I would likely chose the Replkcas instead.

These are the 19" Replika 141A Hypersilver mounted on my car... Apparently styled after BMW wheels... (posted in another thread too, about lowing suspension links). So the look here is lower than you can achieve with stock air suspension.

These have Xice3 mounted. Nice quiet rubber.. very quiet for winters. Who cares about rolling resistance?... if that translates to a more planted grip on the winter roads, I want it.

They do require a centering ring on the wheel because the bore is bigger than stock. But ... no issues after first winter of ownership, going into their second now.

Another thing to note in the pictures is that I painted the brake disc hats with a cold galvanic (zinc) spray, which gives them a different look - stock hats are quite silver. These are quite grey. Which beats quite rusty, which was how they were starting to look!

View attachment 199941 View attachment 199942
Those are BMW M5 replica rims. They do look very similar to the stock 19's from Tesla.
IMG_0001_4.jpg

Are they any cheaper than the other Replika options that have better looks? (or do you prefer the look of these to the turbine look?)

In my case, it probably came down to a few things, availability number one (I needed them "now!") and I was working with limited selection from a manufacturer who wholesaled a few brands through 1010tires... They were willing to do a straight replacement for Braelin's under warranty (which were not standing up to our winters). So having a "winter ready" wheel was a real necessity as well. Anything with a machined finished that is clear coated is NOT sufficient for Canadian winter. If the wheel seller and manufacturer don't warrant a wheel for use in winter, I won't buy it. It's something you should be clear on before ordering.

Beyond that, wheel style is all about preference... "shoes for your car" .. so get what you like. At a price you're willing to pay.

The turbine look is OK. Caught my fancy for a while, then grew tired of it before ever buying. In all honesty, if I need to replace my all-season (stock 19" wheels) I would go with an aero-effect design looking at cutting down wind resistance. ..so something more flat and looking more like a hub cap less of a mag, but not cheap. My eye is out for that.

Now that I see Replica 163 style, I could have just as easily gone for those when I shopped the 141 style. Maybe these weren't out yet when I was buying. But they are super close to Tesla OE 19" wheels too, see:
replika.PNG

Last edited:
Anything with a machined finished that is clear coated is NOT sufficient for Canadian winter.

Where I live we don't get a lot of snow, if any, during winter, it rarely goes below freezing, and the last time I checked I was living in Canada.

But I will be taking my Tesla over the mountain passes to my cabin, and I already have earlier this month through snow and salted roads, but I washed the salt off the rims when I got back to the wet coast. In fact, the heavy rains washed most of it away anyway just during the drive home.

Clear coated wheels ARE more than sufficient for my Canadian winters.

Where I live we don't get a lot of snow, if any, during winter, it rarely goes below freezing, and the last time I checked I was living in Canada.

But I will be taking my Tesla over the mountain passes to my cabin, and I already have earlier this month through snow and salted roads, but I washed the salt off the rims when I got back to the wet coast. In fact, the heavy rains washed most of it away anyway just during the drive home.

Clear coated wheels ARE more than sufficient for my Canadian winters.

If you're happy not having corrosion warranty, pick whatever you want.

Here's a random sample, which of these two wheels do you think Braelin will help you out with if you notice corrosion problems... and they notice you have a Canadian address?

Capture.PNG

Answer: the wheel on the left you have a hope. The wheel on the right, no hope.

Last edited:
If you're happy not having corrosion warranty, pick whatever you want.

The model I got, Replika R187 is a "Winter Approved Finish":

https://www.replika.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=r187&fn=gloss+gunmetal
See the last line of the specs:
"Winter Approved Finish: Yes"

Corrosion is covered unless "caused by neglect":
https://www.replika.ca/garantie.aspx?lang=en-US

I won't be neglecting them and I'm certain your wheels have the same exclusion but where's Braelin's warranty? You won't find it online - not a good sign!

and they notice you have a Canadian address?

Replika is a Canadian company!

But seriously, I paid $775.96 (Canadian!) for all 4 wheels. If something does go wrong, it's barely worth the hassle.

Last edited:
I prefer the turbine look of the Replika R187. They don't need a centering ring and they fit the Tesla center caps, which are, surprisingly, only $5 each from Tesla. And that's Canadian dollars!

View attachment 199959 View attachment 199960

This is exactly what I want. I'm getting the run around (Kal-Tire, 1010) that they don't exist.
where did you get them? who did you deal with?

This is exactly what I want. I'm getting the run around (Kal-Tire, 1010) that they don't exist. where did you get them? who did you deal with?

That's funny because I had both KalTire and 1010Tires with them, and had to cancel one of them.

Randy at 1010Tires in Richmond installed mine. It took him about a week to get them.

Kal-Tire initially told me the end of November but then they arrived early -- the same week as 1010Tires arrived, but I cancelled KalTire since I had already committed to 1010Tires and KalTire had told me initially the end of Nov. Both shops are great to deal with.
The wheels KalTire ordered for me may be in stock at their store since he told me they shipped -- you might want to call:

Ajay Kooner @ Kal Tire
10090 King George Blvd.
Surrey, BC,
Phone: (604) 588-8473

Tell him that you want the Tesla rims he ordered (actually Replika R187 - but mention that he ordered them for the Tesla) then were cancelled. He actually knows of this thread since I emailed him @SmartElectric 's post here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1525164/

And he said it was helpful since he contacted Hammond at the Toronto KalTire store to figure out how to order them. He said he also was looking forward to working on a Tesla so he was disappointed when I cancelled but he understood since I had already committed to 1010Tires when he told me he couldn't get them until late November. Then the next thing he tells they are already shipped so he may have them.

BTW, Kal Tire was $190/wheel (plus $35 shipping) whereas 1010Tire was 193.99 (no shipping cost). So there's little difference in price. Both were a lot cheaper than the MSRP of $272.51.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Corrosion is covered unless "caused by neglect"
https://www.replika.ca/garantie.aspx?lang=en-US

I won't be neglecting them and I'm certain your wheels have the same exclusion but where's Braelin's warranty? You won't find it online - not a good sign!

Replika is a Canadian company!

Well, Braelin is a subsidiary of Fastco here in Montreal just like...Replika! ;)
http://www.fastco.ca/products/our-alloy-wheels/

If you read upthread (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1294657/ ), I got some 'winter approved' Braelin (black finish) after chatting with Scottm and his bad experience with Braelin 'non-winter approved' wheel.
They were not clearly identified on the site at the time he had ordered.
Mine still look good after their first winter so I believe they will hold-up just as well as Replikas!

I had chosen the Braelin because they didn't need any fitting ring, they were machined just to the right size for the S and they looked quite different from either the standard or the turbine wheels from Tesla.

See my warranty paper attached below, from Fastco...so also same warranty as Replika.

IMG_3317.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, this thread is about winter wheels.

Going into my 4th winter with the rials and they are still in good shape save for one where a curb took a bite out of one. Have X-ice 3s mounted on them and have been very happy with the winter performance so far. My average wh/km for the last 2 weeks with the winter wheels has been 177 compared to 205 with the 21s running Michelin Super Sports through this spring/summer. However as soon as it gets colder and the snow fly's I'll be back in the 200s

• Informative
Reactions: S'toon
rial_lugano_gs_sr190.jpg
rial_luganooe_bs_sr190.jpg

These are the two Rial Lugano finishes that accept the Tesla OE caps....I really like having the OE caps, i think it's a nice touch. Those Replika R187 look great too though (and also take the Tesla caps) and with the current exchange rate I would probably buy them right now if I was buying a set, or the Replika 163, both are a great price, and in Canada.

I just had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 put on my OEM 19" wheels - at Kal Tire (excellent service)
So far they seem pretty good in the wet, and not noisy on dry.

The R2s have a $50/set instant rebate on right now, until Nov 10.
Next spring once I finally make up my mind on which summer wheels, I'll buy a set on which to mount the old all-season Michelins. will be keeping an eye on this thread for other wheel ideas, keep the pics coming...

Reactions: SmartElectric
I just had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 put on my OEM 19" wheels - at Kal Tire (excellent service)
So far they seem pretty good in the wet, and not noisy on dry.

The R2s have a $50/set instant rebate on right now, until Nov 10.
Next spring once I finally make up my mind on which summer wheels, I'll buy a set on which to mount the old all-season Michelins. will be keeping an eye on this thread for other wheel ideas, keep the pics coming...

That is exactly what I did a couple of years ago (Hakka R2's on the stock rims by Kal Tire). I ended up buying silver Rial Lugano rims and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack in the US and had Kal mount my original rubber onto them. That was back when the CDN/US exchange rate was a lot better!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Found these 19" puppies on Kijiji for $599+tax at Union Rims..

Perfect fit for the Tesla model S.. made in England..
Bought TMPS from Tesla for $300
Michelin 19" x-ice 3 from Tires 23.

All together is $2400 CAD after tax!

Attachments

• 20161104_182141.jpg
    20161104_182141.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 137