Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Supercharger Discussion & Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lovin' the Pleasant Prairie super charger! (4/3/2014 @ 5pm)

CIWEWLh.jpg
I saw the guy thats on far left charging last night when i stopped on the way dropping my car off at highland park for dual charger upgrade.

Jumping back a bit - thanks for the info on the Eau Claire, WI chargers. Hopefully it isn't so much of an issue anymore... I lived there for about 10 years and still make trips back every 1-2 months, so I plan on getting some good use out of those! Plus having Wausau online by the end of the year will be nice too.

Well, I know i"m using Madison so much now that I'm making it squeal :)

With my 60 pack, on Fridays I drive to the Dells from Milwaukee, and Monday Mornings I have to drive back to Milwaukee from the Dells. Doing so exhausts my range for the day, and I then am done driving (As time of use electric costs are insane when charging during peak). Now, a 10 minute stop in madison on the way to dells or home to milwaukee gives me an extra 30-50 miles range, and of course more if I stay 20 minutes (point being, drop in the bucket in terms of time) and I then have enough juice for the day.

Jumping back a bit - thanks for the info on the Eau Claire, WI chargers. Hopefully it isn't so much of an issue anymore... I lived there for about 10 years and still make trips back every 1-2 months, so I plan on getting some good use out of those! Plus having Wausau online by the end of the year will be nice too.

fwiw I charged in Eau Claire yesterday afternoon and none of the spots were ICE'd.

I just heard that there is a new Supercharger installation site in Beaver Dam, Wi. I'm not sure if it is under construction or just planned.

Interesting. A supercharger in Beaver Dam would make it much easier to go from Madison to Green Bay, especially during the winter. Even though Green Bay is only 136 miles from Madison, that buffer could make all the difference.

Is that corridor pretty heavily travelled?

Interesting. A supercharger in Beaver Dam would make it much easier to go from Madison to Green Bay, especially during the winter. Even though Green Bay is only 136 miles from Madison, that buffer could make all the difference.

Is that corridor pretty heavily travelled?

Quite right, but lets put it this way, in the winter, at temps below 10*F, I had trouble going from the Dells to Milwaukee. I cut it extremely close a few times and thats only 125 miles. The Madison SC made all the difference. Though, I have a 60kW.

I live in Minneapolis, but I was born/raised in MKE, so I am obviously a Packers fan. :smile: Any particularly recommended routes from the Twin Cities to Lambeau and back?
Contact Vexar. He just did that drive. I believe he just went to Eau Claire and then to Green Bay. He, like me has the 60kW pack, and just made the stretch from Eau Clair to GB, with your 85, you should have absolutely no issues what so ever.

Anyone heard rumors of a Tesla SC and Kwik Trip partnership? I've heard some rumors (OK, I might have submitted it to Kwik Trip employees a few times...) and some SC's might be coming to some Kwik Trip locations on major roads. Seems to make sense with Kwik Trips alternative fuel push. Given the new 'prefab' SC's (e.g. Aurora) that are basically a drop it on the white line in the parking lot and trench the power line to it, this seems like a perfect solution to add stations.

Anyone heard rumors of a Tesla SC and Kwik Trip partnership? I've heard some rumors (OK, I might have submitted it to Kwik Trip employees a few times...) and some SC's might be coming to some Kwik Trip locations on major roads. Seems to make sense with Kwik Trips alternative fuel push. Given the new 'prefab' SC's (e.g. Aurora) that are basically a drop it on the white line in the parking lot and trench the power line to it, this seems like a perfect solution to add stations.

It sounds very simple to put in one of these "Mobile" Superchargers, but...

If you use the normal 208-Volt, 3-Phase power to get 90 kW, it requires 280 Amps used on a 350 Amp, 3-Phase circuit breaker. You need a nice big "donor" breaker panel/distribution center to give you power like that and a big conduit to fit those big wires into...

If your commercial panel has 480/277 Volt 3-phase available, you can get 120 kW from 160 Amps used on a 200 Amp circuit breaker, but that is still big time power and large wires.

Putting in a "Mobile" Supercharger makes installing an HPWC seem like child's play... :rolleyes:

I live in Minneapolis, but I was born/raised in MKE, so I am obviously a Packers fan. :smile: Any particularly recommended routes from the Twin Cities to Lambeau and back?
I did this route in my 60kwh Model S in April. It was a bit interesting with the rain, but a straight shot on the highway (State 29) that goes West into Eau Claire is your best bet, then I-94 from there back to Minneapolis. The distance is 198 miles. I did it with 198 miles stated range and 3 to spare. Should be a piece of cake in your 85kwh. Oddly, I spent the week at Lambeau Field. I charged up (for free) at Wisconsin Public Service (J-1772) in town. They were excited, as they just installed it recently. It was off Ashland Ave by all the hotels and the mall. ChargePoint service.

Depending on when you plan your trip, we could catch up at the monthly Tesla club meeting in Roseville and talk about it in more detail.

It sounds very simple to put in one of these "Mobile" Superchargers, but...

If you use the normal 208-Volt, 3-Phase power to get 90 kW, it requires 280 Amps used on a 350 Amp, 3-Phase circuit breaker. You need a nice big "donor" breaker panel/distribution center to give you power like that and a big conduit to fit those big wires into...

If your commercial panel has 480/277 Volt 3-phase available, you can get 120 kW from 160 Amps used on a 200 Amp circuit breaker, but that is still big time power and large wires.

Putting in a "Mobile" Supercharger makes installing an HPWC seem like child's play... :rolleyes:

I'd assume if it happens - at least for the new KT's - it would be included from the start on the new construction. Typically KT builds new only. For the current ones, not sure. Like I said, just rumors I've heard from peeps that work there that it's at least under active discussions.