Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Won't gamble with firmware updates any more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel sorry for the people with the older cars that are getting left behind and forgotten because they won't update yet the reasons for not updating are very valid when their 'old hardware' doesn't play nice with the latest software.

That isn't the problem, to me, so much as breaking what was fixed. I'd still be on V7, and have full-time fixed icons up top if it weren't for needing a DU repair. After V8, in what feels like a master plan, came dropping the top icons to the bottom, in V9. These aren't software/hardware compatibility issues. Nobody (?) asked for them. They make the car ergonomically worse. Relatively speaking, being forgotten would be a favor.

EVs don't have to be "update, or else", or about looking down... I won't believe that.

Last edited:
That isn't the problem, to me, so much as breaking what was fixed. I'd still be on V7, and have full-time fixed icons up top if it weren't for needing a DU repair. After V8, in what feels like a master plan, came dropping the top icons to the bottom, in V9. These aren't software/hardware compatibility issues. Nobody (?) asked for them. They make the car ergonomically worse. Relatively speaking, being forgotten would be a favor.

EVs don't have to be "update, or else", or about looking down... I won't believe that.
After holding until 2022, Tesla took 8.1 away from me today. The service center either force deployed a staged update, or someone did it manually and is not telling. Car was parked w/in the geofence, overnight.

I had lost the cell phone app, couldn't engage service within it and with ATT pulling 3G was looking at loosing nav-traffic as a result of my P85D being a 3G car. They said LTE could no longer be upgraded w/o new firmware. So, I declined not only the EMMC recall, but also LTE and was going to see what would happen. Just the frunk recall performed. The losses had been enough I honestly was considering abandoning V8, anyway. Yes, risk range loss, lose regen and pick up those V9 full-time map, etc., graphics. My understanding is very few of us are left on V8.

The Service team no longer has my trust. I went, picked up the key and had a friendly 15m conversation with a SA, who knew the whole time my car lost its firmware (because keeping it was the imperative). He said nothing, let me go find out for myself. Despite my permanent marker on masking tape, right across the screen, I immediately saw V10 underneath. I said "fix it", gave the key back and like he was ready for it he said, "there will be storage fees". All he cared about was affirming the update had been staged prior to today. Couldn't care that it must have been the service center must have deployed it.

Having me drive off on Version 10, but w/o the EMMC (recall), no LTE, and a (not broken) hood latch was evidently the plan?

After holding until 2022, Tesla took 8.1 away from me today. The service center either force deployed a staged update, or someone did it manually and is not telling. Car was parked w/in the geofence, overnight.

I had lost the cell phone app, couldn't engage service within it and with ATT pulling 3G was looking at loosing nav-traffic as a result of my P85D being a 3G car. They said LTE could no longer be upgraded w/o new firmware. So, I declined not only the EMMC recall, but also LTE and was going to see what would happen. Just the frunk recall performed. The losses had been enough I honestly was considering abandoning V8, anyway. Yes, risk range loss, lose regen and pick up those V9 full-time map, etc., graphics. My understanding is very few of us are left on V8.

The Service team no longer has my trust. I went, picked up the key and had a friendly 15m conversation with a SA, who knew the whole time my car lost its firmware (because keeping it was the imperative). He said nothing, let me go find out for myself. Despite my permanent marker on masking tape, right across the screen, I immediately saw V10 underneath. I said "fix it", gave the key back and like he was ready for it he said, "there will be storage fees". All he cared about was affirming the update had been staged prior to today. Couldn't care that it must have been the service center must have deployed it.

Having me drive off on Version 10, but w/o the EMMC (recall), no LTE, and a (not broken) hood latch was evidently the plan?

Are you using windows 3.1 with a iphone 4 as well?

What you clowns fail to realize is 8.1 was a much better user interface than anything since then.
In your eyes maybe however we are hearing the same stories with the V10 to V11 jump. Very vocal after it arrived but now that most are getting used to it is not the heated discussion it once was. Simply need to learn the new features and adjust to the new way of doing things. Tesla does listen and improves on complaints. It wont be too long before V12 comes out and then everyone will complain how V11 was the best and V12 was written by children.

Reactions: Kazkorp
It wont be too long before V12 comes out and then everyone will complain how V11 was the best and V12 was written by children.
Nope. I’ve done the upgrades as I want whatever bug fixes and security patches are included, but the user experience has been one way downhill. Not pinning for 10 or 9. Just want the car to look and feel like what I paid for…

I’ll walk back one point, they finally fixed the rear camera at night problem they introduced in v9. So that is now a “win”? Lol

What you clowns fail to realize is 8.1 was a much better user interface than anything since then.
Not only that, the hardware ran better, didn't lock up or have just half the functions working at any given time.

Midnightsun - "Tesla does listen and improves on complaints" - LOL, you must be new here. Let us know when the now broken for a year USB album art (simple) bug gets fixed.....I could go on with many more examples from over the years, they don't do software QA at Tesla, they do releases then bug fixes on things they broke with the update.

Reactions: Barry
Despite my permanent marker on masking tape, right across the screen, I immediately saw V10 underneath. I said "fix it", gave the key back and like he was ready for it he said, "there will be storage fees". All he cared about was affirming the update had been staged prior to today. Couldn't care that it must have been the service center must have deployed it.

"Fix it"? Are they going to revert to the older software? I didn't know they had that capability (and would've sworn they had no policy allowing for it)....

It has been a ~couple years, but I noticed only 1, er 2, folks ever identify SCs as deploying staged updates, against their wishes. I think the techs had kind of a creed, not to. It was probably CA. They won’t say.

You could say I “took my chances”, going in for a frunk recall and parking within WiFi range. Now, I’m affirming a slam: For instance, If you don’t want short-cuts to version 11’s games, as seat heat gets pushed to a sub-menu, don’t leave your car at Tesla overnight. (IMO, V10 to V11 is nothing compared to V8 to V9).

Digression: Tesla tracks us and knew lumbar wasn’t being used by passengers. So, they removed it. But seat heat, to a sub-menu that toggles a ~5KW heating system whenever accessed? In comparison, seat heat elements operate at <~100 watts. Like heated steering wheels, easy use is part of eeking out range in an EV. It makes no sense, being harder and more consequential than operating seat heat in a gas-car (cough, with a button).

There are still LTE cards, that can retrofit Ver8 cars w/o requiring firmware. So, maintaining nav-traffic, cell data, etc., was the (3rd party) plan.

My own video about Ver9, years ago, is up to a whopping ~150 views. Lost functionality:

I got car back, on 10.2. So, add regen to lost features. We’ve had another MS on 10.2 for a long time. This impending loss was another reason not to “update”. It is starkly lower, and for substantially longer, as if to give up on one-pedal driving in cold cool climates during daily use (<20 miles). Even 58F (today).

Version 9 (&10) maps feature lower contrast (greys). Version 11 is reported to use smaller fonts. The pattern, atop everything in the video, takes my eyes further from the road for longer. It does so for a company priding itself on the relative safety of ADAS, versus air-bag deployments while driving manually.

This pattern is older than center mounted displays and yoke steering wheels. At least, with those you knew what you were buying.