Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you, could you drive a ICE again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*cough* average commute = 30 or 40km, I believe. But we still have to tow that trailer across the Nullarbor.

honestly not everyone lives in brisbane and the average vehicle you see here in australia DEFINETELY has higher milage than the average car in europe. If you live in Northern Australia the distances also get quite vast.
Honestly, I look down south and everything seems so close together lol.

To answer the OP's question, I had a P85D for 3 years and liked it but sold it and bought a BMW M5. I sometimes miss the Tesla and would have an electric car again but maybe a Taycan instead as I like the way Porsches drive. If Tesla did a full refresh of the Model S with an upmarket interior, I'd be tempted but I don't think they can afford it with all the new model stuff going on. I'm working on my wife to get a Model 3 but she just says "I'm happy with my 3 Series..."

I like all cars - with a weakness for sports cars - and I'm also keen on EV's.
Thankfully tesla are dispensing with olde worlde “luxury” interiors full of design overkill and knobs, and replacing it with refined minimalism, or contemporary luxury. All the european cars now feel very dated to me. Even suzuki have made a decent effort at minimalism in their latest swift.

Used my son's ICE car last week to move a load of boxes, parked it, managed to walk about a dozen paces before I looked back and wondered why it was still making a noise...I am so used to jumping out of the Model 3 and walking away that I had forgotten to turn off the ICE car, remove the key, and then remote lock it...

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
Absolutely could, and have gone back. If we were overseas where there’s affordable options for electric it would be a different story but we live here, down under, where we have no options. Not all of us can afford a $60,000+ car Or want to buy one at that cost. We’re spoilt for choice with really good ICE options at around the $40K mark, and they’re getting better at emissions and features.

The cheapest Tesla option is a second hand S but we’re still taking $65-70K so that’s out of reach for most.
The Kona is a great option but seriously - that price! I can buy a petrol Kona for $25,000 with special low rate finance deals or a demo one for $22,000. The electric - $65,000! FFS I could buy two petrol ones and still have enough for years of fuel before I got to the price of the electric Kona. What else have we got - BMW, $$$, Jag $$$$, etc.

Down here the only sales pitch is that you have an electric car with good acceleration because you could buy a petrol and donate $10K to emissions offset or something and you’re still way ahead. And don’t get me started on charging infrastructure. Because we’re a tiny market we’re just not going to get the options they get overseas. So we won’t get the VW ID, the mini, the countless other cars they get overseas. The magic number here I reckon would be $35-40K. We had 650 Leafs brought in and when they tried to sell them for $65K they sat for years in dealers. Reduce them to $39,990 drive away and they sold. I would like to see a Chinese option come here for that sort of money and I think they would sell a lot of them, but at the huge costs with no incentives for everything else we just don’t have any choice.