Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would AP2 ever support the DashCam feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would Tesla ever support the DashCam feature for AP 2.0 cars? It's too bad this feature is presently limited only for cars that have AP 2.5 or greater. Is there a hardware reason for this?

When the AP 3.0 hardware update is available, could AP 2.0 cars be upgraded to AP 3.0 thereby being able to use the DashCam feature?

...DashCam feature for AP 2.0 cars...

Not currently but according to the tweet, it looks like the support will be expanded to 2.0 or higher cars when "Sentry Mode" will be activated in future as well.

Of course, AP2.0 can easily be upgraded to 3.0 hardware because AP2.0 cars are promised so if they already paid for Full Self Driving.

If you didn't pay for Full Self Driving, it will cost you extra to do so.

What about us poor AP1 folks?...

I read somewhere that Elon Musk said AP1 to AP2.0 upgrade is just like a spinal cord transplant with a cost about $80,000 so it's not feasible for wasting Service Center time on that.

However, you can certainly ask DIY gurus around here to do it for you.

Jason Hughes was able to upgrade a his wife's classic car without any AP to AP1.

Right now, there are very few differences between AP1 and AP2 but the differences are continuing taking shape:

1) Navigation on Autopilot
2) Automatic lane change much better because of 360 degree cameras.

Near future:
1) Sentry Mode
2) Smart Summon (your car follows your fob as if it's a dog)
3) Driving Roundabout, Signal lights/traffic signs are being internally tested...

Last edited:
They said something like that about AP1 transplants too, and people are doing those for less than $5000.

I have a feeling AP2+ upgrades from "unupgradable" cars will start to happen when it's worth doing.

To answer OP's question: the AP2.0 computer reportedly doesn't have the bandwidth to support recording the video feed to USB. I'll be surprised if Sentry Mode video recording is supported on AP2.0.

I don't care about AP2+ functions, only the dash cam.

Never going to happen for AP1. The MobileEye camera system processes what it sees independently from the Autopilot computer, only sending telemetry data to the AP computer. The video feed itself is inaccessible to Tesla. This was a significant reason behind the breakup between the two and Tesla going further in-house for most of the Autopilot hardware system.

To answer OP's question: the AP2.0 computer reportedly doesn't have the bandwidth to support recording the video feed to USB. I'll be surprised if Sentry Mode video recording is supported on AP2.0.

Never going to happen for AP1. The MobileEye camera system processes what it sees independently from the Autopilot computer, only sending telemetry data to the AP computer. The video feed itself is inaccessible to Tesla. This was a significant reason behind the breakup between the two and Tesla going further in-house for most of the Autopilot hardware system.

I believe Elon said AP2 will support Sentry but it might be because the car is not moving and full AP 2 CPU resources are available.

I really hope that as promised, all AP2 cars will have a reasonable migration path to AP3 as some may have delayed buying full self driving but bought an AP2 car because they were told the car will be able to benefit from FSD features with an available hardware upgrade if AP2 hardware turns out to be not sufficient.

What about us poor AP1 folks?
To me, the only advantage of AP 2+ is the dashcam.
I got an AP2+ MS75D loaner the other day while my AP1 MX was in for service. The additional cameras did provide extra visibility in adjacent lanes for approaching cars that the AP1 does not have. I did not try to test the lane change warning in these conditions but I hoped it would be better than the basically non existent collision warning in my MX.

I got an AP2+ MS75D loaner the other day while my AP1 MX was in for service. The additional cameras did provide extra visibility in adjacent lanes for approaching cars that the AP1 does not have. I did not try to test the lane change warning in these conditions but I hoped it would be better than the basically non existent collision warning in my MX.
I'm sure that AP2+ is better than AP1 and will continue to get better. However, to me it is just fine until FSD is available and my age related degeneration advances to the point where I need the assistance.

Reactions: rhumbliner
I doubt Tesla will dedicate engineering resources to enabling a feature that was never promised on an older platform while other features are missing.

My expectation is that both AP2 and AP2.5 will see a decreasing amount of attention as HW3 is released. At first they'll blame HW3 taking all the resources, and then it will be just so old that they won't bother with it much.

Everyone knows the middle child is forgotten about. :)

If I had AP2 vehicle that I was keeping I'd start saving my pennies for the HW3 upgrade.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I doubt Tesla will dedicate engineering resources to enabling a feature that was never promised on an older platform while other features are missing.

My expectation is that both AP2 and AP2.5 will see a decreasing amount of attention as HW3 is released. At first they'll blame HW3 taking all the resources, and then it will be just so old that they won't bother with it much.

Everyone knows the middle child is forgotten about. :)

If I had AP2 vehicle that I was keeping I'd start saving my pennies for the HW3 upgrade.

But they've been very clear from the beginning that if AP2 hardware is not sufficient for FSD features that a hardware upgrade to AP3 will be available.

The TeslaCam is nothing to write home about in terms of quality and is too many steps to get going. It’s much better to go with something like BlackVue where once it’s wired up you forget about it until it’s needed.

While I agree with you, I think the real power of this will be when and if they allow the side cameras to also be recorded. I would most certainly still have a 4K Blackvue or ThinkWare but would like to have the Tesla Dashcam as a backup, especially if the side cameras are also recorded.

Plus with the 360 camera view the Sentry recording will capture more angles than what a BlackVue/ThinkWare can capture...

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
But they've been very clear from the beginning that if AP2 hardware is not sufficient for FSD features that a hardware upgrade to AP3 will be available.

But, they've never said if it's going to be free. They've only said HW3/AP3 will be free for FSD owners. To me that's an acknowledgement that AP3 isn't sufficient for FSD.

So as I understand it EAP+FSD AP2/AP2.5 owners will get HW3
EAP AP2.0/AP2.5 owners will have to pay to get HW3

I do expect a crap load of EAP only owners will get upset after being told their cars were FSD capable, but they were not.

Reactions: PhilDavid
While I agree with you, I think the real power of this will be when and if they allow the side cameras to also be recorded. I would most certainly still have a 4K Blackvue or ThinkWare but would like to have the Tesla Dashcam as a backup, especially if the side cameras are also recorded.

Plus with the 360 camera view the Sentry recording will capture more angles than what a BlackVue/ThinkWare can capture...

I agree about the Sentry mode. That will be much more useful than the current narrow front cam.

I read somewhere that Elon Musk said AP1 to AP2.0 upgrade is just like a spinal cord transplan
I wonder how many modules, parts and harnesses would be required to turn a classic or autopilot 1 car into a autopilot 2.0 car. Assuming you have a donor and the ability to reprogram the various modules. Someone such as rich rebuild could in theory do it, but you would have to strip the car to its shell and just transfer the parts from a donor car. I was thinking of the feasibility of doing such a thing on a early signature red Model S. Perhaps one day if i can find a example with bad pack or motors and buy a salvaged donor. I may attempt to do it,

Reactions: Tam
I wonder how many modules, parts and harnesses would be required to turn a classic or autopilot 1 car into a autopilot 2.0 car. Assuming you have a donor and the ability to reprogram the various modules. Someone such as rich rebuild could in theory do it, but you would have to strip the car to its shell and just transfer the parts from a donor car. I was thinking of the feasibility of doing such a thing on a early signature red Model S. Perhaps one day if i can find a example with bad pack or motors and buy a salvaged donor. I may attempt to do it,

It would be cheaper to sell the AP1 car and then buy an AP2 car...