Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With latest software upgrade, the rear camera image can be slid to the top of the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tech who fixed my driver's side door handle (which wouldn't extend) today also downloaded the latest software for my Model S. When I drove the car I was very surprised and pleased that I was able to slide the rear view camera image from bottom to top our anywhere else I wanted to place it on the vertical axis of the touchscreen. I know this will please Model S owners who like to drive with the rear view image at the top of the screen. Here are a few photos taken at night. I'll post a few more tomorrow taken in daylight.

IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0024.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

It also now automatically brings everything back up after you mess with other menus. They did ameliorate this one issue. Its still not quite the same but its close enough. As an early v9 victim, I am glad that the initial uproar about rear visibility helped push them to fix this issue.

I will say, I wish HVAC was returned to v8 sensibility. Whoever decided the current implementation was a good idea doesn't have the cold weather package enabled. Its like 3 or 4 taps at minimum to turn on or off heaters (its spring-like in Chicago finally so I don't quite need my steering or seat heat except its still cool in the mornings so its nice to turn on for the drive into work).

Reactions: SucreTease
...slide the rear view camera image from bottom to top our anywhere else I wanted to place it on the vertical axis of the touchscreen...

Shortly after the first wave of complaints, Tesla has provided some flexibility as you now notice above but not as before.

That means, you can't get

Camera on top and Energy Consumption on bottom

Energy Consumption on top and Camera on bottom

Any 2 apps any way you want top/bottom/full size...

Reactions: Knightowl
I was hoping this was a new version that went ALL THE WAY to the top but it looks like yours still stopped at 85% leaving the map useless but still lurking, right?

This was the worst UI change. I like having the ability to almost move it to the top but the amp won't go away and the bottom is always media.

I hope they realize that a sliver of media on boottom, a sliver of directions on top (we have map in the IC any way) and two unique apps between them would be an improvement - and they're 90% there already!

I was hoping this was a new version that went ALL THE WAY to the top but it looks like yours still stopped at 85% leaving the map useless but still lurking, right?

This was the worst UI change. I like having the ability to almost move it to the top but the amp won't go away and the bottom is always media.

I hope they realize that a sliver of media on boottom, a sliver of directions on top (we have map in the IC any way) and two unique apps between them would be an improvement - and they're 90% there already!

That's been my experience although I think the worst change occurred when they want to a Model 3 style UI. But it definitely is an improvement over the previous version

Here's a handy hint. Hide all apps/windows, then hold and drag up on the app arrow icon in the bottom tray. It'll drag upwards your most recently used app (usually the camera).
handy tip, thx

correct, in v9 you can only slide the upper app (e.g. camera) to within about 2" of the top of the screen, leaving map showing at top whether you need it or not. And only that far up if it's stacked on top of the music player. (exception: the web browser can be stretched to take up most of the screen by itself except top couple inches, not stacked above the MP; but one of camera/energy/calendar/phone can only be singly stacked above the music player. still no any-two-apps-of-your-choice allowed, like pre-v9)