Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would I be crazy to drive into Manhattan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I am planning a trip to NYC and Philadelphia for next week. Dinner with friends in NYC on Tuesday night, and then dinner in the Philadelphia area with my son and his fiance the next night. I could fly or take the train, but the fares would run $200 or more, and so I am thinking of driving. Supercharging would be free. So all I'd pay is tolls. And driving would give me flexibility in my schedule.

My NYC hotel is near Times Square. Google maps routes me into Manhattan via route 9A (Henry Hudson Parkway) on the west side. I can time my arrival to avoid rush hour, I hope.

Would this be nuts? i do not relish the idea of driving in Manhattan. (I am not worried about the drive to my son's house in Philadelphia, having done that before.)

I thought about driving to a suburban location and parking, then taking commuter rail. That might be easier in one way, but would involve some backtracking when I leave Manhattan and head for Philadelphia on the second day. Plus I do not know if commuter rail stations allow overnight parking (those near Boston sometimes do not) and I would wonder if there would be a parking space available in the middle of the day when I need it.

So -- those of you in the NYC area or who drive there often, what do you think?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I've driven the Tesla in to Manhattan 3-4 times, and not a problem. Parking takes a little planning depending on what your hotel has available, but I've gotten garages with chargers in them a couple of times. If not, a supercharge on the way in, and then again on the way out, of the city usually gives you plenty of range for a few days within it.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
I drive my MS into Manhattan all the time from suburban Philadelphia, but know that daily/overnight parking rates in mid town are $50-60. We have an apartment in the East Village and parking there is less expensive, and I've even parked for free on the street on Sundays, but if you add up tolls and parking you might find that flying or the train is cheaper and less hassle. The worst area to drive any car in Manhattan is mid-town/Times Square because of the congestion all hours, but you might want to try it once to see if you like it.

• Helpful
I am planning a trip to NYC and Philadelphia for next week. Dinner with friends in NYC on Tuesday night, and then dinner in the Philadelphia area with my son and his fiance the next night. I could fly or take the train, but the fares would run $200 or more, and so I am thinking of driving. Supercharging would be free. So all I'd pay is tolls. And driving would give me flexibility in my schedule.

My NYC hotel is near Times Square. Google maps routes me into Manhattan via route 9A (Henry Hudson Parkway) on the west side. I can time my arrival to avoid rush hour, I hope.

Would this be nuts? i do not relish the idea of driving in Manhattan. (I am not worried about the drive to my son's house in Philadelphia, having done that before.)

I thought about driving to a suburban location and parking, then taking commuter rail. That might be easier in one way, but would involve some backtracking when I leave Manhattan and head for Philadelphia on the second day. Plus I do not know if commuter rail stations allow overnight parking (those near Boston sometimes do not) and I would wonder if there would be a parking space available in the middle of the day when I need it.

So -- those of you in the NYC area or who drive there often, what do you think?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Go for it! I drive into Manhattan at least once a week. If you want to avoid surface streets enter thru the Lincoln tunnel and park at the port authority garage. Otherwise lots of parking options near subways. Keep us posted!

• Helpful
driving to manhattan is not problematic, but using the car as transportation while there isn't a good idea.
find a safe secure place to park the car during your visit, there is a self park fairly close by at the port authority bus terminal, or you can try to find a garage that has a charger.
parking prices in manhattan can be very pricey so if you know of a place outside of the city that you trust you could save a few bucks by leaving the car there.

• Helpful

Recommend taking the Merritt parkway through CT (CT-15), charging at the Greenwich rest stop supercharger, this turns into the Hutchinson Parkway in NY, and eventually runs into the Cross County and Henry Hudson Parkway/West Side Highway. From there you can turn on whatever st # you please as you run South

All the time just have to really plan the parking and be careful of the areas known to have a lot of potholes (Waze is very helpful).

Actually used AP on the west side highway going home last week. Worked great until I got to the Henry Hudson (before the toll). It was dark and the lines were clear, but the turns seemed to be a little too much for it.

• Helpful
I've driven into the city a few times with the Tesla. Each time I think I'll just find a garage to park in, but have found street parking very quickly. Different parts of the city.

With that being said, if you're one of those people who would go nuts if someone bumped your car with their bumper while parking, don't take the Tesla into the city.

I commute daily down the West Side Highway and have my monthly spot at Broadway and 55th Street, just north of Times Square. There are several Teslas there daily and they have 2 HPWCs if you need to top off. I trust the attendants more than I do any public parking lots where your doors are dinged by "unprofessional" parkers.
The garage is on plugshare at this location if you need the address.

Good luck!

I've driven in Manhattan many times with no problems. It's a lot saner than Boston!

However, having said that, we generally park in Harrison, Ct and take the train in. Between the cost of parking and several very bad experiences getting into the city, we prefer the lack of drama.

I'll throw my $0.02 . . . .

I hate taking my car into NYC. I've driven more times than I can count. Having lived/worked in the area a few years ago, I have friends in Manhattan and NJ. These days, I really prefer to take the train (from DC). It's less hassle, faster and honestly costs about the same (after tolls, parking and time). However, if I was doing Philly AND NYC, I would probably drive.

I would also check out an app/website called SpotHero for cheaper garaged parking.

One way to save a bit of $$ on parking is to park the car in a lot during the day (you can often find great "early bird" specials) and then in most neighborhoods on street parking is wide open from 7 PM onwards. It is a bit of a hassle, but you will be spending $10-15/day instead of $50-60/day on parking this way. the savings add up over the course of a few days. obviously if you are only in town or the night, this won't be an issue.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Drive through the Lincoln tunnel and park at the park yourself lot ..

Do a google search on self parking parking lots..it's right as your coming through the tunnel. I don't remember the exact street address but googling it will make it easy...

That's one of my favorite parking garages because you park the car yourself...just find a good spot up high and enjoy.

I've driven into manhattan for 30 years in my corvettes...I'd park my tesla in the self parking lots as well. Take a cab from there to where you need to go.

Jmo

Ops..the one by port authority was just daily parking so forget that one..I never stayed over night since I live only 20 miles out of manhattan....

Sorry about that...maybe the one at Lincoln center? For overnight...

Give them a call and check their rates