Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiper fluid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted about this yesterday, but now cannot find that thread. Sorry if you see it twice.

My 2021 Model 3 now gives me a message that the wiper fluid is low. I looked it up in the manual, and it says you need to use wiper fluid, not water. Is that true? Not distilled water. either?

Is wiper fluid available at all auto parts stores? If so, are some types and brands better than others? Or all the same? (Today in Target, I looked in their small auto parts section, none there.)

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if this is considered a "dummy" question, but I have never before done this on any car, I guess because my prior cars were gas cars, that was done when one brought the car in for periodic maintenance-oil change, etc.)

I posted about this yesterday, but now cannot find that thread. Sorry if you see it twice.

My 2021 Model 3 now gives me a message that the wiper fluid is low. I looked it up in the manual, and it says you need to use wiper fluid, not water. Is that true? Not distilled water. either?

Is wiper fluid available at all auto parts stores? If so, are some types and brands better than others? Or all the same? (Today in Target, I looked in their small auto parts section, none there.)

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if this is considered a "dummy" question, but I have never before done this on any car, I guess because my prior cars were gas cars, that was done when one brought the car in for periodic maintenance-oil change, etc.)

Here is a 4 page thread about wiper fluid that you can read through:

I deleted your other thread because the way it was written made it sound like you had never even heard of windshield wiper fluid, which I found impossible to believe so considered it a troll thread, not "what type should I use" which is a regular type question.

Reactions: maiki
Here is a 4 page thread about wiper fluid that you can read through:

I deleted your other thread because the way it was written made it sound like you had never even heard of windshield wiper fluid, which I found impossible to believe so considered it a troll thread, not "what type should I use" which is a regular type question.
Not that I had never heard of it, but for the reason described in my OP above, I had never used it nor bought it before. Certainly not a "troll thread".

Thanks for the link about the other discussion. I will check it out.

I DO NOT use any fluid with RainX or similar because it can drive the auto wiper function crazy. Also no ceramic coatings in the are of the cameras which are behind the windshield top center. No knock on RainX. It is great stuff. But it confuses the auto wipers. I do use fluid that freezes below 32 deg F though because sometimes I go where it is freezing.

Reactions: maiki
Well, I don't go to gas stations any more., for an obvious reason LOL. I looked in the small auto section of a large Target in LA, none there. I'll have to find an auto parts store.
Funny thing, I looked on street view at some gas stations around Santa Monica and Venice and couldn't find any blue bottles outside. In NY every gas station has them. And every supercharger located at or near a gas station will have them. I always have the last third of the bottle in my frunk until I run out again.

Flammable window washer fluid? I have never heard of this...And, since there is no info on the bottle about the type of fluid, is it ok to use in my Tesla? ( does it eat plastic tubing?) Sold at AUTOZONE..and the people there knew nothing about it.
;;;;
20240124_134007.jpg