Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you join the Elon's Robo-Taxi Fleet with your Tesla?

Would you place your Tesla in Elon's Robo-Taxi Fleet to earn $$$?

• Yes

• No... never

• Maybe... I'll explain the circumstances in the thread below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely no. I take very good care of my Model 3. If I had it running around town while I was at work picking up random people I would be very upset if my car came back to me at the end of the work day all dirty or even worse with potential interior/exterior damage. Perhaps when I get the Model Y in a few years I may consider keeping my 3 to use for the Tesla fleet, but as long as my Model 3 is my primary vehicle it will never be used for any autonomous ride sharing. And this is all assuming that Tesla will succeed in creating their autonomous ride sharing fleet. Until I see some truly amazing FSD capabilities this all seems like a pipe dream to me.

Assuming it is out driving around on its own:

1) How will insurance work?
2) How am I protected against damage caused by passengers?
3) What is the true net profit?

At the point FSD actually is so reliable that the car actually could be out on its own, meaning not just safe but actually working smoothly, I’d be game if there were satisfactory solutions to the above.

Also, I'll add that while I could see FSD reaching this point in a few years for most of the US, I don't see it working reliably in urban San Francisco for at least 8-10 years. Driving in this city is one giant edge case.

Last edited:
Tesla Robo-Taxi Fleet. From the article below, there seems to be a business case to do just that... potentially making $10,000+ per yea

I think some people may consider it but most of us prob not bc we love driving.

Tesla will get the cars from either people re-selling their used cars back to Tesla or just build more albeit with less features since this pool of cars will be used for a new Uber-like driverless service.

Fast forward a few years from that point, the young kids, 10 and under today will no longer need and probably want to drive a car anymore because they would have been aware and comfortable with FSD cars on the road. Just my own opinion, but car buying is going to end once regulations open up.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Only once it has been replaced by a newer/nicer car for me to drive everyday. Probably a good case for keeping it around instead of trading it in/selling it when that time comes. Until then: NFW, I love my car and I love driving it.

I like the idea of buying the car now and enjoying it personally for 3-5 years and then letting it enter the Robo-Taxi Fleet to make $10,000+ or more per year. Perhaps a good investment, that as an 'appreciating asset", will pay for its replacment. This may be the best way to way to finance my Model Y down the line. The real question is if it makes more sense to "Trade In" your Tesla in 3 years or keep it and enter the Robo-Taxi Fleet and use those $10,000/yr proceeds to finance your next Tesla... ???

Last edited:
No. Car is personal to me, especially when it involves my kids I am paranoid.

Also, we will see how lucrative it is when it finally does happen but plenty of YouTube videos out there that shows how most of these side hustles are not worth it to be Uber driver, food delivery, scooter charger. But yes I do know it involves none of your time.

I will never do ride share, but some kind of travel exchange plan seems attracting. 3P owners can drive each other’s car when travel to a different city, with their SC account and driver profile automatically applied... Better than rent an ICE or seeking for Model 3s on Turo for 100+ a day.

I will never do ride share, but some kind of travel exchange plan seems attracting. 3P owners can drive each other’s car when travel to a different city, with their SC account and driver profile automatically applied... Better than rent an ICE or seeking for Model 3s on Turo for 100+ a day.

I really cant fathom having just anybody jump into my Tesla for a rideshare, attended or unattended, but some kind of Robo-Taxi Service for family, friends and other Tesla owners would be a safer incremental step for me, if it were managed carefully through the Tesla App.

Its like Airbnb. I don't list my home on that for good reason. It can make people lots of money, but the people making money are the companies that own many of them.

Also in the future I project there will be a clear separation between personally owned and autonomous vs. company owned and autonomous.

Also, why would Tesla allow you to make all the profit? Its like Tesla vs. dealerships, Tesla wants to keep the profits.

also... my white seats. so no.

I like the potential of this. I won't do it but I'm sure plenty of people will. Win win I think.

Fun to think, what if there will be points. Points worth 3x if used towards purchasing another Tesla.

Could you image rating your Tesla Robo-Taxi rideshare like you rate your Uber driver? If your Tesla Taxi Fleet Vehicle gets a 5 star rating for cleanliness and "experience", Tesla could incentivize you by giving you points toward your next car purchase. How do you like that for a referral program?

Lots of potential incentive "demand levers" for Elon to pull with this Robo-Taxi Fleet. The shorts have been waiting for Elon to exhaust those demand levers, but looks like he just bought at least 3 more years with this latest FSD Robo-Taxi offering. Lots of untapped potential here!

Last edited: