Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging doesn't work with multiple phone cases?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my MY yesterday - the charging works when I take my iPhone (or my wife's Samsung Note 9 out of the case) - but the moment we put any case on (a thin Otterbox rubber case) or even a slightly thick case on either phone - doesn't charge. I wouldn't think that a thin rubber case prevents any charging.....

Any tips? I don't want to buy the QI aftermarket charger since it would be stupid money spent for something that should have been stock......thanks in advance!

I think the fact that it works with the case on other chargers means the Tesla wireless charger is weaker or the padding is too thick on the pad. I also wonder if it has to do with the age of the phone on top of that. I am using an S8+ which is getting on 3 years now. Maybe the wireless charging tech has improved and it isn't an issue on newer phones.

I think the fact that it works with the case on other chargers means the Tesla wireless charger is weaker or the padding is too thick on the pad. I also wonder if it has to do with the age of the phone on top of that. I am using an S8+ which is getting on 3 years now. Maybe the wireless charging tech has improved and it isn't an issue on newer phones.

perhaps the QI charger or etc. is just much better - i have a week old iPhone 11 Pro Max and my wife has the Note 9; work perfectly fine outside of the cases - sucks to have to spend like $70 or so just for another charging - guess i don't need wireless charging that badly lolll

Everyone needs to complain to Tesla bout this, as it needs to be addressed. If their wireless charging pad can’t charge through normal phone cases, then it’s a flawed design.

But it does work with Normal Phone Cases. Wireless Charging is Finicky. Our Iphones are having no issues and my Wife and I have different cases including otterbox.

Reactions: empiredown
But it does work with Normal Phone Cases. Wireless Charging is Finicky. Our Iphones are having no issues and my Wife and I have different cases including otterbox.

Hmmm... Then maybe some of the charging pads are faulty. I've seen a handful of reports that it won't charge iPhones in very normal or slim cases. The OP of this thread says it only work with their iPhone and Note9 if they're out of the case.

So far I've seen at least 5 reports between here and Facebook where people say their iPhone X or 11 Pro (regular or Max) won't charge in an Incipio DualPro or other thin case and they have to take it out of the case.

I found that certain cases don't fit under the lip well enough which doesn't allow the phone to align correctly. To test if that's the issue, raise the charge pad and slid the bottom trim piece towards the drivers side. It will pop off and you can try seeing if the phone sitting down lower helps.