Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Just thought I’d share this pearler from the SC.

Like many others, the auto wipers on my MYLR23 have a mind of their own, come on when it’s dry and sunny, won’t work properly when it’s dull and wet.

Contacted the SC, they’ve turned around and said that this is due to switching from sensors to camera dependency.

So, if it’s not bad enough that the car can’t judge distance anymore due to the abysmal Tesla Vision, I now have wipers that don’t work on auto. SC advice was “use your wipers manually.”

Awesome.

Hi all

Like many others, the auto wipers on my MYLR23 have a mind of their own, come on when it’s dry and sunny, won’t work properly when it’s dull and wet.

Contacted the SC, they’ve turned around and said that this is due to switching from sensors to camera dependency.

So, if it’s not bad enough that the car can’t judge distance anymore due to the abysmal Tesla Vision, I now have wipers that don’t work on auto. SC advice was “use your wipers manually.”

Awesome.
The M3 and MY wipers have always been entirely dependant on the camera. They never had any other kind of sensor as far as I can tell. Maybe the MS did at one time so when they say "its due to switching from....." Its a bit like me complaining to Samsung that something does not work on My Galaxy S21 and them saying it worked fine on the feature phones we made in 2012 never mind.

In old AP1 days (mobileye tech) they had a rain sensor for the wipers. There was a lot of good about AP1, and to think mobileye are 2 maybe 3 hardware and software generations on from that tech.

But back to the wipers, I've never had a dry wipe that some get, and when its raining they're either ok or you can just turn them on to a set speed and you're good until the rain changes materially. But like a few have said, its the intermediate state thats the issue like light drizzle. I've read that a squeeky clean windscreen in front of the cameras and its better (relative term), but it's hardly practical to get out and clean a dead fly from your windscreen every time you get one. I typically wipe manually when needed or put them on a defined speed if the rains bad enough.

From a basic physics perspective, I don't know how it would even be possible. If you're into photography you kind of know that the cameras probably won't really see anything on the windscreen, certainly not a little moisture, the image might just look a little distorted but thats constantly changing anyway because you're driving. So is it looking at the road to see if its wet? I just can't phathom how it could ever work it out.

Hi all

Awesome.
Yes i got told it was due to them being Beta. Obviously I wasn't told this when I purchased the car, only after when I complained.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Imagine saying "our wipers are in beta" with a straight face. And people just accept that.

It's not like wiping a screen is the Manhattan Project... when the windscreen has moisture on it, you actuate a motor which clears the screen. That's it. The aforementioned rain sensor is a tried-and-tested, highly refined component - it doesn't need to be reinvented, there is no benefit to anyone except Tesla's bottom line to attempt to do so.

I generally use my stalk to perform single wipes on my MY22LR when the rain isn't steady. As if I had a hand crank wiper. When it does become steady, I can turn them on, but of course rain is usually variable, at least where I am. So a few miles later the wipers are skipping across a dry windshield. Off again, stalk when it starts up, etc. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Driving an electric car with a flat screen felt so futuristic when I got my 2014 Model S. Now I feel like I'm in a Model T.

The bigger problem, at least for me, is that when engaging AutoPilot the wipers are set to AUTO. They can not be overridden. The result is that often the AutoPilot is useless when the wipers sense rain, or if there are insects on the sensor area. It's very annoying and there is no fix. The service team suggested I wipe the sensor area near the front rear view mirror often with distilled water and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Not much fun driving home 250 miles at night in the middle of the summer with bugs surrounding the car.

Ok, shall we move on to the next topic in the agenda - it is oh my god, you can’t make this up - it is auto headlights 🤷‍♂️
Isn’t the solution simply for Tesla to sort the problems then people won’t have anything to talk about?

Expecting people to stay silent when there are some significant issues for some isn’t really going to focus Teslas attention on sorting the problems.

Many an issue has been sorted after problems have been widely discussed and continued to be discussed until sorted.