Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you rock solid/flat/smooth wheels for more range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do. I had custom made solid disks on my Model for about 5000 miles. They make a significant difference. The effect is entire aerodynamic, so the faster you go, the more the positive effectiveness. On a road trip from Los Angeles to Minneapolis it gave me about 8-9% better range/lower energy consumption and thus saved me time on charging as well. In city driving (at lower speeds) the effect is much less.

I actually got a lot of positive feedback from people about the look. I really wish Tesla would offer simple attachable disks or true disk rims for those who want it. It's funny for people are so concerns about range loss and are willing to pay a lot of money for a slightly larger battery, but this solution would give you more range for a very small cost.

View attachment 201010
OH...that is really ugly. The car will get 200+ miles per charge as it is.....If I need more, then I will take my ICE car. Destroying the look of the M3 for the sake of mileage is just wrong.

I think you need rotors/calipers that are that big to stop that heavy of a car in a reasonable distance. They didn't put them on just for the heck of it.

I never said they weren't needed. The Model S has HP to spare and weight to boot. You want good brakes. I consider them insanely large because I'm not used to buying cars with 400+ HP.

I'm just saying I want the Model 3 to not be setup with the same performance at any cost attitude.

The 60 kWh Model S with the base trim can't sport anything less than 19" wheels. Just the slightest change in rotors/calipers might allow 18" but might also need a speed govener change to keep someone from over driving the reduced braking power.

Tesla took the shortcut of designing the Model S/X brakes as one size fits all for the regular/P/D trims. With the higher volumes in the Model 3 they could have smaller brake components on the base trim and beefier brakes on the P trim and/or the higher battery capacity configuration.

Even if they don't do dual brake options the 3 is going to be smaller/lighter than the S so it should be able to step down a couple of wheel sizes. I'm just asking that they do what they can to get it to one notch lower wheel size on the base trim and not just bump it up to make the "bigger is better" crowd happy.

I never said they weren't needed. The Model S has HP to spare and weight to boot. You want good brakes. I consider them insanely large because I'm not used to buying cars with 400+ HP.

I'm just saying I want the Model 3 to not be setup with the same performance at any cost attitude.

The 60 kWh Model S with the base trim can't sport anything less than 19" wheels. Just the slightest change in rotors/calipers might allow 18" but might also need a speed govener change to keep someone from over driving the reduced braking power.

Tesla took the shortcut of designing the Model S/X brakes as one size fits all for the regular/P/D trims. With the higher volumes in the Model 3 they could have smaller brake components on the base trim and beefier brakes on the P trim and/or the higher battery capacity configuration.

Even if they don't do dual brake options the 3 is going to be smaller/lighter than the S so it should be able to step down a couple of wheel sizes. I'm just asking that they do what they can to get it to one notch lower wheel size on the base trim and not just bump it up to make the "bigger is better" crowd happy.
I doubt the 3 will be that much lighter than the MS. Yes, it's physically smaller, but it's also made of steel, so the weight difference won't be huge.

You have to understand, that to someone with Elon Musk's strong focus on safety, this would sound like saying, "Oh, there is no need for airbags or three point seat belts in the lower trims. They'll be fine with lap belts alone. If someone wants that 'performance' oriented stuff, they can buy it in the higher end versions."

Dude.

Brakes are emergency equipment. Large disc brakes with ABS and Traction Control are there for a very good reason. Someone can go to a third party if they want cross-drilled carbon fibre brakes. Elon is a guy who decided that Autopilot hardware would be on every car they built starting two years ago. He also decided that from this point forward, Autonomous hardware would be on every car they build. It is simply [IMPROPER] to expect he would put drum brakes and steel wheels on the Model ☰ just to save you money on 185 60R/14 tires. He'd rather save your LIFE instead, and thinks that's a better investment.

He'd rather save your LIFE instead, and thinks that's a better investment.
Disc brakes can be put on 15, 16 and 17 inch wheels too. I know, since they have been in my driveway over the years.

I support a compromise that does not sacrifice safety but keeps efficiency in mind. I promise to not floor both pedals at the same time. I may need to be corrected, I remember that current tech tyres can decelerate up to somewhere in the 1.0 - 1.2G range before they lose traction. To me, more braking power than that is bling that I do not want.

Last edited:
Disc brakes can be put on 15, 16 and 17 inch wheels too. I know, since they have been in my driveway over the years.

I support a compromise that does not sacrifice safety but keeps efficiency in mind. I promise to not floor both pedals at the same time. I may need to be corrected, I remember that current tech tyres can decelerate up to somewhere in the 1.0 - 1.2G range before they lose traction. To me, more braking power than that is bling that I do not want.
Yeah, but maximum stoppage equals maximum safety. Besides, surely you noted my tongue was firmly in cheek upon the mention of drum brakes and steel wheels (and 14" tires -- C'mon, MAN!)? I think GM toyed around with a version of ABS that used some type of hybrid drum brakes once -- and they broke. I'm pretty sure that since ABS is now a required safety feature, it is unlikely that Tesla would allow drum brakes on their cars, even if they did deign to produce a less performance oriented version of their cars. Remember, the electric braking system they use currently (since Autopilot was introduced) is a fundamental component of the Autopilot system. Better that all the disc brakes are the same size on all cars so that the system can be programmed properly to use them to best effect. It is also better from the point of inventory control both at Service Centers as well as at Fremont to not have to put the eensy weensy teeny tiny itsy bitsy disc brakes on any of their shelves, 'just in case', they get one of 'those people', that wanted to use 175/80R13 tires. Those can go on the Toyota Yaris Electric in 2020.

I do. I had custom made solid disks on my Model for about 5000 miles. They make a significant difference. The effect is entire aerodynamic, so the faster you go, the more the positive effectiveness. On a road trip from Los Angeles to Minneapolis it gave me about 8-9% better range/lower energy consumption and thus saved me time on charging as well. In city driving (at lower speeds) the effect is much less.

I actually got a lot of positive feedback from people about the look. I really wish Tesla would offer simple attachable disks or true disk rims for those who want it. It's funny for people are so concerns about range loss and are willing to pay a lot of money for a slightly larger battery, but this solution would give you more range for a very small cost.

View attachment 201010
Those are awesome. I would rock those if they didn't add any range.

Reactions: David99
Yeah, but maximum stoppage equals maximum safety. Besides, surely you noted my tongue was firmly in cheek upon the mention of drum brakes and steel wheels (and 14" tires -- C'mon, MAN!)? I think GM toyed around with a version of ABS that used some type of hybrid drum brakes once -- and they broke. I'm pretty sure that since ABS is now a required safety feature, it is unlikely that Tesla would allow drum brakes on their cars, even if they did deign to produce a less performance oriented version of their cars. Remember, the electric braking system they use currently (since Autopilot was introduced) is a fundamental component of the Autopilot system. Better that all the disc brakes are the same size on all cars so that the system can be programmed properly to use them to best effect. It is also better from the point of inventory control both at Service Centers as well as at Fremont to not have to put the eensy weensy teeny tiny itsy bitsy disc brakes on any of their shelves, 'just in case', they get one of 'those people', that wanted to use 175/80R13 tires. Those can go on the Toyota Yaris Electric in 2020.

I dare you to push the brake pedal on my Prius or Leaf. You better have your seat belt on.

It turns out that if you use regen braking 95+% of the time in a rainy climate the rotors rust and the rust increases braking power insanely.

I actively have to scrub the rotors multiple times a year because the friction braking is several times stronger than I want it to be. Like if I don't it'll chirp from 6 mph to 2 mph nearly instantaneously with the lightest possible tap of the brakes and loose objects will fly.

But even if you live in an arid region cars tend to have plenty of braking power for normal driving and emergency use. Oversized brakes are for police pursuit cars and track racing.

Seriously, my cars are both between 3200 and 3500 pounds with 15" wheels. Model S is in the 4000 to 5000 pound range depending on the config and 19" wheels. Model 3 should be able to come in between 3500 and 4000 pounds and would be very very safe with 16" wheels and the brakes that could fit inside that envelope. Anything over 16" and it's all about style not safety.

It is simply [IMPROPER] to expect he would put drum brakes and steel wheels on the Model ☰ just to save you money on 185 60R/14 tires. He'd rather save your LIFE instead, and thinks that's a better investment.

That is simply an obnoxious strawman argument. I never said a single word about drum brakes or steel wheels. I also said nothing about 13" or 14" wheels. Tossing out insanely bad components doesn't add anything to the conversation.

In fact if you'll pay attention I specifically mentioned lighter wheels. I expect high quality light alloy wheels and disc brakes all the way around and if you can't stop posting falsehoods I'll just put you on ignore.

Last edited:
Smaller wheels would increase range as well. I do so hope that Model 3 and Y have much smaller calipers so I can run smaller wheels. I'd run 15" if I could but I know that 17" or 18" will be more likely.

I actually had 15" Honda EV wheels machined so the center bore would fit on a Leaf. Switching from heavier 16" wheels to lighter 15" wheels with closed face increased the range a ton (think double digit percentage) because of lighter wheels, lighter tires, narrower tires, better aero and so on.

The lack of common aero wheel options and the insanely large calipers are one of the biggest reasons I'll avoid getting a CPO S instead of a 3 or Y. Though AP2 HW and the HEPA filter are up there on my nice to have list.
I'm in the same boat as you. Smaller wheels are fine by me to reduce cost and even reduce risk of damaging them.

@dhanson865 -- Wow. Not one, but TWO (count 'em!) dislikes for my posts! AWESOME! By the way...? There is an apology below if you look real hard for it.

I dare you to push the brake pedal on my Prius or Leaf. You better have your seat belt on.
I always wear a seat belt. Always. It truly disturbs everyone I know for some reason.

It turns out that if you use regen braking 95+% of the time in a rainy climate the rotors rust and the rust increases braking power insanely.
Point taken.

I actively have to scrub the rotors multiple times a year because the friction braking is several times stronger than I want it to be. Like if I don't it'll chirp from 6 mph to 2 mph nearly instantaneously with the lightest possible tap of the brakes and loose objects will fly.
Gotcha.

But even if you live in an arid region cars tend to have plenty of braking power for normal driving and emergency use. Oversized brakes are for police pursuit cars and track racing.
Or, cars that have far more motor horsepower than a Nissan LEAF. Heck, even a 1990 Honda CR-X Si had 108 HP.

Seriously, my cars are both between 3200 and 3500 pounds with 15" wheels. Model S is in the 4000 to 5000 pound range depending on the config and 19" wheels. Model 3 should be able to come in between 3500 and 4000 pounds and would be very very safe with 16" wheels and the brakes that could fit inside that envelope. Anything over 16" and it's all about style not safety.
I was right with you until that last sentence. There are situations where bigger is better. Apparently you have missed my point, which is that it is the larger diameter brake rotors that eliminate the issue you noted above, about friction braking taking longer than you would prefer. In those situations where Regen is not available, for whatever reason, I'd rather have the largest brake rotors that can fit under the car, no matter the weather.

That is simply an obnoxious strawman argument. I never said a single word about drum brakes or steel wheels. I also said nothing about 13" or 14" wheels. Tossing out insanely bad components doesn't add anything to the conversation.
Apparently you missed the post above, where I admitted to tongue-in-cheek hyperbole earlier. Hmmm... No you didn't. You just didn't read it, even though you quoted it. Wierd.

[FYI... Here comes the apology.]

~*ahem*~ Please note that all my posts on the internet are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired. Due to the limitations of communicating with a keyboard on the internet, sometimes my quirky personal sense of humor is taken a mite bit more seriously than I'd like. Please, pretty please, with sugar on top, go back to my earlier posts and make an attempt to accept that they are posted in good fun, not with malicious intent at all. I do sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding in this regard, and I assure you I was just funnin' and stuff -- though my opinions remain the same, and differ from your own.

In fact if you'll pay attention I specifically mentioned lighter wheels. I expect high quality light alloy wheels and disc brakes all the way around and if you can't stop posting falsehoods I'll just put you on ignore.
Yes. That's why I went on the joke infused tangent. I hoped to induce a chuckle or two. My bad. That's why I went from 14" wheels with 60 profile tires down to 13" wheels with 80s. It was a joke. Honest.

Here, have a cookie:
FN_Simple-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies_s4x3.jpg

[FYI... That was a joke.]