Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you like to be a rear facing seat passenger in sunny weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can always have it tinted in the aftermarket.

I had many rides in the rear-facing seats in a Buick Roadmaster station wagon back in the day. And this was in Oklahoma so it was HOT back there. I survived but would have loved A/C vents back there.
I spent a fair amount of my childhood rolling around in the back of a VW hatchback with the family dog. IT WAS FUN!! The jumpseats in the Model S look like a bit of fun, but not something for long trips. The temporary shade things would do fine in the rear window too, since the view is better via the camera or side mirrors.

It would seem a bit odd to me that if the rear window truely did have the same heasistant/reflective qualities as the pano, why aren't both tinted? Or, why are both not?

tinting = a color that absorbs visible light. The glass looks darker.
special IR coating = a color that absorbs or reflects infrared light. The effect is not directly visible to the human eye.

At the Seattle Get Amped test drive event we asked about this.
* IF you order your car with the rear facing seats you also get a heavily UV protected rear window to prevent cooking the kids. If you don't order the rear facing seats, you get a regular window without extra UV protection.
* You CAN have the seats installed later but it will cost more than $1500 because there will be an installation charge as well. It's not just a pop-in thing. AND you won't get that extra UV protection (unless, I imagine, you also purchase a new rear window.)

It seems like the UV protection would be nice generally for keeping the car cooler on sunny days.

Thanks for that information inkynote.

I originally put my order in without the rear seats. After realizing that my youngest son, 6 years old, loves sitting in the third row of seats in our SUV, and that $1,500 was affordable to my family, I called Tesla to change my MPVA. So I added the seats at the very last moment. My Tesla rep basically said he had to rush the order in to the factory, but it would get done. Knowing there is extra UV protection (I live in a very sunny place) makes me feel better about my decision.

I originally put my order in without the rear seats. After realizing that my youngest son, 6 years old, loves sitting in the third row of seats in our SUV, and that $1,500 was affordable to my family, I called Tesla to change my MPVA. So I added the seats at the very last moment. My Tesla rep basically said he had to rush the order in to the factory, but it would get done. Knowing there is extra UV protection (I live in a very sunny place) makes me feel better about my decision.

What number is your Model S if they had to rush the order in?

At the Seattle Get Amped test drive event we asked about this.
* IF you order your car with the rear facing seats you also get a heavily UV protected rear window to prevent cooking the kids. If you don't order the rear facing seats, you get a regular window without extra UV protection.
* You CAN have the seats installed later but it will cost more than $1500 because there will be an installation charge as well. It's not just a pop-in thing. AND you won't get that extra UV protection (unless, I imagine, you also purchase a new rear window.)

It seems like the UV protection would be nice generally for keeping the car cooler on sunny days.

Thanks! This has definitely been on my mind. We WILL be taking road trips (hopefully one in October, but only if my Tesla arrives), and with I kids they have to sit back there. I was already thinking about temporary shades, but maybe sunglasses and hats are good enough if the heat isn't too bad.

@NigelM - :)

Walter Franck said:
The rear lift gate glass is a 2-ply laminated safety glass. On Model S, instead of using a standard piece of vinyl in between the 2 pieces of glass, we use a solar absorbing vinyl that has identical performance to a solar reflective film which does provide UV protection. All Model S will have this glass, regardless of the rear facing child seat option.

Originally Posted by Jkam

What number is your Model S if they had to rush the order in?

My number is S#69. I had an update from a Tesla rep. Two days ago, the factory wanted verification of the addition of the 3rd row seats. Tesla rep said that implies that it is in production!

The next question I have is how long does it take to produce a car? I know there have been rumors that they are making one a day, but how may days does it take to build a car?

Thanks! This has definitely been on my mind. We WILL be taking road trips (hopefully one in October, but only if my Tesla arrives), and with I kids they have to sit back there. I was already thinking about temporary shades, but maybe sunglasses and hats are good enough if the heat isn't too bad.

Regardless of UV protection, you'll want to avoid driving west in morning and east in the evening if at all possible, because that will put the sun directly in their eyes.

With four kids including two munchkins, the rear-facing seats will be in use with our S. We currently use similar seats in our Mercedes E350 Wagon. It DOES get warm back there in the Texas summers during the day, and it would be nice if there were an extra air vent for them. Perhaps the air flow in the S will be a little better.

We shove them in regardless, and feed them the line from Friedrich Nietzsche and Kelly Clarkson: What doesn't kill you make you stronger. :)

Andy