Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With so many quality issues after delivery - how many people are actually happy with their car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery in Fremont an hour ago. It's honestly 99% perfect, and no dealbreakers.

Hood and the bumper near hood look like they got compounded to remove scratches and not fully polished out. Should polish fine.

In exactly the right light, there are also about 3 spots on the hood that look a little cloudy or light: not sure if they need polish or if the paint is thin. But it's only visible in exactly the right light, at home just now in the driveway I couldn't see it, even when I knew it was there and was looking for it.

The right front fender, the pointiest part where it meets the headlight and the bumper is sticking out just a bit instead of being totally flush. Hard to notice for sure.

Those are both me being pretty picky in the inspection. It's the wife's car, she's even less picky than me, so we're happy. If the paint correction/PPF guys think the swirls on the front will polish out, I won't even bring it up to Tesla. If they think it's too deep, then maybe I'll pursue it, but honestly my wife might rather live with the swirls rather than risk a paint repair mismatch and be without the car for a week.

Reactions: KG M3 and BMax_V.2
In exactly the right light, there are also about 3 spots on the hood that look a little cloudy or light: not sure if they need polish or if the paint is thin. But it's only visible in exactly the right light, at home just now in the driveway I couldn't see it, even when I knew it was there and was looking for it.

Blue car, by any chance.

During the past two weeks, I've spotted a few of those cloudy spots as wel, almost on in the passenger side front quarter panell. I suspect small impurities in the clear coat, as if you rub your finger over them you can feel them. My car is going to service on Monday for the alignment issue, but when I showed it to the service guy he said it's a simple buff job.

Blue car, by any chance.

During the past two weeks, I've spotted a few of those cloudy spots as wel, almost on in the passenger side front quarter panell. I suspect small impurities in the clear coat, as if you rub your finger over them you can feel them. My car is going to service on Monday for the alignment issue, but when I showed it to the service guy he said it's a simple buff job.

Yep, it's blue. Overall it's beautiful.

Here's the family photo:

C6D1BA98-A0C1-40B9-9666-5842AD99AB5A.jpeg

Reactions: KG M3 and dandrewk
Took delivery in Dedham, Ma today and the car is extremely clean without any issues. I kept expecting problems and looked pretty closely but very satisfied. June build.
Initial impressions compared to my Model RWD 3 (March 2018 build)
  • Unfortunately I downloaded 26.4.1 yesterday on the M3 but the MY only has 20.12. Immediately missed the new features.
  • Love the rear hatch and larger opening. Not a fan of sedans.
  • From the rear looks like a mini X
  • Regen seemed stronger
  • Since the MY is dual motor is does drive a little differently, not necessarily better but I suspect I will grow to like it better. Especially in the winter
  • Definitely quicker 0-60 with the dual motor compared to the RWD 3
  • Didn't have to wait for calibration. Car had 12 miles on it and I did NoA right away.
  • Like the looks of the 19" wheel covers compared to the 18" Aeros on the MY3 which I replaced with turbine wheels. Will leave the 19' Gemini wheels alone for now.
  • Rear window is certainly smaller as others have pointed out but for some reason it didn't really bother me. Perhaps because I knew in advance it would be smaller
  • Both rear doors open further when you push on the handle, enough so you can grab the door to open them. Cannot do that with my 3 except for the front doors.
  • Stating the obvious but the larger interior and higher roof is great. Wife will like getting in and out since the seats are higher.
  • Biggest issue now is what to name the car:). I'm going to give the grand kids a shot at the name.
  • Love the multi-coat red.
  • Love having no chrome.
  • Samsung phones both charged well. My 3 has an after market pad and sometimes it won't charge one of my phones.
So in summary, super happy since a hatchback is so much more versatile and it was clean.
Dedham, Ma was bustling today. Lots of deliveries especially white Model 3's. Was obvious we're approaching the end of Q2.

Blue car, by any chance.

Took it the car by my detail/PPF/ceramic place today. I have an appointment next week for PPF and ceramic, but wanted to get their opinion on if it was more serious than buffing could handle and if I needed to involve Tesla before doing any work on the car. They spent 5 minutes on the worst spot, and it was already 97% better. With a proper paint correction, it'll be perfect.

They went over the car as well, really carefully, and agreed it's pretty much great, almost perfect. They're not shy about pointing out flaws, and they only found 2 other VERY minor misalignments (beyond the front of one fender, that one was pretty obvious).

Just proves that the final detailing people at Tesla aren't very good at detailing.

• Informative
Reactions: dandrewk
Picked up our MY on Monday from Littleton, CO. White, LR with standard gemini wheels. The trunk latch had an issue briefly come and go. Seems fine now. First Tesla. Incredible vehicle. No paint issues. No gap issues. If I had a need, I'd buy another and not think twice about it. This is my first post. I have to say I walked the Littleton lot a few times before picking up the car. Never really saw anything crazy bad in terms of all the stuff posted here, and probably saw ~ 30 Model Y's before picking up ours. Don't overthink it. It is just a car. A really great, game changing, never look at cars the same way again ever, car. But just a car in the end.

Just trying to get a feel of how many people are happy with their cars after delivery. I'm about to take delivery at the end of this month and am thinking hard whether I should cancel and wait until next year or whenever the quality issues have been improved.

If fit&finish, overall build quality and highway cabin noise are important to you, a Tesla is not a good choice.

Picked up my MY P (non-PUP) Red/Black, 19", FSD, Tow today in Nashville. Only a couple minor door trim alignment issues noticed (and might not have noticed but for comments here). I am very happy with the paint and quality generally. I do miss my MS that went in trade, but this will be a nice change with current tech. I'm going to get the SC to adjust the doors when I take it in for Homelink install in a week or so.

Reactions: JMar
Picked up my MY P (non-PUP) Red/Black, 19", FSD, Tow today in Nashville. Only a couple minor door trim alignment issues noticed (and might not have noticed but for comments here). I am very happy with the paint and quality generally. I do miss my MS that went in trade, but this will be a nice change with current tech. I'm going to get the SC to adjust the doors when I take it in for Homelink install in a week or so.

How did the process go?

How did the process go?

Really smooth. I got two calls from Tesla over the past two days, one to confirm the appointment (after getting a text and seeing it on my Tesla account page), and the other this morning a couple hours ahead of my appointment from the person who was in charge of my delivery. When I arrived, there were lots of people around, tents outside, no rain but threatening. The Tesla people all had masks on, and were keeping some distance from everyone unless unavoidable (for example when handing paperwork and keys back and forth). I represent a lot of healthcare companies and am immersed in masks and social distancing stuff because of that, and I thought they did a good and appropriate job with it. Being outside was helpful of course. When I drove up, I texted my account person that I was there, and she came over, got me in my car while she checked my trade for mileage. I looked around the car (and under and inside), checked the vin and options and stuff, and signed a few documents that they had on a clipboard on the car's console. They then they took the paperwork and moved my license plate over, while I continued to inspect the car. As for payment, I accidentally paid in full a couple days ago when I was setting up bank transfer stuff on the Tesla account page :). So if I had rejected it, I would have had to get my money back from them. Not the best way for me to do that, but it turned out ok, and legally what I had done was listed on the Tesla account page as a 'deposit'. After they processed the trade in transfer paperwork, she came back over and asked if I had any issues with the car. She asked me send to service a note about the door alignment I noticed so they could fix it during Homelink install. She also mentioned that today the Nashville Showroom was going to set a record for number of vehicles delivered in one day.
All in all, a great experience. Much more exciting in a way than when I got my Model S. That was after a quarter end, and not nearly as much Tesla volume in April 2017 as now.

• Informative
Reactions: JMar
I've had my Y for almost a month, and I cannot express how happy I am with it. Few alignment issues, had to have the hatchback glass replaced due to a scratch, and a mobile appt is setup to replace the left mirror cap since the paint has a small indentation in it - but everything else was fixed in 1.5 days at the Milford, CT service center (shoutout to Jamie and the entire center for being stellar with a fast fix and excellent updates and customer service!), loaner car included.

Overall despite the doom-and-gloom I've been reading, I could not be happier. The car is an absolute dream and when I had to drive my old ICE for a week while the Y was at the detailer, I was reminded how much quieter and more zen-like the Y is. I didn't even care for the Model S loaner with its busy dashboard and extra 'luxuries' - I'm a minimalist, and the Y is just so NICE.

Also, apparently the 'Tesla wave' is a thing! I've had a few Tesla drivers in the opposite direction toss a wave and quite honestly, I love it.

TDLR: Yes. In love. Already looking at the Cybertruck for camping purposes. :D

Reactions: rxlawdude
If fit&finish, overall build quality and highway cabin noise are important to you, a Tesla is not a good choice.

While everyone is completely free and welcome to disagree with what I said, just to be clear, this is not an opinion, it's a clear fact, obvious to anyone not blinded by getting deep into fanboi zone in the cult of elon.

Do one simple exercise. Compare ANY Tesla with ANY similarly priced ICE car and I'm 100% sure Tesla will hold the rock bottom spot for fit&finish and overall build quality.

Sure, acceleration means everything to some, but let's not get blinded here by that and ignore the misaligned elephant in the room.

I just picked up my Model Y yesterday - overall very happy.

I'm by no means a car build expert though - and did document a number of issues. If anyone is an expert here, could you let me know if any of the issues below seem serious?

Streak
There is a bright red streak on the paint on the drivers side - between the door and taillight. It looks like a racing stripe, and appears to have been caused by an issue in the first coat of paint.

3x_b9dG3AHal3dscEwzKZhBjaxQo2uG2IUonWytfDrooQICChubCTf5Nl3EelvO-eVic-fWBJZd3eMRsApEsDk5HRJ54O25v7zndHVmXjYAxUU9bEqZGT8ztTe5nKcX9LYCY850F

jVT5ZuvPSZEiZ3u5gXk_sEpXzURIIAnXSf69z_R9bMXr0ezy5pOAN8IpnZfjtdjQBydF4DpsjSWUB8gNzdBVymHPaWwO2gAraVrAD3uOwCh2jb3tPw_HLgkFeiAgJIBUSfJGH2gf

Plastic Wrap Indicator

There is plastic wrap stuck in the driver’s side rear door. Is this indicative of incomplete work in the undercarriage?

EZ3o6JjxyJoHsgxVNw9AHyJ4oPhfc3EKmoJmo21m8b2dypjpSQH_W_c_nVYRNnEBZOqhipo7ga0yIj0wvTfyai9wTU7gHfKuUlhcixFyc3BM5t2CY9yMnocbBUFPpfgjKyY3gq-t

Partially Painted Section

There is a small unpainted / partially painted section on the top of the passenger side hatchback, with corrosion beginning to take place.

9sj4QnFkVfHquhvmnbWroIZkCDq6QfjK89weGhHL6Ae_DY3J_0vglnjkAVPe6466kim1Wzskpc9-6rxPvLhmpmb7CMwwIEnkJY1KMqlKVt9VN0Ew2seQDAVOi3FinEKyN--938J3

Loose Trim

Drivers side window trim is loose
9BrH71rY72BqGXtv24PKRSeyHIJ2nzzhTuNjzfV2zr9LKVsuGt3x088Ib3Tx6hXEaG44RI1EqdpE4XWG7kFDp0ySXCaZBgywh3RF0OKNWgNb_crlsUcsLjmH5IFXmAgpCBTn-UzQ

Frunk Issue

Front trunk has a gap / misalignment
ErfpGa9Ojq_CDoMDDQVPy16e8PSjq_ZbOA9p1OG1XdFzGZgi5xe0fbwi5KJGWo8BhR4pXoEnApyFNIZoQ2IuIuaEQk0VGk1MjqNikJSFBWJX-Y-KXSiYI9kO0RY7R9yJQQmJ3ZgV

Taillight Alignment

Driver’s side taillight alignment issue
lZTZDLbteDGioQeLTdVO5uQU9xU2iLPJQz_4thIeazWCWqeP3WtOXjkCHPKWKF4taN-alWDnrouoNDsiQv1GrnkvF-pUkFay9shwOfhkK_KWDc3bOH93cC0H6NFTG2wN4N6QXk8j

Headliner Gap & Factory Tape Present

There is a gap between the headliner and roof window - on both sides but particularly noticeable on passenger side. It looks like the adhesive glue here isn’t sticking. In addition there is still a black tape label on the passenger side from the factory - could you please investigate if this was intended to note an issue?

A1L29UUYrZD-9M3CmjykS24IAELPU2fWL033lOBBuT3tLTRR9dbqBwMPtMxexMs-ZAt7AIXyVnoSTkpZxaTq4VzW0SnNMhTlXywY47SNCwt281E_LDNvQU2nJDHfOYAXR18pMNp-
mE6rPhruH-SjX8IM9aVJfjZi6D5XVMXr9pZ01hyWja5aQGfGaFryK3g4oGiHXyuEeGvNGPGsYI3uHRkjOQ4LEmW5h4Bcukwec5R_lh8SsZgayRSmovuxyF0uPSUZ-fYtSbnEAv9a
5TTZarxNRHR4jvUzqEAfYvg7tDZdWwyOOOvn7VFpbDaLUAB5O1ZeKcCpaIx5wugcUVaxijpbnIC2zSbUMNtTD4Q2YqewBrELfRCqVeJfqPQp0K5FGuUpdjRlDLy_1tVDefZlli74

Scuffs / Dirt In Several Interior Locations

Scuff marks on the passenger side interior wall, and passenger side coat hook

iuo-DBsnw-EwfHdoewBpEegh5XHudsgR_smEKmo-327LKcQABaQIvU4xlUdK-mLGq-f78ndikYbfYCSvFJcnZflMvA9kJg-8AbNIxqoy3ZNqrOn5VpnLsl_gBKJdoY_FqSpYpWF4
WuCDes5pPU7sqmYVfcxL_gzQwUNlpNdeTGJ72GNCssHGm-Y1hnqevP0fnGmcD7L5etlGygEzvUWf6CoLFp12AIaf2AN_gp5sYoA3RxNKEdPQGqEcK7mXyxJU56cCOKP_9112MvTl
hm4FJFnJG-rpl6vkAp1rppVh4yDT7Mrvg9Axo76umk-Pl1obfDKyKHXE-090_8ChQZUq3ylw4HC1Ers2MO1MGJRqwqhxpaIYjmcRx6n8p9qREFkyjQEgpQ5vKsHDA-mpaxjTzDCm
aRNmsltOjbjF9VfpwHtdnZUYVXBXmgBDOrtycnctNb8JpeBDn83B55Rp0TpQW5JpPmd2m3G1DpU1ePw3gmtawpF6SJfcUoVm_pD2UdIZrEJ0q0A0u-bPVofkHW3tkwZoY7nvwwDg

Weld Issue

Conspicuous weld in brake pedal

DiY0mT8C9h8CYSDo7VagfOLHj3R5R50dKd2VTEcQlhR5fL7ursry9bld7UnKpFYuT3sKSKuqlaidbCeeCwmj3RJkijCgyo04Cb5QcwoH6R4r1iTNS-y-Q8PMJOh7Oj31-fCa0QpX

Backseat Not Flush

Middle seat doesn’t appear to be flush on right side

tNwwNTbENaZ9T9yb7slZ1xuTZwai0vQc3Q6F-CuUFG8GSBSolIzeY141VdHD52dkniB8Qex99pP7ZC3JWHwxWMEdKSF4RCv1afcpwf9wZD54v0Wu6o7um_3lVpB7o9oZhKI6yv4Q

While everyone is completely free and welcome to disagree with what I said, just to be clear, this is not an opinion, it's a clear fact, obvious to anyone not blinded by getting deep into fanboi zone in the cult of elon.

Do one simple exercise. Compare ANY Tesla with ANY similarly priced ICE car and I'm 100% sure Tesla will hold the rock bottom spot for fit&finish and overall build quality.

Sure, acceleration means everything to some, but let's not get blinded here by that and ignore the misaligned elephant in the room.

Pretty cool debate skills when you say anyone who disagrees with you must be a fanboi.

Let's not get blinded here by those who had bad experiences and ignore the Tesla hate elephant in the room.

There is a lot more to like about Tesla's than just acceleration, but I assume you know that.

Utter BS. How about you and the rest of your Hate Bois give it a rest. Your hyperbolic arguments don't pass the sniff test. There are, without a doubt, more cars delivered that are accepted and have happy Fan Bois driving them than the reverse. It absolutely sucks that some are horrendous and that some people are being legitimately treated poorly. However, that is no where near the majority. There is a bell curve to everything in the universe. The numbers will bury you...

ß

Not ALL deliveries are full of defects as one might assume after spending too much time in these threads. I took delivery yesterday of a near perfect MY. Most of the people who receive clean deliveries simply don’t write a review because they’re too busy having fun in their new Tesla!

Attachments

• 9D822DD9-009C-4AAB-BE85-459FD1D26BB6.jpeg
    9D822DD9-009C-4AAB-BE85-459FD1D26BB6.jpeg
    748.6 KB · Views: 50
Pretty cool debate skills when you say anyone who disagrees with you must be a fanboi.

Let's not get blinded here by those who had bad experiences and ignore the Tesla hate elephant in the room.

It's very telling when someone restricts their profile page. I was curious to see if cucubits regularly bashes Tesla on this forum and was met with a "This user restricts who can see their full profile" message. That setting usually screams troll.

Picked up white, black interior, 19", no FSD (VIN 15 hundreds, 6/20 manufacture date) yesterday in Lyndhurst OH. Couldn't be happier so far. Excellent pickup experience- very helpful delivery staff under pretty challenging conditions (lots of picky customers with extensive check lists).
Trade in (a little under valued) was super smooth. Loan financing no prob.
Minor exterior issues (slightly misaligned rear passenger quarter panel & missing paint where insulation foam overflowed)- they said they would fix. Made an appointment at the Clarkston, MI SC. Rear seats not perfectly aligned (not awful)- not sure if they will fix this as apparently not a safety issue.
Drove it home from OH to MI (~300 mi)- fantastic to drive even on crappy MI roads.
I've been monitoring this forum and was prepared for the worse- super happy at one day in.