TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wood strip maintenance?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, May 29, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Since it is open pore and not slathered in plastic, is the wood strip going to hold up baking in the sun day after day? What products are recommended to keep it protected and looking new?

2. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Termite repellent.

• Funny x 7
  3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

4. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Once every 6 car washes (so every 12 weeks), I give the figured ash in my S a dose of old school lemon oil.

Anti-lemon voodoo, if you will.

Wipe on, wipe off.

If I had a 3, I’d do the same. Haven’t found anything better for grained veneers than lemon oil.

I liked the unvarnished obeche in the last car, missed out on the lacewood, and am pleased that there are still options for exposed wood that do not involve their glossy overcoats.

There’s a theme there somewhere.

• Informative x 1
  6. nogajim

nogajim Member

Shellac is pretty but not very hardy. It can be damaged by alcohol, water, oils, and probably sun. For a finish, you might need to go urethane or tung oil (but I don’t know much about it). I’m considering the lemon oil. It has worked for years on an unfinished chest of drawers.

7. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

I don’t think that it would need and protection, but if you did I would use a matte wipe-on polyurethane. beware that even a clear urethane will most likely darken the panel a bit.

For cleaning, naphtha is the pro’s choice for untreated, open-grain wood, and won’t harm polyurethane or vinyl either.

That said, I have no idea if there’s any treatment on the veneered dash panel, but I wouldn’t hesitate to test it on one of the ends by the a-pillars.