Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worrisome auto-acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP is not “ready” for city streets yet. It is only recommended for highway driving at this time.

What "city" streets??? This is in the boonies and I haven't seen anything that limits it to limited access highways. When I first got the car it wouldn't engage on anything other than limited access highways. Then they turned off that restriction, so clearly that is not intended to be an issue now.

Not if the car can't see the road way, stripes, etc. If I could engage it while stopped behind someone, I'd certainly be able to engage it when the driver in front is gone.
Tacc will engage without lane lines. If there are no lane lines, autopilot will track the car in front of you. It turns blue on the display. I've been able to engage autopilot when I'm stopped behind another vehicle and too close for the camera to see the lane lines ahead of it. Look for the gray steering wheel when you're stopped behind someone.

Last edited:
oddly enough I just had this happen to me this morning and I am 100% confident that it was not human error. None of the suggested or questioned situations existed when this happened to me.

Scenario:
I was manually driving into work parking lot (which is 3 linked) as I do every day. No autopilot features engaged, just manual driving. Three complete stop sign stops and a few speed bumps no problem.

Turn left into next lane and then the third spot to the left I approach, turn left and "ease in" like any normal parking and the car lurched forward rapidly when my foot was off the accelerator and I had to smash the breaks to not hit or jump the curb.

I've never experienced anything like this in my 4 months of ownership and reading the thread I would be skeptical.

on 2019.40.50.7

--mike

Tacc will engage without lane lines. If there are no lane lines, autopilot will track the car in front of you. It turns blue on the display. I've been able to engage autopilot when I'm stopped behind another vehicle and too close for the camera to see the lane lines ahead of it. Look for the gray steering wheel when you're stopped behind someone.

Ok, I'll try that.

oddly enough I just had this happen to me this morning and I am 100% confident that it was not human error. None of the suggested or questioned situations existed when this happened to me.

Scenario:
I was manually driving into work parking lot (which is 3 linked) as I do every day. No autopilot features engaged, just manual driving. Three complete stop sign stops and a few speed bumps no problem.

Turn left into next lane and then the third spot to the left I approach, turn left and "ease in" like any normal parking and the car lurched forward rapidly when my foot was off the accelerator and I had to smash the breaks to not hit or jump the curb.

I've never experienced anything like this in my 4 months of ownership and reading the thread I would be skeptical.

on 2019.40.50.7

--mike

Are you positive you didn't accidentally engage the autopilot? I have done this by accident in the past as all it takes is one light downward tap on the right stalk and away you go until you hit the brakes.

Scenario:

on 2019.40.50.7

--mike
This exact thing happened to me once pulling into a garage about 3 months ago, and not since. Scary at the time and like the OP i was always skeptical of these reports. And since I had to stomp on brake I knew I wasn’t hitting gas. No creep mode. It even gave me a rollaway alert so it knew something was wrong. It was brief but strong acceleration though, not simple rolling. I saved the video. 18 months owning, and that was only time it happened. I’ve moved on, and was hoping Hold mode would make recurrence impossible.

Probably a good time to remind folks @wk057 has offered, for a few years now, a bounty to anybody who can provide him a computer from a Tesla that showed actual unintended acceleration.

In dozens of cases so far 100% have turned out to be user error and he's shown them the logs to prove it.

As he once noted-

Jason Hughes said:
The accelerator pedal uses two independent hall effect sensors. These are both routed through different wiring harnesses on each side of the car and eventually go directly to the inverter at the rear motor. These sensors each have their own offsets so they can be compared for consistency/accuracy. If the readings from the sensors don't perfectly pass sanity checks in the inverter then the car doesn't move and it throws an alert to the driver to that effect.

Probably a good time to remind folks @wk057 has offered, for a few years now, a bounty to anybody who can provide him a computer from a Tesla that showed actual unintended acceleration.

In dozens of cases so far 100% have turned out to be user error and he's shown them the logs to prove it.

As he once noted-

Jason Hughes said: said:
The accelerator pedal uses two independent hall effect sensors. These are both routed through different wiring harnesses on each side of the car and eventually go directly to the inverter at the rear motor. These sensors each have their own offsets so they can be compared for consistency/accuracy. If the readings from the sensors don't perfectly pass sanity checks in the inverter then the car doesn't move and it throws an alert to the driver to that effect.

That would be much safer than the single pot that Toyota was using when tin whiskers caused sudden unintended acceleration in some of their cars. It took NASA to find the tin whiskers. They are so microscopic that using a simple resistance meter fries them and leaves virtually no trace they were ever there. But they are enough to cause a low impedance connection and make it look like the throttle is being pressed. Dual Hall effect sensors with an offset are a great idea.

Incidentally, the feel of the gas pedal is one of the things I really like about my Tesla. No other car has had a more responsive feel. But that's mostly the fact it is all electric.

What "city" streets??? This is in the boonies and I haven't seen anything that limits it to limited access highways. When I first got the car it wouldn't engage on anything other than limited access highways. Then they turned off that restriction, so clearly that is not intended to be an issue now.

The manual explicitly warns against using AP outside of restricted access highways and people’s failure to do this has led to some high profile crashes.

The manual explicitly warns against using AP outside of restricted access highways and people’s failure to do this has led to some high profile crashes.

I don't see that term anywhere.

Tesla manual said:
Warning: Autosteer is intended for use
only on highways and limited-access
roads

Tesla doesn't define "highways" which they list separately from limited access roads.

It is not the same as freeway it seems which *is* a limited access road.

So my events were on a "highway".

I don't see that term anywhere.

Tesla doesn't define "highways" which they list separately from limited access roads.

It is not the same as freeway it seems which *is* a limited access road.

So my events were on a "highway".

It’s not disjunctive. If they meant you were safe to use it off of limited access roads they would have written “or” instead of “and.” The phrase is written in a way that assumes that highways are limited access and extends the use to other limited access roadways (which may not be called highways).

The manual also states that TACC shouldn’t be used on city streets or where traffic conditions are constantly changing. It states that auto steer shouldn’t be used on city streets, where construction is present, or in areas where pedestrians or cyclists might be present.

The NHTSA accident report from the deadly accident in Florida where a vehicle using AP on a non-limited access road broadsided a semi and killed the driver stated “Tesla clearly understands the [operational design domain] concept and advised drivers to use AP systems only on limited access roadways. Following the crash Tesla modifies it’s AP firmware to add a preferred road usage constraint...”

Tesla may be allowing people to disobey its warnings, but it’s pretty clear AP is not safe to be used on roads other than those with “limited access.” In the US, that typically means highways, hence the “and” in “highways and limited access roads.”