Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're now only two weeks away from the first installations. SUPRKAR and I will be doing our cars at the Delaware Supercharger on March 29. Danal may do his own even before then.
Artsci...I live 10 minutes from the Delaware SC.....I will be there. If you have an extra kit I will also do install. al

Artsci...I live 10 minutes from the Delaware SC.....I will be there. If you have an extra kit I will also do install. al

AlMc,

Danal and I talked this am. He's sure he'll have the neopixel electronics ready for two appliqués by then but more will be a stretch. If he has a third it's already committed to DavidB (who's been driving around for months with no rear appliqué and has provided some important insights regarding features of the electronics).

But you are certainly welcome to join us as we need photos and video of the installation, which is hard for us to do while we're installing it.

AlMc,

Danal and I talked this am. He's sure he'll have the neopixel electronics ready for two appliqués by then but more will be a stretch. If he has a third it's already committed to DavidB (who's been driving around for months with no rear appliqué and has provided some important insights regarding features of the electronics).

But you are certainly welcome to join us as we need photos and video of the installation, which is hard for us to do while we're installing it.
No worries. Starbucks on me. Al

Artsci, will installing or adding the letter lens inserts to the applique be part of the installation process, or will that be done ahead a time part of the "kit"?

You might remember, I have my rear applique wrapped in black (picture link) and am thinking if I could get just the applique early, without the letters (like on March 29th), I could get it prepped and wrapped before the April 12th group meeting.

If this is not possible, I certainly understand, and can get it wrapped after installation.

Thanks

Last edited:
Artsci, will installing or adding the letter lens inserts to the applique be part of the installation process, or will that be done ahead a time part of the "kit"?

You might remember, I have my rear applique wrapped in black (picture link) and am thinking if I could get just the applique early, without the letters (like on March 29th), I could get it prepped and wrapped before the April 12th group meeting.

If this is not possible, I certainly understand, and can get it wrapped after installation.

Thanks

The appliques for the group install will be completely assembled with all electronics mounted and waterproofed, so all we'll do is install them on the car and make all of the wiring connections.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the look. Please add me to the list.

Will update the list and repost tonight. Having one's name on the list is important at this stage, as it will effect the price one pays and the order of delivery. Details next week.

...I have my rear applique wrapped in black (picture link) and am thinking if I could get just the applique early, without the letters (like on March 29th), I could get it prepped and wrapped....
I have not worked with wraps, but I suspect that the best result might be, as you suggest, wrapping the appliqué without the letters and returning the appliqué to artsci for the installation of the letters & electronics. I don't think this process could be done before the April group meeting.

I have not worked with wraps, but I suspect that the best result might be, as you suggest, wrapping the appliqué without the letters and returning the appliqué to artsci for the installation of the letters & electronics. I don't think this process could be done before the April group meeting.

I'd have to provide Ken with a version with the letters already cut out, before the letters are inserted and the neopixel electronics installed. Don't know if there will be time for all of that.

- - - Updated - - -

@artsci

Are we sure we won't have the same problem we had with the flat panel LEDS in the frunk (too much amperage)? Looks like more draw than those panels put on the circuit.

We've already thought of that. Won't be a problem.

Artsci,

Not sure of your timing to install the neopixel electronics. But if the applique could be sent to me (I would pay the shipping of course), I could get it done in 2-3 days, and either ship it back to you, or bring on March 29th in Newark.

Again, if this does not work for you, it can be done after installation.

BTW, I believe the product used to "wrap" my applique now is spray on "dip-it". So my possible plan-B is the first thing the morning of the group install is to spray the applique, and exacto out the letters.

Artsci, are the letters flush with the appliqué? I don't know how thick the appliqué is and judging from the photos, they look flush. I was under the impression that the letters would be identical to the letters on the stock appliqué in regards to the 45 degree slope on the edges of the letters. It's cool if they're flush. I just don't remember reading anywhere that they would be different than the stock appliqué.

Artsci,
BTW, I believe the product used to "wrap" my applique now is spray on "dip-it". So my possible plan-B is the first thing the morning of the group install is to spray the applique, and exacto out the letters.

I don't know about "dip-it", but my appliqué is plastic dipped black right now. I'll peel it off just before installation and re-Plasti Dip the new appliqué as soon as I install it. I've tried to exacto plastic dip, it's not easy. The plastic dip stretches and peels from the surface. It stretches even with a new exact blade. If the letters are flush with the appliqué, I'll tape up the letters then spray the appliqué. Then while the dip is wet I'll peel the tape from the letters leaving a clean edge. It'll be similar to what I had to do to the side turn signals.

IMG_3866.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG

Artsci,

Not sure of your timing to install the neopixel electronics. But if the applique could be sent to me (I would pay the shipping of course), I could get it done in 2-3 days, and either ship it back to you, or bring on March 29th in Newark.

Again, if this does not work for you, it can be done after installation.

Let's see what we can work out. I may be able to ship you the competed appliqué in time.

- - - Updated - - -

Artsci, are the letters flush with the appliqué? I don't know how thick the appliqué is and judging from the photos, they look flush. I was under the impression that the letters would be identical to the letters on the stock appliqué in regards to the 45 degree slope on the edges of the letters. It's cool if they're flush. I just don't remember reading anywhere that they would be different than the stock appliqué.

It's not clear from the photos I posted, but the letters have the same profile as the stock chrome, in other words identical to the original. That was our goal and it's been ahcieved.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the updated list:

1NoMoGas
2suprkar
3swegman
4FLDarren
5Btrflyl8e
6AMPUP
7Zax123
8kseitzberg
9Shumdit
10NJ Plugin