Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife’s car has cloth seats and they constantly water stain. PU is the way to go
@Proppilot Plastic or leather is definitely better in the face of spills. I'll admit that with my family's eating-in-the-car habits probably best to avoid cloth. But I absolutely miss having *nice* cloth or alcantara seats.

Cheap low end economy car cloth looks and feels nasty, but the good stuff is nicer to sit in than leather IMO, and way better than polyurethane or vinyl. Fabric grips you better in turns, doesn't get so hot or cold, and just feels comfy.

My favorite Tesla seats are the "next gen" ones with cloth middle section, if that tells you anything! The newest Model S seats are not as good.

Here is the thing as this yoke love hate thing has gone on and on and on and on. Some people like it and some people don’t. It is not right or wrong or good or bad it is preference. My Palladium LR is my first Tesla and I would not trade the yoke for a free wheel, stalks and hard cash. Every time I get a traditional Tesla loaner I don’t like it. Push here. Pull there. Which stalk does what ? I love the clean unencumbered view of the instrument cluster and the ease of selecting functions on the yoke once I learned the muscle memory. I am not a fanboy and now there are some thoughts about why some people may love the yoke…..

I also can appreciate and respect why some hate it. It is a preference and not right or wrong or good or bad.

Reactions: henderrj and pitiso
Here is the thing as this yoke love hate thing has gone on and on and on and on. Some people like it and some people don’t. It is not right or wrong or good or bad it is preference. My Palladium LR is my first Tesla and I would not trade the yoke for a free wheel, stalks and hard cash. Every time I get a traditional Tesla loaner I don’t like it. Push here. Pull there. Which stalk does what ? I love the clean unencumbered view of the instrument cluster and the ease of selecting functions on the yoke once I learned the muscle memory. I am not a fanboy and now there are some thoughts about why some people may love the yoke…..
I also can appreciate and respect why some hate it. It is a preference and not right or wrong or good or bad.
Proppilot has a point here.

Those pesky turn signal stalks can be so very difficult to understand. Yes, it is ALWAYS in the correct/easy-to-find location, with operation possible WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING, BUT It has to be moved up or down, depending upon which direction one is trying to turn. That's always been a big challenge for me. That's why I so like having to guess which inscrutable button to press on the yoke/joke as it's very often the wrong one when parallel parking or in a roundabout. It's so much more exciting to scare the living daylights out of other drivers and I'm sure they appreciate Model S's and X's driving around with the wrong turn signal on. Frankly, over time it may lead to other drivers just remaining clear of Teslas which certainly makes it safer for us to drive!

Ditto for that shift lever. I'm not the only here that finds those just mind-blowingly difficult to decipher. Yep, getting to hunt-and-peck on the center screen instead is just one of Elon's best-ever ideas . . . .

Totally a personal preference, I agree. I just thought Ryan's analysis was very insightful.

Reactions: Atraf and Proppilot

Proppilot has a point here.

Those pesky turn signal stalks can be so very difficult to understand. Yes, it is ALWAYS in the correct/easy-to-find location, with operation possible WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING, BUT It has to be moved up or down, depending upon which direction one is trying to turn. That's always been a big challenge for me. That's why I so like having to guess which inscrutable button to press on the yoke/joke as it's very often the wrong one when parallel parking or in a roundabout. It's so much more exciting to scare the living daylights out of other drivers and I'm sure they appreciate Model S's and X's driving around with the wrong turn signal on. Frankly, over time it may lead to other drivers just remaining clear of Teslas which certainly makes it safer for us to drive!

Ditto for that shift lever. I'm not the only here that finds those just mind-blowingly difficult to decipher. Yep, getting to hunt-and-peck on the center screen instead is just one of Elon's best-ever ideas . . . .
Not content to jack the cost of the cars by high double-digit percentages while deleting hardware and features, the horrid new controls are Musk’s best effort yet (perhaps tied with his outrageously stupid Twitter purchase?) to find his true disciples while demonstrating contempt for all other (now former) customers. But hey, the stock is doing great so he must be on to something…oh wait…

Here is the thing as this yoke love hate thing has gone on and on and on and on. Some people like it and some people don’t. It is not right or wrong or good or bad it is preference.
[snip]
You're right about this: it is a matter of preference.
You're simultaneously missing the point, however: those that prefer a wheel and stalks have been given no alternative. We can't easily choose the option that we prefer.

Now, don't get me wrong, Tesla doesn't have to provide us that option, but if they had, there wouldn't be any complaining, there would just be people choosing the option they prefer. Sure, maybe people would complain if they asked us to pay $1,500 for a regular wheel and stalks, but...we'd pony up the cash and be happy in the end. I sure would, anyway - definitely better spending that kind of cash on the primary contact points with the car than on any set of wheels they might offer.

Reactions: KJD and Atraf
I am not missing the point Sir. The car was advertised and sold with a yoke so everyone had an option. To purchase or not.

I respect and appreciate the discussions however they are circular.
Yes, but photographs on a web page, with ZERO availability for test drives, were/are NOT a predictor of just how insanely stupid the Human Factors Engineering disaster the stalkless yoke would be.

Only real world experience makes it plain that in a world of roundabouts and parallel parking, and with people that swing wide on left turns, back out of parking spots with limited visibility, etc., that the horn and turn signal placement is, frankly, dangerous and makes use of the horn and turn signals nearly impossible in some circumstances.

It is, frankly, insane. Elon himself promised a fix on at least the horn issue . . . in early March of 2022, yet here we are with no fix in late December?!? Why is this not done???

I can easily see the design staff at Tesla trying their hardest to not roll their eyes as Elon expressed his enthusiasm for his Boy Racer yoke, "just like in the video games I play."

Just pathetic and inexcusable abuse of HF Engineering in its current iteration, and likely to remain so as long as Elon as at the helm . . . but perhaps his days as Technoking may be numbered given the 60% drop in stock price.

How someone that can be so brilliant can also be simultaneously stunningly stupid is beyond me.

…that the horn and turn signal placement is, frankly, dangerous and makes use of the horn and turn signals nearly impossible in some circumstances.

It is, frankly, insane. Elon himself promised a fix on at least the horn issue . . . in early March of 2022, yet here we are with no fix in late December?!? Why is this not done???
It’s not done because Elon lied to us. Again. The fabled center horn switch which Musk declared was present on every car made since November, 2021 doesn’t exist; it never did. He either knew it didn’t exist when he Tweeted, or he’s pathological. Unacceptable. One more lie among so many. Most of which are, most ironically, preserved on Twitter.

Lying to customers; his $44 billion Twitter purchase leveraged against $TSLA; his public behavior; etc. are all huge liabilities, but the board is full of yes-men. Good thing I sold most of mine (I should have sold all of it) before his idiotic Twitter purchase and never ending daily fiascos since lost us over half the value.

Merry Christmas everyone. @rhuber - is there hope for those of us without your skill to get stalks added after market? Looks like you are the only one who has done it so I'm wondering if you have discovered something that makes the change impractical, undesirable, or impossible (eg after an OTA update). If not, would you be willing to share your work? I'm not suggesting giving it away for free btw.

Merry Christmas everyone. @rhuber - is there hope for those of us without your skill to get stalks added after market? Looks like you are the only one who has done it so I'm wondering if you have discovered something that makes the change impractical, undesirable, or impossible (eg after an OTA update). If not, would you be willing to share your work? I'm not suggesting giving it away for free btw.
I have a friend who is interested and motivated to handle all aspects of marketing/selling this, so I am strongly considering it. But just be aware that this thing is going to be sold for a premium, to make it worth his (and my) time. The fact that I've been using it for over a year with zero issues is compelling to me as something that won't require extensive support, and that's a big deal in this game. I didn't want to have to worry about tesla updates breaking it, but so far that has _never happened once_, which is great. I'm even running an FSD Beta (which is garbage software, btw :) ) build, and it works fine with FSD Beta (garbage, as mentioned.) just fine.

I know some folks just want stalks but wish to keep the yoke. I am going to do a quick pseudy-survey for folks watching this thread:

If you are interested in a wheel + stalks, please react to this message with the green lightbulb thingy.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 1.56.57 PM.png

If you are interested in a yoke + stalks setup, please react to this message with a laughing emoji thingy.
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 1.57.03 PM.png

I have a friend who is interested and motivated to handle all aspects of marketing/selling this, so I am strongly considering it. But just be aware that this thing is going to be sold for a premium, to make it worth his (and my) time. The fact that I've been using it for over a year with zero issues is compelling to me as something that won't require extensive support, and that's a big deal in this game. I didn't want to have to worry about tesla updates breaking it, but so far that has _never happened once_, which is great. I'm even running an FSD Beta (which is garbage software, btw :) ) build, and it works fine with FSD Beta (garbage, as mentioned.) just fine.
Is it too soon to say that you made my year?
Imo this future product is a must buy for any S/X/Cybertruck owners
(I'm in favor of
1672769334343.png
, Model 3/Y steering wheel + controls + Stalks)

Last edited: