Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin Supercharger Discussion & Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help deciding. Had to come back to Milwaukee today to pick up more cycle parts I deliver, will be driving back to the Dells tomorrow afternoon. Will arrive in dells about 5pm. I have two choices, supercharge in Mauston, then go to Onalaska and film my require video ;) but it will be dark out. OR, go Saturday Morning and light out.

Now, we are ABSOLUTLY sure that this ones online right? We don't want a repeat of Madison.... Tehehe... Oh, An im working on a little project For superchargers and travel that you all should like, and it will be community driven!

Need help deciding. Had to come back to Milwaukee today to pick up more cycle parts I deliver, will be driving back to the Dells tomorrow afternoon. Will arrive in dells about 5pm. I have two choices, supercharge in Mauston, then go to Onalaska and film my require video ;) but it will be dark out. OR, go Saturday Morning and light out.

Now, we are ABSOLUTLY sure that this ones online right? We don't want a repeat of Madison.... Tehehe... Oh, An im working on a little project For superchargers and travel that you all should like, and it will be community driven!

If the area has decent enough lighting (meaning it's not pitch black), I say go tomorrow. :biggrin:

Unless its on the Tesla Motors Supercharger Page or on the Nav screen, I would not count on the Supercharger working. Do it in the light. You will get better video, and it will be warmer. Have a L2 backup plan! Good luck. See my video at Cheyenne, WY Supercharger - Page 5 for current status of Cheyenne, the other side of the High Plains Island. The dots are filling in!

100% sure. Short of them turning it off before they left yesterday, it is definitely on. I'll drive by this morning on the way to work to verify though as I wouldn't want to be in your position and stranded in some weird event it was turned back off.

100% sure. Short of them turning it off before they left yesterday, it is definitely on. I'll drive by this morning on the way to work to verify though as I wouldn't want to be in your position and stranded in some weird event it was turned back off.

Verified it's live. Charged in stall 3B for 10 minutes. Peak rate was about 95/miles/hour. So testing the charge rate on a depleted battery would be good islandbayy!
photo.JPG

Stopped by Madison this afternoon and there was initial test charging going on.
It was C-O-L-D outside.
You'll see it online once things are functional.

Side note. Heard a great rumor. Start psyching yourself up for some fun Tesla events in Wisconsin!
K-man, we need to talk! I'll catch you off-list.

Madison Update:
Stopped by this afternoon. The inspector was there (they passed!) and I was able to plug in and test one of the 3 spots. Tom from Tesla tested the other 2 with his vehicle borrowed from the Minneapolis Service Center. Tom lives in San Francisco but was not planning to attend the Packers/49ers game Sunday. Go figure...
The big green boxes from Square D were apparently damaged at some point during the transport process so today's testing was done with a giant generator rather than with power from the local electric company. Square D is supposed to come inspect / certify their boxes tomorrow. Concrete pouring tomorrow too (brrr!). Then it is a matter of getting MG&E to "flip the switch" so the stations are powered from the grid.
So right now it is NOT LIVE.
In reference to the number of charging stations -- Tesla Tom says they want to put in 6, there are 3 big white boxes so they could have 6 (2 charging stations per box), but the mall owners decided not to allocate the parking spaces for 6. Therefore there are 3. Perhaps some encouragement from Tesla owners to the mall owners would make that happen? East Towne is owned by CBL & Associates, the same folks who own Cherryvale Mall where the Rockford Superchargers are located...
Here is a lovely shot with the construction folks, Tesla Tom and the inspector on a beautiful Madison January afternoon. It was a balmy 10 degrees at the time but the wind was wicked.
MadisonJan3.JPG

I'm game, go for it and let me know what I owe ya. I'll get ya next time we meet.
Just left Madison. Caught up with 2 of the guys. Didn't bother them for more them for more then a minute, as it was freakin cold and they were packing up fr the night.
Got main inspections done today using the huge genny, another inspection by square d, and then buttoning up. Expect the en f next week. they made some big progress this week especially with a holiday.

I will upload a Madison update video tonight. Burned through the rated rrange again, came up 10 miles short so spent 2 hrs level 2 charging in Madison (kids were sleeping so was no big deal this time and it was warmer at 12 degrees instead of 0). I am in della now with 2 rated miles left.really stretched it. I will be doing Onalaska tomorrow. I nneed to go back to Milwaukee after the packer game, will bbe my first long distance at -18 degrees out .....

Verified it's live. Charged in stall 3B for 10 minutes. Peak rate was about 95/miles/hour. So testing the charge rate on a depleted battery would be good islandbayy!
View attachment 39748

Is Tesla rolling out second-grade Superchargers or something? These charge rates seem much slower than the European Superchargers.

Look at the picture. Thxdude was at 212 miles rated range at that point; at 80% SoC there is some serious taper going on no mater what battery you have. The car's battery is limiting the charge rate here, not the Supercharger.

Also, at the beginning of the charge the car and battery were very cold because of the near zero temperatures (-18 celcius).
If the battery was near full, and it was cold that would slow the charge even more. Think 10 amp charging to start.

Only having 3 stalls in Madison may prove an issue just from a usage viewpoint. Hopefully they come to their senses and let them add the extra stalls. From all my time around Madison, I've never really seen the parking lot there full or even close to full. Perhaps once a year during Christmas but even so, I'd find it hard to believe that is the case. I'm guessing it's just the mall being difficult.

For the charge in Onalaska, it was what I expect. I had an almost full normal charge battery already and while the battery was heated, it was a balmy 4F outside. Someone should test the charge on a depleted battery but given that Tom had to tow his car there and charge it, I'd assume he verified the output was properly feeding a drained battery at full capacity (as he SC his car back to life and a full charge).

Has anyone knowingly Supercharged at -30 degrees with a -58 Windchill yet? Thats what the Dells is hitting tomorrow night. Might stop by Mauston and "experiment".
I do know I'm not even going to ATTEMPT to drive back to Milwaukee at -30, at least not without a Madison Supercharger to warm my battery :)

Islandbayy -- You should use a LOT less energy driving at 55 rather than 65 -- at least that is true when temperatures are not so extremely cold. Since you are galavanting around the state for us, would be curious to see your experience with that if you want to try? In October I drove Madison to Minneapolis - drove 70mph on the way up and stopped at Jellystone to charge for 1.5 hours to make it. On the way home I set the cruise at 55 as soon as I was on the interstate and drove the 300 miles without stopping, still with ~30 "in the tank" when I got home. The drive took about 45 minutes longer at the lower speed, but since I didn't have the stop-to-charge time, it was net faster.

Tried that, Had too many people tail gaiting me. Didn't feel like getting hit with the kids in the car, going to save that for when they arn't so I can get my 85 :) or maybe at least a battery upgrade. It was nasty last night though, the head wind from Milwaukee to Madison was INSANE! Though, get this, from Madison to the Dells I averaged 300watt's/mile doing 70 with heat on. The insane head wind turned into a insane tail wind. What a difference!

I am going to see what effect -30 with -58 wind chill has on the car and charging. Both at a supercharger, and at a 14-50. I have a feeling with the 14-50, the car is going to struggle a bit with the pack warmer to keep the batteries warm.

- - - Updated - - -

Supercharger is now live on In car map.

I found that driving with traffic in the slow lane got as good or better efficiency then just driving really slow. If you can follow (not tailgate) cars or preferably SUVs at say 67mph, you can get adequate drafting benefits that match driving at 55mph with everyone just passing you. So just find the pack of traffic that is already going at that speed (usually slow lane traffic). When it seems like the person you're following is tired of seeing you in the mirror, catch-up behind a car in the fast lane traffic for a little while and shift to a new pack of cars.
-Also learning how to operate the car with no heat comfortably is a good skill to know.