Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you join the Elon's Robo-Taxi Fleet with your Tesla?

Would you place your Tesla in Elon's Robo-Taxi Fleet to earn $$$?

• Yes

• No... never

• Maybe... I'll explain the circumstances in the thread below.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you would consider putting your car up for hire in the Tesla Robo-Taxi Fleet. From the article below, there seems to be a business case to do just that... potentially making $10,000+ per year. Personally, I enjoy driving my Teslas too much, but I'm wondering about those who believe it is a money making endevour.

Autonomous Tesla: How Taxi Service Could Earn You $10,000 per Year | Inverse

No for the reason that if a customer were to drop/leave something illegal in the car and I then was pulled over it be a big problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axtrader
I bought a Yukon Denali XL to rent out on Turo a couple years ago before Turo was what it is today (it wasn't even called Turo then - it was Relay Rides). It was wonderful for a while, then I had a horrible experience where a renter absolutely trashed the Denali. She had it three weeks and got in two accidents, destroyed the leather on 2 seats, broke plastic pieces everywhere, stained the carpets, and there was what appeared to be blood and chocolate everywhere. She also went over on the miles by a couple thousand, and she refused to turn the car back over to me after the rental.

Worse yet, dealing with Turo to get the damage covered was a nightmare and took months to complete. Still worse yet, when I was traveling to SFO and went to rent a car on Turo, I WAS BLACKLISTED FROM THEIR SERVICE BECAUSE OF THE CLAIM FOR DAMAGE THAT WAS DONE TO MY VEHICLE BY SOMEONE ELSE!! That took months to sort out, and I've rented from Turo twice since then. Both of those experiences were a disaster as well, so it's safe to say I basically hate them as a company.

I also used to Airbnb a place of mine back in the day and had 95% great experiences, but the bad ones were so bad it made me never want to do it again. The reason for my long story is that everything can go well for a long time, but once you have a bad experience with strangers in your car you will regret it. If Tesla can do a better job than Turo and Airbnb (Airbnb was actually pretty decent) at weeding out bad actors and rectifying situations...and if you're ok with looking at your car as a business not a personal asset...I think it could work for some people. But don't kid yourself, someone eventually will do something to or in your car that will make you hate humanity for a while, so if you can't handle the thought of that this program is not for you. (And it isn't for me unless I committed a car to it for purely business use)

Yes. I ordered a Model Y. So my current Model 3 will be on the Tesla Network and making me back some cash. I would be happy with 25 to 30% ROI. Car is depreciating asset, so why not make some cash. I would be even happier if this all plays out and I recover ALL my cost for the Model 3. Then its "like" a Free Car.

I bought a Yukon Denali XL to rent out on Turo a couple years ago before Turo was what it is today (it wasn't even called Turo then - it was Relay Rides). It was wonderful for a while, then I had a horrible experience where a renter absolutely trashed the Denali. She had it three weeks and got in two accidents, destroyed the leather on 2 seats, broke plastic pieces everywhere, stained the carpets, and there was what appeared to be blood and chocolate everywhere. She also went over on the miles by a couple thousand, and she refused to turn the car back over to me after the rental.

Worse yet, dealing with Turo to get the damage covered was a nightmare and took months to complete. Still worse yet, when I was traveling to SFO and went to rent a car on Turo, I WAS BLACKLISTED FROM THEIR SERVICE BECAUSE OF THE CLAIM FOR DAMAGE THAT WAS DONE TO MY VEHICLE BY SOMEONE ELSE!! That took months to sort out, and I've rented from Turo twice since then. Both of those experiences were a disaster as well, so it's safe to say I basically hate them as a company.

I also used to Airbnb a place of mine back in the day and had 95% great experiences, but the bad ones were so bad it made me never want to do it again. The reason for my long story is that everything can go well for a long time, but once you have a bad experience with strangers in your car you will regret it. If Tesla can do a better job than Turo and Airbnb (Airbnb was actually pretty decent) at weeding out bad actors and rectifying situations...and if you're ok with looking at your car as a business not a personal asset...I think it could work for some people. But don't kid yourself, someone eventually will do something to or in your car that will make you hate humanity for a while, so if you can't handle the thought of that this program is not for you. (And it isn't for me unless I committed a car to it for purely business use)

THIS is exactly why I’m concerned about the Tesla Network. The potential for an amazing and world-changing service is absolutely there, but Tesla’s constrained resources make me think that there will be far too many potholes in the road. You need a veritable army to do this right, providing a seamless experience for both riders and owners and giving everyone the personal protections they expect (and this is separate and apart from getting FSD to work reliably!).
Look at how large Uber and Lyft and Airbnb are - you would need a similarly sized division within Tesla to do this with any success. Otherwise it will remain a poorly functioning and underutilized parlor trick, kind of like Autopark.

Maybe. I have a P3D and it's my "fun" car (and only car I guess) I take it to the track here and there etc. If this was available tomorrow I'd say no, but in 3 years when it's no longer new but still mechanically sound? If the number being tossed around at $1 a mile is valid then probably. If it was lucrative I'd put on some cheap tires and use the money to buy a new P3D or maybe a roadster if TSLA stock really gets up there. ;)

Absolutely, as long as it earns 2x my car payment. If that happens I’ll buy another car for myself and then keep adding to the fleet until I have 15-20 cars working the streets. At that point I’ll probably just retire.
I think it's likely that Tesla won't allow multiple vehicles on the platform to keep companies from entering the space.
Its like Airbnb. I don't list my home on that for good reason. It can make people lots of money, but the people making money are the companies that own many of them.

Also in the future I project there will be a clear separation between personally owned and autonomous vs. company owned and autonomous.

Also, why would Tesla allow you to make all the profit? Its like Tesla vs. dealerships, Tesla wants to keep the profits.

also... my white seats. so no.
I added a long post on that very issue in the investor's forum today. For that matter, if the business is that lucrative, why would they even sell cars anymore? Just build cars to use as ride shares.

40k SR = 5k profit let's say
Or keep the SR for a robo taxi and make 100k profit. Why would Tesla opt for the first? Or perhaps they will sell the SR, but FSD will be 40k.

I’ve done 4000 Uber/Lyft rides as a driver, the answer is no.

It isn’t even because there are far too many jerks, it is because a lot of people treat a car like an appliance. Zero thought as to the messes or odors they leave behind. Good luck getting a timely payout if they mess your car up too, and when you do it will be a cleaning fee which rarely makes you whole.

I’ve done 4000 Uber/Lyft rides as a driver, the answer is no.

It isn’t even because there are far too many jerks, it is because a lot of people treat a car like an appliance. Zero thought as to the messes or odors they leave behind. Good luck getting a timely payout if they mess your car up too, and when you do it will be a cleaning fee which rarely makes you whole.
Interesting. I recall reading a story on a guy who loved it when passengers made big messes because he cleaned it himself and pocketed the 200 fee. (I'm sure that's an extreme example)

I think the opportunity cost is a big difference here either way. The barrier to make a profit on my car while I'm at work or home is far lower than if I had to drive it around and deal with drunken idiots.

Reactions: APotatoGod