Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless front parking camera with monitor for front bumper protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the ORACLE solution has a wireless remote that controls the relay? Or are you using the homelink with the ORACLE to switch the display? I'm not clear on how you are controlling this.

The Oracle power device is programmed to Homelink so you don't need the Oracle remote. Homelink trgigers +12v from the Oracle power device to the relay. When the relay is powered through the Oracle device it connects the front camera to the touchscreen. However, when there is no power the relay switches back to the default connection: rear camera connected.

Last edited:
The Oracle power device is programmed to Homelink so you don't need the Oracle remote. Homelink tigers +12v from the Oracle power device to the relay. When the relay is powered through the Oracle device it connects the front camera to the touchscreen. When there- is now power the relay switches back to the default connection: rear camera connected.

I guess those of us with 3 Homelink gates still need the Oracle remote:frown:

Use the reverse lights as the trigger. By default display the front camera. If the reverse lights are on, switch to the rear camera. Tapping into the 12V feeding the rear lights shouldn't be that difficult, and could even power the relay. Fail open = front, closed = rear.

Could possibly put a night vision camera facing front and displaying..THAT would be cool.

Made major progress today toward installation of the front camera. Finished installation of the cables and connectors for the Tesla camera, connected them to the touch screen, and ran a few tests. It works like a charm, as the photos below indicate. All that’s left is to finish the PCB then attach the front and rear cameras as well as the touchscreen connections and I’m done. This should take about a week.

This is terrific. Thanks for blazing the trail.

I have been following your adventures for a long time and am glad you are "successful" !!!

I am interested in the same thing for my car also.

Would love for you to install it on my car for me or sell me all the stuff and directions for the full hookup.

howard red p85+ in cinci ohio

You could have one homelink setup for the front camera and one of your gates. When you press to open that gate, the camera would switch as well, no big deal. Just remember not to switch the camera within vicinity of that gate, don't park close to that gate, and you are ok.

@artsci:
Off topic but I noticed that your nose cone has carbon fiber finish. How did you do this? I have a scratch that I would like to hide (too deep to buff it out).

That's carbon fiber wrap. I had it done locally.

- - - Updated - - -

Count me in on this mod!!

QUESTIONS:

Estimated cost for parts: camera, cables, etc.?

how long does the front camera stay on when connected to homelink?

When all is said and done, about $600.

As I've not programmed Homelink with the Oracle device yet, I'm not sure how long it will stay on, but I think until it's switched off by hitting the Homelink button again.

- - - Updated - - -

Great work! - And I see that all of your work was supervised by a K-9 :smile: Yours?

That's my Yellow Lab, Button. She wants to be near me all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been following your adventures for a long time and am glad you are "successful" !!!

I am interested in the same thing for my car also.

Would love for you to install it on my car for me or sell me all the stuff and directions for the full hookup.

howard red p85+ in cinci ohio

If it all works, I'm thinking about offering a PCB kit with the Amphenol jacks, digital relay, and instructions. The camera will have to be purchased from Tesla and the cables/connectors from Tesla or sources in China.

3 is a Homelink limitation. Arbitrary but I believe cost savings/profit motivated.
I have 4 homelink buttons on my XJ8. I g uses Jaguar can afford a real switch better than Tesla can afford a few lines of code - oh yeh, they only have one programer and he's busy with the European stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

If it all works, I'm thinking about offering a PCB kit with the Amphenol jacks, digital relay, and instructions. The camera will have to be purchased from Tesla and the cables/connectors from Tesla or sources in China.
Count me in when you have it ready

I have 4 homelink buttons on my XJ8. I g uses Jaguar can afford a real switch better than Tesla can afford a few lines of code - oh yeh, they only have one programer and he's busy with the European stuff.

That's the first I heard of >3 buttons. Is it possible you have a Homelink version prior to 4.0? People who have disassembled recent Homelinks cite an EEPROM limited to 3 codes, due to licensing restriction of the learning code firmware.

By the way I realized there is one solution to opening your 4 doors with 3 buttons. You can get a Homelink repeater which controls unlimited number of openers and is triggered by one code. If all in one place then you must live with at least 2 opening together. Or if multiple locations then you need separate repeaters responding to the same code (if repeater mounted at gate), or you mount repeater on car and preprogram it to squawk all your gate codes when triggered.

Last edited: