Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would a new DU in 2016 S75 increase range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I purchased a used 2016 S75 from Tesla. Website said range of 249. When I went for pickup, badge said “70”. They said “oh it was updated to a 75 via software updates”. I went home and charged fully, and max range is 220. Of course, Tesla rep said, degradation, 249 was just an estimate, etc.
Month later, my car has other issues, and I take it back in. Tech said to replace DU (under warranty). I’m waiting and wondering - would a new DU be more efficient, and would this increase range? Do they use 2016 design DUs for replacement, or would it be a newer, more efficient unit?

I bought new but it was originally a 60. It charged to the advertised range of the 60 when new (210 I think).

I upgraded it to a 75 a year or two later when the unlock price dropped to $2,000.
Ok. Yes we did the same for our other Tesla. I remember it bumping the range to I think a max of around 234. With 70k miles, that one now fully charges to 220, which I think is fair. The new one I just bought had a listed range of 249. I think it’s the same setup as what you and I have (60 upgraded to 75 but really a 70), and Tesla erroneously advertised it has having max range of 249. Sometime in 2017, the config was changed and the S75 really had a 249 mile max range, so this issue is specific to the 2016s, IMO. Anyway, at least the new DU will stop the thumping noise. Let’s see what they put in…guessing either a refurb DU from older car, or if new, prob the rear motor from AWD cars…

Upvote 0
Ok. Yes we did the same for our other Tesla. I remember it bumping the range to I think a max of around 234. With 70k miles, that one now fully charges to 220, which I think is fair. The new one I just bought had a listed range of 249. I think it’s the same setup as what you and I have (60 upgraded to 75 but really a 70), and Tesla erroneously advertised it has having max range of 249. Sometime in 2017, the config was changed and the S75 really had a 249 mile max range, so this issue is specific to the 2016s, IMO.
Yeah, I’m still not following. This “issue specific to the 2016s” you’re describing didn’t happen as you’re implying.

There are no “60s upgraded to 75 but really a 70”. All 60s were real 75kwh batteries. Crawl under your car(s) and look at the battery stickers to satisfy your curiosity. Nothing changed in 2017.

Tesla didn’t “erroneously” advertise the car you just bought with a range of 249. All S75s had a rated range of 249 miles when new.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Upvote 0
Yeah, I’m still not following. This “issue specific to the 2016s” you’re describing didn’t happen as you’re implying.

There are no “60s upgraded to 75 but really a 70”. All 60s were real 75kwh batteries. Crawl under your car(s) and look at the battery stickers to satisfy your curiosity. Nothing changed in 2017.

Tesla didn’t “erroneously” advertise the car you just bought with a range of 249. All S75s had a rated range of 249 miles when new.
FWIW, my tech listened to my concern and did some digging. My car, an S70 made in June 2016, had a 234 mile range. When Tesla pushed the S75 update, the car software updated. But nothing changed with the battery range. It’s bc the issue wasn’t the battery or the software; couple of other hardware pieces in between needed to be updated (a fuse and some wires). He changed them, and voila, my car went from 219 at full charge to 232 at full charge. Not 249, but close enough, given that it’s 5 years old. Mission accomplished.

Upvote 0