Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you've decided to test with white light as opposed to red? Do you know if white light is allowed legally? I'm just asking because I thought perhaps it wasn't... It probably would look super nice with white though, and I'd rather do white than red... I have enough red light back there with all the brake lights and the red-lit-T. :)

So you've decided to test with white light as opposed to red? Do you know if white light is allowed legally? I'm just asking because I thought perhaps it wasn't... It probably would look super nice with white though, and I'd rather do white than red... I have enough red light back there with all the brake lights and the red-lit-T. :)

In most jurisdictions white light is not legal unless you are backing up.

The light will be white but the letters clear red plastic, so the light will show red. There are no flat led devices in red thin enough to fit. The photo was shot with white LED flashlights, but red is my intention. As mrElbe's post notes, white in the rear of a car is illegal in a number of states, expect for back up lights.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda curious how strictly this is enforced. I would love this mod if I could have it in white. Maybe picking an LED that could do multiple colors would be one solution?

There are no such LEDs in a flat configuration thin enough to work.

Red LEDs through red plastic would give a nicer red color. White will make it bluer light and cameras pick up on that off-tint even more than the naked eye, I think.

Thankfully feeling much better today.

As I indicated the flat LED panels this application requires are only made in white, so the red has to be a result of the material we use for the letter inserts. Plus I like having the T E S L A letters show in red on the appliqué when they are not lit.

My next planned next steps in this process are to make a mold of the T E S L A letters on the face of the stock appliqué, apply the mold to the face of one of the appliqués with the letters cut out, pour casting resin with transparent red dye into the cut-out letters from behind, and when all is cured remove the letters. This will give us a three dimensional version of the letters that can then be scanned for 3D printing and it will also give me a prototype to test with the LED lights (of which I have several versions on the way to me now).

It probably would be easer to have all of this done by the 3D printing shop but they are backed up with work and may not be able to get to this for months. So I have to take matters into my own hands.

Hi Rick,

Glad to hear you're feeling better. They are saying in the news that even the flu shot isn't doing much to stop this year's strains... argh!

I'm always wondering how you know how to do all this stuff (molds, and dyes, and resin...). Very cool!

I was wondering, I never opened up the box of the appliqué I sent you, so I don't know the answer, but is there a space/groove behind the appliqué where this 2mm strip can fit, or will the appliqué actually be a tad less flush with the surface of the trunk lid? I've already had my appliqué on my current car changed twice because of humidity collection in the transparent housings for the backup lights, so I'm wondering if the seal can somehow be improved on, and also if having the appliqué less flush with the car will cause a problem...

Hi Rick,

Glad to hear you're feeling better. They are saying in the news that even the flu shot isn't doing much to stop this year's strains... argh!

I'm always wondering how you know how to do all this stuff (molds, and dyes, and resin...). Very cool!

I was wondering, I never opened up the box of the appliqué I sent you, so I don't know the answer, but is there a space/groove behind the appliqué where this 2mm strip can fit, or will the appliqué actually be a tad less flush with the surface of the trunk lid? I've already had my appliqué on my current car changed twice because of humidity collection in the transparent housings for the backup lights, so I'm wondering if the seal can somehow be improved on, and also if having the appliqué less flush with the car will cause a problem...

The Internet has made much of what I do possible -- you can find anything you need and information that's valuable to a DIY guy like me.

There is no groove on the back of the appliqué, but the LED panels being only 2mm thick I think the appliqué will seat fine on the mount. It has a 4-5mm compressible seal on the top to block water ingress and the double stick tape Tesla uses is thicker than 2mm. The letter cut outs were done without any damage to the mounting pin and tabs so that will also help. And each modified appliqué will have extra double faced tape to ensure that it adheres properly.

I've also have had mine off twice to check things out and I've applied extra double faced tape along the entire perimeter. That works very well and it's better then the OEM approach.

Of course, once I have a modified appliqué all of this be tested on my car first before they'll be available to other owners.

Based on the post here I'm also thinking of providing a color alternative -- red, white, blue. With 3D printed letter inserts that should be easy to do. Each owner can then chose what he or she wants and deal with the legal implications him or herself.

Last edited:
Update.

On my way to my physician this afternoon I stopped off the the 3D printer shop to discuss 3D printing of the letter inserts. Although I didn't remember, months ago I had given him an OEM appliqué. So we agreed that he'll scan the cutouts and the face/relief of the TESLA letters then 3D print a development version of the letters in transparent red. Hopefully this will get done within a week. By then I'll have the LED panels and will be able to test the lighting. Assuming this works, we'll then arrange to have an injection mold made for each letter so they can be produced in volume. I'll only make it in red -- if I make it in white or other colors that are illegal in some states, as the manufacturer I'm vulnerable.

Once I have a working prototype pre-production orders will be accepted. A 50 percent deposit will be required for orders. As I don't know the final costs yet it't difficult to know the price but I'm guessing it will run $600 - $700 total with a credit deducted from that amount for an exchange of the OEM appliqué when it's taken off the car.

Here's a list of those who expressed a serious interest in the lighted Tesla appliqué:

suprkar
Zax123
Btrflyl8e
FLDarren
AMPUP
swegman
kseitzberg
Shumdit
NJ Plugin
NoMoGas
Aaron
kseitzberg

Najeeb
If I've left you off the list please post here.

Last edited:
Rick, at this time I am leaning against doing this mod. I have a Model X reservation now...depending on if I like the final design and features of the X will determine if I trade my S in towards the end of the year, or trade up for a S85D in a few months. If I go the S85D route, then I would likely do the applique mod.

Rick, at this time I am leaning against doing this mod. I have a Model X reservation now...depending on if I like the final design and features of the X will determine if I trade my S in towards the end of the year, or trade up for a S85D in a few months. If I go the S85D route, then I would likely do the applique mod.

Understand. I'm very curious if the Model X will use some of the exterior parts from the Model S, the nose cone for example. Whatever the case I think the lighted Ts and maybe the appliqué will easily adaptable to the X.

Sure looks like it in this photo

tesla-model-x.jpg

Have you considered NeoPixels to achieve color? Each one is capable of 24 bit color, can be controlled by a single wire for a whole long string, and the bare chips are much thinner than your 2mm requirement. They are also available already mounted in a bunch of ways, including some mounted on very thin flex circuit board. I linked to Adafruit because they have good info and ideas; there are lots of ways to source these, even Amazon.

They require a microprocessor based controller... tons of examples for Arduino... but an Arduino would be MASSIVE overkill for the appliqué. I'd suggest an Atmel "Tiny" (unless you already have a different favorite embedded ecosystem). This opens the door to all kinds of things. Light up red with the brakes, optionally brighter red (or flashing, or scrolling) with Gs of deceleration (requires a G sensor, plenty of those around, might even do a 3 axis gyro 3 axis accel for futureproofing).

Pulse, animate, scroll... light up different colors only when not moving (for legal), pulse each letter very brightly and rapidly. Can you imagine parking and having T E S L A light up, bright white, for just an instant each letter, left to right. Then come on medium bright (in whatever color) and very slowly fade out... the only real limit with NeoPixels is imagination.

Understand. I'm very curious if the Model X will use some of the exterior parts from the Model S, the nose cone for example. Whatever the case I think the lighted Ts and maybe the appliqué will easily adaptable to the X.

Sure looks like it in this photo

View attachment 69815
knowing better than to assume anything, it's safe to say that were all gonna know a lot more real soon!

& Danal's post is very interesting. The phrase "tone it down" comes to mind :wink: BUT! that's just cuz I'm getting kinda old. Ha! Not really, let's DO IT !

Have you considered NeoPixels to achieve color? Each one is capable of 24 bit color, can be controlled by a single wire for a whole long string, and the bare chips are much thinner than your 2mm requirement. They are also available already mounted in a bunch of ways, including some mounted on very thin flex circuit board. I linked to Adafruit because they have good info and ideas; there are lots of ways to source these, even Amazon.

Sounds cool as hell but maybe overkill for this type of mod?