Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been around fast cars long enough to know that people just crave more and more power, even when they are 10 seconds off the pace on a track day for the car they already have. Drag racing too is a hobby where more power is always welcome. But for a road/street car there is always a diminishing return on what power you can safely utilise. Obviously you just crave maximum straight line acceleration, which is fine. More power in a 3P isn’t going to make you any faster through the corners. That was my point really.

The part about power being linked to battery capacity and therefore weight is the exact reason I’m not wishing for any more power in this car. I would prefer less weight because I know that will inherently make it a better handling car. If I lived somewhere with straight roads and lights every quarter mile I might think differently, lol.

That's the funny thing. People rag all day long on Tesla for being heavy, when they're comparing a 4200 lbs ICE to a 4500 Tesla. But then talk about how great the handling is on the 5222 lb heavy Porsche Taycan. The same people.

Reactions: Gasaraki and Phlier
This. Make the materials and build quality on par of $90-100k car then we can reconsider it.
I completely agree, but I also think that Tesla has done a pretty good job with the minimalist interior of the Model 3. While the center console feels like they used really cheap and easily broken plastic, the rest of the interior feels pretty nice, really. They pulled off the vegan leather pretty well. And my broken down back really approves of the seat comfort level.

But yeah... if they were to produce a Plaid(+) Model 3 Performance, the quality of the interior should match the price tag for sure.

I completely agree, but I also think that Tesla has done a pretty good job with the minimalist interior of the Model 3. While the center console feels like they used really cheap and easily broken plastic, the rest of the interior feels pretty nice, really. They pulled off the vegan leather pretty well. And my broken down back really approves of the seat comfort level.

But yeah... if they were to produce a Plaid(+) Model 3 Performance, the quality of the interior should match the price tag for sure.

My view of the Model 3 interior is much the same. I think it's all great except for the slightly disappointing plastic finish on the new console. But overall the materials are way better than any $30k car I've owned! I think it's actually right up there with the best in its own price range in terms of materials and the minimalist style is outstanding, especially with white/black interior.

That's the funny thing. People rag all day long on Tesla for being heavy, when they're comparing a 4200 lbs ICE to a 4500 Tesla. But then talk about how great the handling is on the 5222 lb heavy Porsche Taycan. The same people.

I'm with you on the Taycan, it's pig heavy and it shows on track videos I've seen. There's a reason why Porsche are reluctant to make an EV 911 at this point. They've even stated that they can't do it yet at the weight they would consider acceptable. The Taycan is more of a Panamera alternative, a fast luxury grand tourer. Even heavier than a Model S.

I'm certainly not suggesting the Tesla 3 is heavy relative to other EVs, quite the contrary. But I'm sticking with my craving for a lightweight version for fast road/track use, rather than even more power and range. EVs are still heavy compared to ICE, but the gap is coming down and may soon swing the other way with the right compromises i.e. weight vs power/range. I do get that some people need/want a 500+ mile range and that also brings big power with it. But I would also like to see a lighter 300 mile version with 500 ish hp.

I put forward a similar argument for the new Roadster. I don't care about a 200 mph top end or the range. Just gear it for 160 mph with a 300 mile range at a more competitive weight. Do you know what the Roadster prototypes actually weigh? I never did get an answer for that

Reactions: TMThree
I put forward a similar argument for the new Roadster. I don't care about a 200 mph top end or the range. Just gear it for 160 mph with a 300 mile range at a more competitive weight. Do you know what the Roadster prototypes actually weigh? I never did get an answer for that

500 mile range, it's got to have 120+ kwh battery. I don't think the car needs 500 mile range, that's more of the result of adding enough cells for the power draw it needs to have the acceleration numbers they want.

Reactions: EVDRVN
Me too!

When did you get your order in?

I ordered the AWD CT the day after the reveal (AWD). But later I went back and ordered 4 more CT's, one in each config I thought I might want. I wasn't sure at the time which one I'd want in a few years time....

I went back a few months ago and cancelled all reservations other than the AWD and the Tri. I decided FSD will never be something I want for that price point (I don't mind driving and AP is fine enough on its own for highway).

I've got the cash for the tri and will want to tow, so the AWD is backup in case something unexpected changes and I don't want to tow.

I bought a model 3 seat off ebay for $400 delivered. Vehicle had very low miles, 12000 or something. This was passenger seat with no wear that I could see. After removing the airbag, I wired it up and mounted it on an ikea foot stool. I later changed the foot stool to a black version. It's a bit weird but its comfortable and reclines.

tesla-chair.jpg

While I can afford the upcoming Plaid Model S, I will not be getting one because the S is simply too big/bulky (for my taste) and certainly not as fun to drive around as my Model 3. Yes, I’ve driven the current generation Model S.
Of course, the brute power and acceleration of a Plaid S is very very appealing/tempting.

For me, the holy grail would be a Model 3 Plaid that can do 0-60 in 2.3 sec or less. This should be possible with a dual motor drivetrain (because the previously available dual motor Model S Performance trim advertised a 2.5 sec 0-60 time... I think). Of course, I would gladly take and pay whatever Tesla wants to charge for a Plaid tri-motor Model 3.

What say you, TMC community? Would you be willing to shell out $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3? I definitely would...

90k is too much.

If the car was fully specced inside like the Model S (could do without the back screen), 360 camera, heated cooled seats, etc, etc maybe 80k.

I 100% agree with the OP.

My mother in law has a P100DL Model S and I loathe driving it. Getting back into my boosted AWD 3 is such a joy. I have a deposit on a Plaid+ Model S just in case somehow they can make it fun to drive. If not there is only one thing that is essentially a Plaid Model 3, the Roadster. The Model 3 is pure joy to drive. Much more so than any Z06 I’ve had or any JCW mini cooper I’ve had. I couldn’t possibly “upgrade” to a faster technically superior car that wasn’t as much fun to drive. What’s the point. I hope for the sake of my TSLA shares the Plaid+ is fun to drive. If not, Roadster it is. :)

That said, yes, I still hope they come out with a sick “M3 CSL” version of the Model 3. I’d probably take that over the Roadster.

90k is too much.

If the car was fully specced inside like the Model S (could do without the back screen), 360 camera, heated cooled seats, etc, etc maybe 80k.

I certainly cannot argue with your viewpoint/reasoning. However, the reason why I think a Plaid Model 3 (with the performance numbers I suggested) should be more like $90 or perhaps even higher is... the current base Model S starts at $80K and has these “lowly” performance numbers: 0-60 in 3.1 sec, top speed of 155 mph. So for me, an ultra top tier Plaid Model 3 that can do 0-60 in 2.3 sec or less should be priced higher than the current base Model S.

Also keep in mind that the current Performance Model 3 trim has a top end speed of 162 mph, which is already faster than the current $80K Model S. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that a Plaid 3 will have a significantly higher top end speed than the 162 mph found in the current Performance trim. Finally, for those who value range, I would expect a Plaid 3 (especially if it uses the newer battery cells) to get close to or perhaps even higher than the 412 mile range found in the current base $80K Model S.

Yes, the Model S may still have a more premium interior than a Plaid Model 3. However, for the performance minded buyer like me (to which a Plaid 3 would be targeted/intended), the tremendous bump in acceleration, top end speed and range that would surely come with a Plaid 3 more than justifies a higher price tag than the current base Model S at $80K.

Obviously, not everyone agrees with this and that’s OK. For those folks, the less expensive Performance or standard Long Range 3 should continue to be available to satisfy/capture that type of buyer.
So....
-Standard Long Range 3
-Performance 3
-Plaid 3
Everyone is happy!!

My mother in law has a P100DL Model S and I loathe driving it. Getting back into my boosted AWD 3 is such a joy. I have a deposit on a Plaid+ Model S just in case somehow they can make it fun to drive. If not there is only one thing that is essentially a Plaid Model 3, the Roadster. The Model 3 is pure joy to drive. Much more so than any Z06 I’ve had or any JCW mini cooper I’ve had. I couldn’t possibly “upgrade” to a faster technically superior car that wasn’t as much fun to drive. What’s the point. I hope for the sake of my TSLA shares the Plaid+ is fun to drive. If not, Roadster it is. :)

That said, yes, I still hope they come out with a sick “M3 CSL” version of the Model 3. I’d probably take that over the Roadster.

I'm right there with you. Either Plaid S+ will have to do, if not then the Roadster. But if a sick version of the 3 comes out - I'm goin all for that.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
500 mile range, it's got to have 120+ kwh battery. I don't think the car needs 500 mile range, that's more of the result of adding enough cells for the power draw it needs to have the acceleration numbers they want.

If it weighed less then it wouldn’t need quite so much power to accelerate and it is probably traction limited anyway for much of the 0-60 dash. I think it’s the headline halo top end speed they are really chasing, which you will never experience unless you go to a super long airfield.

Why do you think the 3 is more fun to drive than the Ludicrous S?

Why do you think the 3 is more fun to drive than the Ludicrous S?

Have you driven the current Performance/Ludicrous Model S? While it is super-fast in a straight line acceleration, it feels much less nimble/responsive than a Model 3, even during routine pedestrian driving on regular roads. That is due to its large size & weight. Take that Ludicrous Model S on a more spirited drive with some twisties/corners or to a track/road course, and that is where you’ll really notice the difference between the handling of the Model S versus the Model 3. That is why many folks feel the Model 3 is much more fun to drive (both around town and on the track or road course) than any Model S that is currently in production. Perhaps Tesla will make the upcoming Plaid+ Model S more fun to drive with its reported reduced weight and perhaps a different type of suspension. That is what @phantasms and others who have pre-ordered the Plaid+ Model S are hoping for...

Last edited:
Have you driven the current Performance/Ludicrous Model S? While it is super-fast in a straight line acceleration, it feels much less nimble/responsive than a Model 3, even during routine pedestrian driving on regular roads. That is due to it’s large size & weight. Take that Ludicrous Model S on a more spirited drive with some twisties/corners or to a track/road course, and that is where you’ll really notice the difference between the handling of the Model S versus the Model 3. That is why many folks feel the Model 3 is much more fun to drive (both around town and on the track or road course) than any Model S that is currently in production. Perhaps Tesla will make the upcoming Plaid+ Model S more fun to drive with its reported reduced weight and perhaps a different type of suspension. That is what @phantasms and others who have pre-ordered the Plaid+ Model S are hoping for...

Bingo! The 3P is about 400 kg lighter and that makes a world of difference to the handling. I can imagine the Plaid S being a little lighter than the P100DL, but not the Plaid+. This is my biggest issue with chasing more and more power. The new base S will probably be most fun to drive away from a drag strip, as it should be considerably lighter and still damn fast in a straight line.

I’ve driven the MS 100DL and MS 75D (and both the X equivalents) and preferred the 75D versions on our local twisty roads. Weight saving I think was around 150 kg or maybe a little less. But easily enough to notice under braking and turn in. The Model 3 is night and day better to drive fast on a good road. Any version. A bit of fun here in a bog standard SR+

Last edited:
Have you driven the current Performance/Ludicrous Model S? While it is super-fast in a straight line acceleration, it feels much less nimble/responsive than a Model 3, even during routine pedestrian driving on regular roads.

Yup.

I had a P100D for a 24 hour test drive before taking delivery of my 3 and it reinforced the 3 was the right choice... outside of straight-line 0-60 it was like piloting a giant land yacht compared to the 3. Also sucked in tight/urban parking lots.

If I ever drop 6 figures on a Tesla it'll have to be a 2nd gen roadster- the S is just too damn big/heavy.

Yup.

I had a P100D for a 24 hour test drive before taking delivery of my 3 and it reinforced the 3 was the right choice... outside of straight-line 0-60 it was like piloting a giant land yacht compared to the 3. Also sucked in tight/urban parking lots.

If I ever drop 6 figures on a Tesla it'll have to be a 2nd gen roadster- the S is just too damn big/heavy.

I’m worried that the new Roadster will be heavy too with the power/range spec. I’m not putting down a deposit until I know what it will weigh. While everyone was gushing over its straight line performance and range, there was no mention whatsoever of weight. If it ends up over 2000 kg, which I suspect it will, then I’m out.