Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S wheel diameter is ~15"
Model 3 wheel diameter is ~13 3/4"

The 3 doesn't have a tiny wheel, but it's definitely small. For reference the stock steering wheel in my Miata is about 14" in diameter. A slightly smaller wheel on that car would be an improvement but would block the top of the gauge cluster. A small wheel can make the car feel sportier to drive since your hands have a shorter distance to travel for the same amount of steering input. That said, I thought the 3's wheel was a bit small for the car's size. The S at 15" seems about right.

Model S wheel diameter is ~15"
Model 3 wheel diameter is ~13 3/4"

The 3 doesn't have a tiny wheel, but it's definitely small. For reference the stock steering wheel in my Miata is about 14" in diameter. A slightly smaller wheel on that car would be an improvement but would block the top of the gauge cluster. A small wheel can make the car feel sportier to drive since your hands have a shorter distance to travel for the same amount of steering input. That said, I thought the 3's wheel was a bit small for the car's size. The S at 15" seems about right.
Actually the yoke is only ~15" on the narrowest part. If you measure to the bottom corner it's ~17" which is huge. I'd much prefer a wheel closer to the size of the 3. But I'll take the retrofit as a compromise.

Yes re: the wheel. The stalks though... now that's something I don't see Tesla reverting on.
And for me, that's the real issue. Now that it's finally raining in Calif, I've realized just how bad the wiper controls are. First, the Auto setting is terrible; seems to run constantly at high speed and doesn't even slow down when stopped at intersection. So then I tried adjusting the wiper speed myself, and quickly realized it's annoying to have the wiper button on right-side of yoke, but the speed setting on the left scroll wheel. So if you happen to be drinking something with one hand, you basically cannot adjust the wipers without putting something down or reaching over to press the wiper button with left hand before using scroll wheel.

The wiper issues combined with horn and turn signal buttons reflect poor design and user testing. It should not be hard to control wipers and wheel with one hand. Tesla could alleviate some of this redesigning the left / right scroll wheel functions to be intuitive and make use of the right side beyond AP. I think they should use the AP "button" with double-push to activate, such that the scroll wheel push and left/right can be enabled for useful functions. And how about bringing back the customization instrument cluster, so the scroll wheels can change setting, scroll through contacts for a call, etc.

Rant over...

And for me, that's the real issue. Now that it's finally raining in Calif, I've realized just how bad the wiper controls are. First, the Auto setting is terrible; seems to run constantly at high speed and doesn't even slow down when stopped at intersection. So then I tried adjusting the wiper speed myself, and quickly realized it's annoying to have the wiper button on right-side of yoke, but the speed setting on the left scroll wheel. So if you happen to be drinking something with one hand, you basically cannot adjust the wipers without putting something down or reaching over to press the wiper button with left hand before using scroll wheel.

The wiper issues combined with horn and turn signal buttons reflect poor design and user testing. It should not be hard to control wipers and wheel with one hand. Tesla could alleviate some of this redesigning the left / right scroll wheel functions to be intuitive and make use of the right side beyond AP. I think they should use the AP "button" with double-push to activate, such that the scroll wheel push and left/right can be enabled for useful functions. And how about bringing back the customization instrument cluster, so the scroll wheels can change setting, scroll through contacts for a call, etc.

Rant over...
For me too. The yoke didn't bother me much once Hansshow made their wheel available which is pretty sweet. The stalks though are tough to add back, at least until @rhuber makes the upgrade option available. In the meantime, it looks like Tesla is walking back the stalks delete on M3 and MY. Lucky.

Moderator note: Discussion about cattle, leather, beef, etc. are off-topic for this thread. A number of messages have been moved to this thread, for those who wish to continue:

Bruce.

Was hoping for more info from Ryan but it’s been a while so I decided to drink a few beers and figure out how these things work. Was able to read the resistance values from the 3 sets of stalk functions (wipers, beams, signals) to map them out. Probably map out the right stalk later too but probably won't bother trying to implement it as there is a lot more risk when you screw up that side.

View attachment 832162View attachment 832165
Hi. Picking up this older post, any chance you could share the wiring diagram to avoid figuring it all out from 0? Fitted a round steering wheel but the lack of stalks is killing me, so decided to go down this path.... have and ADC and a pi at hand... so time to play around. At first I will like to be able to read the values from the stalk, looking at Ryan's original video you should be able to read out analog values from the stalk and right now that's what I will like to do.

Thanks for the help.

This is a strange question, but up until now, the attempts at adding stalks have centered around Model 3 stalks, because those fit physically. Has anyone tried the original model S stalks? Perhaps they may not fit physically, but do work with the software.

Probably not, but it’s possible. I no longer have access to a stalkless Model S, so I can’t experiment myself.

I posted about what might be an option here. The makers of the S3XY buttons (Enhance Auto) appear to be working on stalks.

I posted about what might be an option here. The makers of the S3XY buttons (Enhance Auto) appear to be working on stalks.

Yeah actually what I'm picking up now will be injected to CAN using S3XY buttons commander, for now :)

@rhuber - could you please share the wiring on how to read out the analog signal from the stalk. Managed to get the turn signal voltage but not able to figure out the wiper/wash and high-beam one. All I need is to share how to send / receive the voltages from which pins, rest should be able to manage. Thanks.