TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would a D Model S make it up this hill?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by goldenbyte, Jan 24, 2016.

1. goldenbyte

goldenbyte Member

#1 goldenbyte, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I've actually never driven in snow, not once. So if the situation ever arises I'd like to know my limits.

Turn off the sound, it's on 2x speed and annoying.

2. Config

Config Member

#2 Config, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. pdq

pdq Member

#3 pdq, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    I grew up in a rural part of MD and often had to contend with roads with a lot more snow than that, and until getting a P90D I exclusively drove RWD cars. So, with almost 50 years experience I think I can answer this. Would a D model be able to handle these road conditions? Absolutely. However, from the video, it doesn't appear they are driving on snow, but rather a combination of snow and ice, and in all cases, ice is the bigger factor. Unless you have studded snow tires, ice is going to win, no matter if a Tesla or a Chevy.

4. CarlK

CarlK Member

Will snowmobile have a chance? This "D" on regular tires seems to have as much chance as a snowmobile.

P85D vs. snowmobile - YouTube

I don't mean that one should not use snow tires but the D may be even better than you would think.

5. DougH

DougH Active Member

A lot of those cars I am sure where AWD so no?, but isn't all about the tires and not the AWD?

6. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

That video has nothing to do with snow. Ice, bad drivers, and wrong tires are to blame.

7. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

This. Here the roads are plowed and sanded for just that reason. A little bit of sand would make that mild hill easy to drive (I drive a much steeper hill — 14% grade — in my FWD car with regular tires). Otherwise icy road driving requires studded snow tires or chains and they are rarely used on passenger cars here (chains are required for commercial vehicles when conditions are icy).

8. kelly

kelly Member

#8 kelly, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    No, leave the sound on. It is hilarious. It sounds like it is narrated by South Park characters. :smile:

9. Drumheller

Drumheller Member

Best advice is don't go out driving in that weather if you can help it. No car is safe in that situation. Standing in the middle of a pack of wrecked cars filming is even less safe.

I grew up near Chicago and moved to Phoenix in my 20's. Tired of ice and snow.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I'm betting there'd a layer of ice under that snow. In which case "no", The D is unlikely to make it up safely. That said, it is not a very steep looking slope and for normal snow conditions it should be fine. I drive up much steeper snow covered roads in my 2WD S all the time.

11. scottm

scottm Active Member

Kills me to see people standing on road and around their wrecked cars, even after seeing unguided missiles coming down the hill backwards and dog piling 2 tons of metal per crack... stooopid. Get the heck away!

One guy got how to do it, a red half ton, gave up and backed down and got out... why? He didnt have his foot jambed on the brakes locking everything up. Funny watching people trying to steer with 4 wheels locked up.

12. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

Ahhhh...... Nature has a way of weeding out the..........

13. green1

green1 Active Member

This is easy, the number of drive wheels is almost irrelevant, it's all about the tires.

D with summer or all season tires: won't make it
    D with winter tires: no problem

non-D with summer or all season tires: won't make it
    non-D with winter tires: no problem

AWD makes very close to zero difference in comparison to the massive difference made by proper tires. Unfortunately far too few people believe this fact no matter how many studies you show them. (note, I'm not arguing that AWD won't do better than RWD on identical tires, it's just that it's a rather small difference where proper tires are a huge difference and I'm sick of people who chose AWD "instead" of good tires, they're a hazard to themselves and others)

14. Barry

Barry Member

The culprit is ice under the thin layer of snow. I don't think any tires would grip that. Chains or studs, probably.

15. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I bet that a D with proper tires could make it up, however, if you stopped you would slide all the way back down. I have video of me sliding down a hill with XICE XI3s on, I could easily have made it up, but I intentionally stopped in the middle. Almost immediately I started sliding down backwards, like in this video. The proper thing to do in this situation is to start the tires moving again, actually back the car down and you can retain control.

16. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Chains or studs would be better, but ice is a big part of the design target for snow tires, and as the Tirerack skating rink testing videos show, proper snow tires make a big difference in grip on ice. Enough difference for that hill? I dunno.

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Rule number one. Don't f**k with ice.

18. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Yep, enough said here.

19. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

More like an R-rated Chipmunks movie LOL.

20. Clomer

Clomer Member

I recognize that video. It was filmed a few years ago just 2 miles from where I live in Colorado Springs. That day, the roads were unusually slippery, and there were several multi-car pileups all over town. This in a place where ice on the roads is a relatively common occurrence, meaning that people are better than average (not necessarily great) at handling the conditions.

No, I do not believe a Tesla, even a dual-motor variety, would have done any better than many of the cars in the video. Seriously, the conditions were so bad that it was a bad idea to be driving any type of car.