Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would AP2 ever support the DashCam feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many modules, parts and harnesses would be required to turn a classic or autopilot 1 car into a autopilot 2.0 car. Assuming you have a donor and the ability to reprogram the various modules. Someone such as rich rebuild could in theory do it, but you would have to strip the car to its shell and just transfer the parts from a donor car. I was thinking of the feasibility of doing such a thing on a early signature red Model S. Perhaps one day if i can find a example with bad pack or motors and buy a salvaged donor. I may attempt to do it,
It's been done. Guy that did it said it was in no way worth it in the cost of parts or time.

• Helpful
Reactions: mspohr
Slight off topic, but they should be able to generate a surround type view when parking with all the cameras shouldn't they? It doesn't need to be actual live vision (I think someone posted elsewhere they couldn't' do 'real images') but if the car has the ability to park itself then it can recognise parking bay lines and obstacles all around so they could render them on screen. Most of the time that is all I need to make sure I've backed in straight and dead between the lines.

Slight off topic, but they should be able to generate a surround type view when parking with all the cameras shouldn't they? It doesn't need to be actual live vision (I think someone posted elsewhere they couldn't' do 'real images') but if the car has the ability to park itself then it can recognise parking bay lines and obstacles all around so they could render them on screen. Most of the time that is all I need to make sure I've backed in straight and dead between the lines.
Self parking today has nothing to do with camera vision. It's entirely off the ultrasonic sensors and some logic about how deep a parallel or perpendicular spot may be. You'll notice it's never available unless there's a vehicle/obstacle on either side of the spot.

The existing ultrasound sensors give you that view.

360 view only appears with auto park (P) which sucks btw. Auto park is still buggy - never know when “P” will appear and P mostly appears in traffic. Hey Elon, how about an auto park switch/button/something like every other car that has a similar parking feature!

Useless for parallel parking, does not recognize where the curb is and the few times I’ve used it, autopark parks ~2 feet from the curb.

• Informative
Reactions: P100D_Me
I don't care about AP2+ functions, only the dash cam.

Why? I have 2.5 and the dash cam function is semi useless. It does not work when the car is off so not useful for theft/abuse detection. It is front camera only so if someone hits your from behind too bad. And, it overwrites the data all the time unless you push the button to tell it to save the last 10 minutes.

If you want a dash cam system, this is not the one you want. Maybe they will update it to be more useful, but right now the only thing it records are in front of you when you drive.

360 view only appears with auto park (P) which sucks btw. Auto park is still buggy - never know when “P” will appear and P mostly appears in traffic. Hey Elon, how about an auto park switch/button/something like every other car that has a similar parking feature!
I've seen enough Tesla auto park disasters on the internet to know I am never using it, not that I would by choice anyway I'd rather be the one who ensures I don't scrape my wheels against the curb. But I know what you mean with the (P) just randomly appearing when you don't want it to.
Unfortunately it is a bitter pill to swallow sometimes that Tesla cars don't have some now quite common functions other cars costing 1/5th the price have (like surround view or rendered overhead views when parking).

Reactions: jboy210
I've seen enough Tesla auto park disasters on the internet to know I am never using it, not that I would by choice anyway I'd rather be the one who ensures I don't scrape my wheels against the curb. But I know what you mean with the (P) just randomly appearing when you don't want it to.
Unfortunately it is a bitter pill to swallow sometimes that Tesla cars don't have some now quite common functions other cars costing 1/5th the price have (like surround view or rendered overhead views when parking).

Yep. When i was ordering my X I was shocked to see I could not get 360 view and a HUD.

Ok I've seen it pop up when the Auto Park system wants to activate (which I don't use). Is there a way to bring up that view by choice?
Here are a few of the screens from my AP1 showing how it displays the ultrasound sensor data. This is the default view that comes up automatically.

Backing out of the garage:
IMG_20190129_142557.jpg

IMG_20190129_142602.jpg

In Drive pulling up to snowbanks in my driveway:
IMG_20190129_144410.jpg

Driving down the road with snowbanks on the side:

IMG_20190129_142707.jpg

Yes, but what they should be able to do using the side and rear and front cameras is render the line markings in the park, something like I butchered up in the attached picture. It doesn't need to be a live view from all cameras (though some cars do this), but something to help with the line position.
If the car can already see line markings for AP then it could do this surely.

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_142557_b.jpg
    IMG_20190129_142557_b.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Yes, but what they should be able to do using the side and rear and front cameras is render the line markings in the park, something like I butchered up in the attached picture. It doesn't need to be a live view from all cameras (though some cars do this), but something to help with the line position.
If the car can already see line markings for AP then it could do this surely.
Someday, yes. Maybe as soon as Advance Summon arrives. But today it does not.

To answer OP's question: the AP2.0 computer reportedly doesn't have the bandwidth to support recording the video feed to USB. I'll be surprised if Sentry Mode video recording is supported on AP2.0.
As expected, Sentry Mode was announced tonight with no support for AP2.0 cars. "The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017."

As expected, Sentry Mode was announced tonight with no support for AP2.0 cars. "The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017."
Just another one of Elon's many over promise under deliver-isms. He's really starting to piss me off. I know I know, just sell the car if I don't like it...

I thought we were told AP2 cars will be able to use Sentry.

At the very least I hope they offer a reasonable migration path to AP3 for AP2 cars so they can have the Dashcam and Sentry features.

Reactions: UkrHog