Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wonder why Y sighting have stopped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, won't they be putting some early production models in the hands of the car mag reviewers? Or release more specs, like front seat height, etc.? (68 y.o., concerned about getting in and out of a Y!)
Once March rolls around, you will have a lot more info. They have reservations out the door for the Y and the roll out will be slow initially. Tesla's are basically built to order. They don't really need the car magazines since there isn't tons of inventory sitting around on dealer lots.

Since you're a new order, you should have some time to figure it all out. Even if you ordered performance Model Y.

Last edited:
Also, won't they be putting some early production models in the hands of the car mag reviewers?

As a general rule Tesla doesn't do that. The magazines have to obtain a car themselves by purchasing, borrowing, or renting one. (The exception seems to be Motor Trend that Tesla will occasionally loan a car to, but hardly ever before whatever they want reviewed is already available to the general public.)

Reactions: Yuri_G
I would think the testing and sightings of Ys would continue. I have not seen any new posts recently.

Don't know if people feel inclined to report sightings, but since you asked: On one of our club bicycle rides on Tuesday, I was stopping @ our usual lunch meet-up, glanced up and saw what I thought was a white "3" coming up the road. No, it was not a "3", but a "Y", as a white "3" was right behind it. They were just coming onto Amelia Island, Florida. 20 miles from Jacksonville.

• Informative
Reactions: rklip
Once March rolls around, you will have a lot more info. They have reservations out the door for the Y and the roll out will be slow initially. Tesla's are basically built to order. They don't really need the car magazines since there isn't tons of inventory sitting around on dealer lots.

Since you're a new order, you should have some time to figure it all out. Even if you ordered performance Model Y.
Sorry, I'm old school! By "car mags" I meant "media" of course. :D Motor Trend (available online free from Metro Library, thank you!) has had a lot of good press for M3; Car and Driver not so much. Anyhow, I'd just like a sighting of a 6'2" quasi-octogenarian getting in and out of the Y's driver's seat without injury! :) Otherwise, I'm ready for a Y in my driveway...

Most everybody has already seen pictures of Model Y in the wild. No reason for people to keep posting such.

First cars will go to employees. They don't post on forums.

Slowly measurements will trickle out. Many will be eager to see them arrive in showrooms, where they can crawl around inside.

Reactions: jboy210
Most everybody has already seen pictures of Model Y in the wild. No reason for people to keep posting such.

First cars will go to employees. They don't post on forums.

Slowly measurements will trickle out. Many will be eager to see them arrive in showrooms, where they can crawl around inside.

I am with Uncle Paul on this.

I also think the test program is likely done and it is all hands on deck to get this 1st batch in the hands of employee customers. Then let these employees take friends for rides, drive to the store, etc. and get the Twitterverse and YouTube filled with hundreds more Model Y sightings and actual videos of the interior, acceleration tests, etc.

I'd imagine, and pure conjecture by me, that some of the first batches of Y's that many people have seen, and those that looked like they were beat to death (and had duct tape holding their front spoilers together!) have probably been torn apart and fully inspected by now.

Sorry, I'm old school! By "car mags" I meant "media" of course. :D Motor Trend (available online free from Metro Library, thank you!) has had a lot of good press for M3; Car and Driver not so much. Anyhow, I'd just like a sighting of a 6'2" quasi-octogenarian getting in and out of the Y's driver's seat without injury! :) Otherwise, I'm ready for a Y in my driveway...

I 'd like to see that also. I am close to SS age and find getting in and out of our Model 3 a bit tough on my back. But getting in and out of our Model X is a breeze. I am hoping the Model Y will be just as easy on my back, while being easier to park than the X and less thirsty for electrons.

Reactions: preilly44