TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

wiring harness under center infotainment system

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MY T, Nov 24, 2014.

1. MY T

MY T Member

I was installing an LED light to light the floor under the infotainment system and noticed this wiring harness behind the storage tray after I separated it from the touchscreen housing. Does anyone know what this is designed to go to? I have a 2014 P85+ with all available options including autopilot hardware delivered sept 28.

I was thinking maybe a stock center counsel or an ashtray with power that was originally designed but not implemented?

20141123_140948.jpg

2. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Would you please take some very close up pics of the connectors? The one on the left looks like it could be an antenna connector. Any part numbers visible?

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

The one on the left looks like one of the Ethernet connectors similar to the one used to connect the technician laptop to the car.

4. liuping

liuping Active Member

If there is switched power and ground available, it might be a nice power source for my dash cam, without slicing into any wires.

I was going to use the OBD, but it only has constant power and ground, and I don't want my dash cam running 24/7. I'm currently using the cigarette lighter port, but not a fan of the cable showing.

5. MY T

MY T Member

I'll take some close up pictures tonight and re-post.

6. freds

freds Member

It's a diagnostic connector giving access to various data buses in the car. The service center recently monitored a long road trip I took with a data recorder hooked up to this connector.

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Both are for this purpose?

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

That's odd. Isn't one of the car's built in computers already recording data?

9. freds

freds Member

The recorder they attached was for the CAN buses so was logging low level detail.

- - - Updated - - -

No in my case it was attached to the large connector..

10. MY T

MY T Member

Cool thanks for the info. I did notice there was a female wire harness under the driver side dash on the left and figured that was the way they tapped into the system. Looks like this is another access point.

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#11 artsci, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    That connector is for diagnostics and does not connect to the touchscreen/infotainment system. The photo shows the connections on the back of the touchsceen.

20130812_173639.jpg

I think there have been several other threads on this.