Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a new 2019 inventory model 3 with 6k discount?

Would you take the discount on a “new” 2 year old 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put a deposit down on an inventory model 3 LR awd with under 20 miles on the car and received a 6k discount. Sounds great right? I did too and so I put a deposit down right away to secure it. But now, I’m finding out it’s been sitting somewhere for close to 2 years and having second thoughts because of how the car could have been stored, tire issues from not being moved, uncertainty about how the batteries were taken care of and also pretty certain it only has hw2.5 (did not order fsd).

So what would you guys do? Take the discount or rather just get new?

thanks in advance!

It really depends on if you can get a satisfactory answer for "why" it has been sitting that long (and an understanding that, the car has almost 2 years of depreciation on it already too, so that 6k discount isnt "really" a 6k discount. it may not even be discounted enough for what its worth due to depreciation).

I certainly wouldnt buy it, but I have very little tolerance (or high skepticism, depending on how you look at it) for a "new" car that had been sitting around for 2 years. Some see a deal, I see "WTF bbq?!?!?" (lol).

that being said, some people really like deals like these. If thats you, and you get a good answer for why it was sitting around (and maybe some other goodies thrown in like free supercharging for a year or something if that has value to you)... maybe?

It really depends on if you can get a satisfactory answer for "why" it has been sitting that long (and an understanding that, the car has almost 2 years of depreciation on it already too, so that 6k discount isnt "really" a 6k discount. it may not even be discounted enough for what its worth due to depreciation).

I certainly wouldnt buy it, but I have very little tolerance (or high skepticism, depending on how you look at it) for a "new" car that had been sitting around for 2 years. Some see a deal, I see "WTF bbq?!?!?" (lol).

that being said, some people really like deals like these. If thats you, and you get a good answer for why it was sitting around (and maybe some other goodies thrown in like free supercharging for a year or something if that has value to you)... maybe?

Thanks for the reply! The “why” is definitely key here. I’ve asked for clarification and will update when I get some news. As far as asking for additional goodies, I’m not sure I have much to stand on since I already threw down that non refundable deposit. But considering they are selling the same car used with 20k miles for more than what I’m paying, it still seems like a good “deal”.

But now, I’m finding out it’s been sitting somewhere for close to 2 years and having second thoughts because of how the car could have been stored, tire issues from not being moved, uncertainty about how the batteries were taken care of and also pretty certain it only has hw2.5 (did not order fsd).

There is a reason that car sat for 2 years, but I doubt you will hear it. Most likely, the car was rejected and it has taken 2 years to resolve whatever issue it was. Or possibly there was a legal issue - that can take a long time in the court system to play out.

I wouldn't touch it. And I wouldn't believe any story.

That said, if you could examine the car carefully, verify the tires, the fit and finish, the battery capacity and do a test drive, (and it passed all that), buy it.

• Helpful
Reactions: BlindPass and IdaX
I was just actually looking into nearly the same situation. A tesla sales rep emailed me about my interest in a model Y after signing up for a test drive. He then also asked if i may be interested in an inventory model 3, which I also happen to be since i've been looking into trading my LRRWD in for an AWD. Apparently, though, this is a 2018 model that was supposedly a showroom car in Japan, and it only has 24 miles.

I've read that 2018 cars had more issues since it was the launch year, so i'm hesitant to jump on this deal.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Update: My account doesn’t reflect the pricing adjustment and there’s no vin assigned any longer. Called Tesla and they have no idea what’s happening. I placed an order for the car but somehow it’s “lost”. I wonder what happened and what caused this?

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

I'm not big on cliches, but this is a good one. Yes, used Teslas are priced pretty close to new models. There are many reasons, including a lack of patience from most consumers. So when you see one priced significantly lower, it's probably not a good deal- there's probably a reason. Whether it be Tesla, a dealership, or a private party, nobody is going to subsidize your purchase of a used car by selling it for less than it is worth.

The prudent thing to do is stop thinking about this used car, order the new one, and then kick back and distract yourself with something else for a few weeks. When your car comes in, you'll be so happy you waited. And, you'll know what you're getting.

Reactions: petergy
Update: Tesla told me there was a glitch and the car went to someone else. They now are saying they I’m in line for a new one at regular price. Can’t help but feel a bit bait and switched by this, whether or not it was intentional. I have all of the details that state that I purchased this car and now they are saying nope. Not sure what I’m going to do from here but I’m sure I’ve got no legal action to take so it’s just a matter of moving on or making a big stink of it to everyone involved.

thanks for all the input but it looks like the unicorn deal got away this time.

• Helpful
Reactions: P-Lo801
Update: Tesla told me there was a glitch and the car went to someone else. They now are saying they I’m in line for a new one at regular price. Can’t help but feel a bit bait and switched by this, whether or not it was intentional. I have all of the details that state that I purchased this car and now they are saying nope. Not sure what I’m going to do from here but I’m sure I’ve got no legal action to take so it’s just a matter of moving on or making a big stink of it to everyone involved.

Wow, I'm sorry this happened. Thanks for letting me know because now I'm even more hesitant since this happened to you. I hope it works out.

Let it go. You'll never really know what would've happened with that car. Instead, look forward to getting the exact car you want, at a price you can still afford. There are a lot of benefits to buying new- full warranty, state EV incentives, peace of mind, resale, etc. If you play the "what if..." game, you'll never be happy.

Honestly, you're probably better off.

Reactions: Reborn
Call your sales advisor from time to time and ask about inventory.

Mine want new, but I picked up a 2020 LR AWD for $43,000. It had 2,700 miles on it. White on 19s, black interior, non fsd.

Deals are out there. But I honestly wouldn’t have bought a 2 yr old “new car”. Not an EV anyway.

Let it go. You'll never really know what would've happened with that car. Instead, look forward to getting the exact car you want, at a price you can still afford. There are a lot of benefits to buying new- full warranty, state EV incentives, peace of mind, resale, etc. If you play the "what if..." game, you'll never be happy.

Honestly, you're probably better off.

Yeah, but to add salt to the wound, the car came with the new warranty and would be titled as new for the state ev incentives. :( buuuut small update:

Talked to the Sales advisor some more and he was apologetic and when I inquired further, told me that the car had been sitting in a showroom in Asia for most of it's life and made it's way back here to be sold.

Call your sales advisor from time to time and ask about inventory.

Mine want new, but I picked up a 2020 LR AWD for $43,000. It had 2,700 miles on it. White on 19s, black interior, non fsd.

Deals are out there. But I honestly wouldn’t have bought a 2 yr old “new car”. Not an EV anyway.

Yeah I would totally pay 1k more for a 2020 with 2700 miles! This gives me hope and I will continue to look. Thank you for the information!

Edit - actually, my build was base without wheels so your deal is just as good if not better than the one I found. Did you get yours from a sales advisor or just stalked the website?