Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

would you considering sacrificing range to get extended tire life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My important points when buying tires (updated for EVs):
  • Excellent handling (coming from owning a BMW for almost 20 years)
  • Range (i.e., low rolling resistance)
  • Noise (obviously, the lower, the better)
  • Treadwear
Some of these can be mutually exclusive but I can dream, right? I'm on half a second set of factory MXM4s, having replaced the rears when I had a second puncture in one of them at just over one year and 13K miles; have 25K miles now. They probably still had 4-5K miles left on them but decided to replace both. Currently, all four are at 5/32nds and I'm going to be looking at new rubber.
Based on your criteria you'd probably really like the Pirelli P Zero ALL Season Plus Elect.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are the best everyday performance street tires. All Season 4's are second best. They last longer than the 4S but are not as grippy.

I get ~$400 discounts on every new set. Only with Michelin. Pirellis are also trash.

Upvote 0
My #1 priority is low noise.
Here you go, if you are okay with slightly wider tire (245 45 r 18)

Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 are really quiet.

@_Redshift_ Tirerack.com still has Pirelli Cinturatos P7 in 235/45R18. They also have Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 in 245/45R18.

Are these the ones you are talking about? The treads are a bit different to each other. The main spec difference appears to be UTQG of 500AA for the Cinturatos and 740AA for the AS Plus 3.

[this part was from me replying to the above poster]

The first link is for the older versions of the tires I got last year. Mine were called Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II. Those were highest rated for quietness and comfort. This older version (I don’t know why they have the older version in stock TBH) is not rated very high, as you can see.

The second link (P7 AS Plus 3) is the one I am suggesting you guys can try.

Upvote 0
extended tire life with this car isn't a thing. i'm at 65k miles and about to be on my fifth set of tires the next time i'm due for a rotation. at least with the hankooks i replaced the OEM tires with, i have a 50k warranty so i have gotten a decent credit back on each subsequent set since they never get close to 50k miles.

just budget for a set of tires once a year, that's what i've started doing.
I have a theory. I believe the 235 width tires are undersized for this car, given it’s weight and torque output. Sure they work, but they wear out fast. I swapped out the OEM Pirelli 235/35R20 tires for Michelin PS4S 255/35R20 tires, which have a weight rating of 1,609lbs instead of the OEM tires’ 1,389lbs, and they not only perform much better but they aren’t wearing nearly as fast.

Upvote 0
I have a theory. I believe the 235 width tires are undersized for this car, given it’s weight and torque output. Sure they work, but they wear out fast. I swapped out the OEM Pirelli 235/35R20 tires for Michelin PS4S 255/35R20 tires, which have a weight rating of 1,609lbs instead of the OEM tires’ 1,389lbs, and they not only perform much better but they aren’t wearing nearly as fast.
Surely that's just because you're spreading the same weight over a larger area (which I assume is your point). I do agree they are narrow, it's that compromise between range and grip, it's far more of a big deal with evs than ice.

Upvote 0
They hit a home run with the Michelin PS4S (summer) tires that came on my Performance. I could tell pretty early on that they weren’t wearing much at all, and, as I’ve mentioned on the site before, I predicted I’d get at least 50,000 out of them. I was right. I’m on my second set now at 65,000 miles, and, again see no appreciable wear at approx 14,000 so far on the new set.

To top it all off, these are some of the best handling, grippy tires I’ve ever experienced in over 4 decades of vehicle ownership. Obviously, I’m not an everyday hot fodder, but I don’t baby it either! I don’t know how Michelin did it, but kudos to them on the development of these tires. They are a true unicorn that I’d recommend to anyone looking for great performance and awesome wear!

Reactions: jrbright1
Upvote 0
I am on my third set of MXM4, each set last no longer than 22k. For me in terms of priority:

1) Handling including dry/wet performance
2) Comfort/noise
3) Thread wear

With today's long range EV, how much differences are we talking about? Are we talking about 30% life but sacrifice 50% range ? Or much lower percentage?

Upvote 0
1) safety (AS handling on wet/dry/stopping distance)
2) comfort (road noise especially followed by a softer ride)
3) efficiency = range
4) tire life is dead last for me... especially when specific OEM tires for electric vehicles now come with a 50k mileage warranty

i would never take a rock hard tire with a lot of road noise and harsh ride over a more comfortable tire just to get 10k miles more tire life.

Upvote 0
Here you go, if you are okay with slightly wider tire (245 45 r 18)

Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 are really quiet.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

My 235/45R-18 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL tires were recommended for being quiet, but I haven't been impressed. They were cheap ($630 for four a year ago) and they stick out beyond the hubcaps, preventing curb rash!

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll look into that.

My 235/45R-18 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL tires were recommended for being quiet, but I haven't been impressed. They were cheap ($630 for four a year ago) and they stick out beyond the hubcaps, preventing curb rash!
Those were my second choice if Pirelli Cinturato was not available.

Don‘t blame the tires too much. Model 3 is a very hard car to quieten. Speaking from personal experience. I have applied the sound deadening to every possible surface inside the car except the firewall. It is quieter, but the front of the car is still a bit loud, despite insulating the wheel wells, the frunk, the floor and even parts of the fender insides.

If you drive a Porsche Taycan, for example, you will be struck by how quiet it is, on all surfaces. However, that comes with the weight penalty of being 5200lbs heavy. Comparatively, even my air suspension Model S is loud. (The Taycan I test drive had air suspension)

Upvote 0
I've always bought Michelins, and they seem to last well. I get 40-50K miles on them routinely. I don't have any reason to switch, so going to another brand gives me pause.
probably true for CrossClimate2 and others... but the EV specific MXM4 isn't great at all. I'd be shocked if anyone here got anywhere near 40k miles on them. Mine would have lasted *maybe* 30k miles and I rarely floor it and had a lot of long road-trips on the car. Ride comfort and noise on the P Zero elect is better than the MXM4 as well. That being said - I'm a huge Michelin brand loyalist otherwise. The factory Michelin's on my F150 lasted 70k miles :)

Upvote 0
Considering how fast the original tires wear, would you considering sacrificing range to get extended tire life?
Considering that Pirelli tires are complete trash, I'd say just get better tires and keep your range. I've had several sets of Pirelli's on various new vehicles from Performance tires, to SUV tires, and econo tires on a commuter, and they always dissapoint.

Upvote 0
Those were my second choice if Pirelli Cinturato was not available.

Don‘t blame the tires too much. Model 3 is a very hard car to quieten. Speaking from personal experience. I have applied the sound deadening to every possible surface inside the car except the firewall. It is quieter, but the front of the car is still a bit loud, despite insulating the wheel wells, the frunk, the floor and even parts of the fender insides.

If you drive a Porsche Taycan, for example, you will be struck by how quiet it is, on all surfaces. However, that comes with the weight penalty of being 5200lbs heavy. Comparatively, even my air suspension Model S is loud. (The Taycan I test drive had air suspension)
Tbf I'd expect the taycan to be quieter, they sell for just a bit more:p. Frameless doors don't help, and they do seem a bit pointless when not on a convertible.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
Have you noticed a difference in range? By chance can you calculate how much?

Upvote 0
I am on my third set of MXM4, each set last no longer than 22k. For me in terms of priority:

1) Handling including dry/wet performance
2) Comfort/noise
3) Thread wear

With today's long range EV, how much differences are we talking about? Are we talking about 30% life but sacrifice 50% range ? Or much lower percentage?
I think that is the balance we are trying to achieve. Because the standard of testing is not designed towards EV, we need to literally write the book.

Upvote 0
probably true for CrossClimate2 and others... but the EV specific MXM4 isn't great at all. I'd be shocked if anyone here got anywhere near 40k miles on them. Mine would have lasted *maybe* 30k miles and I rarely floor it and had a lot of long road-trips on the car. Ride comfort and noise on the P Zero elect is better than the MXM4 as well. That being said - I'm a huge Michelin brand loyalist otherwise. The factory Michelin's on my F150 lasted 70k miles :)
The MXM4 is a catalog tire, that was enhanced for EV, but not specifically built for EV. They use the tire OEM on several vehicle platforms.

Upvote 0