Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wood strip maintenance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_4744.JPG

Once every 6 car washes (so every 12 weeks), I give the figured ash in my S a dose of old school lemon oil.

Anti-lemon voodoo, if you will.

Wipe on, wipe off.

If I had a 3, I’d do the same. Haven’t found anything better for grained veneers than lemon oil.

I liked the unvarnished obeche in the last car, missed out on the lacewood, and am pleased that there are still options for exposed wood that do not involve their glossy overcoats.

There’s a theme there somewhere.

I don’t think that it would need and protection, but if you did I would use a matte wipe-on polyurethane. beware that even a clear urethane will most likely darken the panel a bit.

For cleaning, naphtha is the pro’s choice for untreated, open-grain wood, and won’t harm polyurethane or vinyl either.

That said, I have no idea if there’s any treatment on the veneered dash panel, but I wouldn’t hesitate to test it on one of the ends by the a-pillars.

Do NOT use a polyurethane as this is for interior use.

I used to build custom cabinets back in the day and used many different types of finishes in the past, if you choose to do this I would use something that is a marine grade product, matte finish for sure and has to have UV inhibitors, check out this one, very good rep, some of the other finishes I have used in the past that are the most durable contained some tung oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Epifanes-Wood-Finish-Matte-1000/dp/B005ADX8XI/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1549529427&sr=1-2&keywords=epifanes+matte&th=1&psc=1

If you really want to do a crazy good job then get the high gloss and the thiner as well as the matte, take the unit out and give it a light sand down to at least 320, thin the gloss 50/50 with the thinner and put several very thin coats (5 or 6) sanding very lightly with the 320 in between coats, follow up with a couple of coats of the matte thinned maybe 25% thinner to 75% matte. should look like Buddah when done.

Last edited:
We recently purchased a 2020 MX with dark Ash Wood Trim. I like the look and would like to add a piece of Veneer Ash wood to the FLIP door on the center console (T Sport.... offers this option for $800). I have a nice piece of matching veneer wood but cannot seem to get the exact color stain match. If anyone has any expertise on this please help. Here is my project so far. I need a darker stain.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 133
Oil it every couple of months with either lemon oil or mineral oil. If you begin applying finishes they will need to be maintained and likely at some point will fail, need to be stripped and then reapplied. The aforementioned oils protect it well and are much easier to use.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
I took a test drive in a Model 3. Two things irritated me...No gauges in the dash and the unfinished wood veneer. Perhaps 50 years in the Furniture business doesn't like unfinished wood.

For the same price as a new 3, I purchased a 2016 Model S from Tesla (because of the warranty 4 year/50,000 miles from date of delivery). I'm very happy with my choice.