Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, see Trumps Climate and Energy Policy just put up on the White House Site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yeah, just sign up for a 20 year payment plan. I'm sure that's right at the top of the list for low income families. Screw health insurance or groceries. Who are you to tell people what they "should" do anyways?
This is where you are either misinformed, ignorant, or just being difficult. The $ paid to PPA are the same amount that would have been paid to ???? Edison. It's not additional cost. And after end of contract, power becomes free. Do you not know a good deal when you see one?

Besides, health insurance... fuggedaboudit. It's only going stratospheric!

Reactions: Jaff and RichardC
A few years ago so-called climate change deniers claimed with academic posture that temperatures don't rise anymore and have plateaued, or even that there would be the start of a long cooling. They also accused climate scientists of arguing deceivingly when they said that it is just one of the not-so-uncommon temporary weather-related fluctuations, and that temperatures will keep rising long-term.

Now the picture looks like this :

graph.png

Obviously, the climate scientists were correct, and the current cold winter in some places just shows what climate scientists have said all along, that climate change will include temporary extremes and disturbances in all directions.

Actually, the rate of absorption of CO2 by the oceans is tapering off. THE foremost lab that studies this is here in San Deigo, and they occasionally put up some nice blog posts (in addition to excellent pier-reviewed scientific papers). These are the guys that provide the standards for the rest of the world to measure CO2 levels in the ocean.

This one from 2013 is of particular interest:
How Much CO2 Can The Oceans Take Up?

"...starting with the simple one that as one dissolves CO2 into a given volume of seawater, there is a growing resistance to adding still more CO2."

"Human fossil fuel use is also behind a general warming trend in the oceans observed over the past 50 years that increases the resistance to CO2 uptake."

"Furthermore, in the absence of such warming, ocean mixing would normally be expected to be constantly refreshing the water at the ocean’s surface, the place where it meets with air and dissolves CO2. Instead global warming leaves surface water in place to an increasing degree thus slowing down the transfer of CO2 from the ocean surface deeper into the ocean."

The really scary thing is that long after we curb our CO2 emissions back to say even 1980 levels, the Ocean and land masses will keep releasing what they have stored up from the beginning of the industrial revolution to keep levels high.

They cover this phenomenon in this shorter blog post:
Why Has a Drop in Global CO2 Emissions Not Caused CO2 Levels in the Atmosphere to Stabilize?

"Eventually, additional emissions cuts would be required because the sinks will slowly lose their efficiency as the land and ocean start to saturate. A permanent stabilization at current levels therefore requires both an immediate 50-percent cut as well as a slow tapering thereafter, eventually approaching zero emissions. The recent stabilization in emissions might be viewed as a very small first step toward the required cuts."
Help me out here, because I'm having a hard time following. You started off by saying that the oceans were off gassing CO2 (posts 114, 121, 124). At least net-net. But then you started to say that we're releasing it into the atmosphere faster than it's being taken in, a completely different proposition (129). That means it's still absorbing but we're outproducing it's ability. Then, finally, you seem to agree with @nwdiver in saying that the ocean's ability is tapering (131, quoted above).

I may be misinterpreting or misunderstanding your posts. But given that you showed up with your badge around your neck and denigrated one of our members, I'd be interested in hearing either an apology and retraction, or an explanation of why I'm being a bit dense about the seeming fluidity of your posts.

Well, I'll just point out that you have misinterpreted this quote. "Buffering", or "Buffer", refers to alkalinity resisting acidification. If the buffering is overwhelmed, that means it isn't fighting the acidification.

That's exactly what I'm saying. It is not fighting the acidification as it was previously, for reasons already mentioned. There was no mis-interpretation of the quote at all.

This might be funny if Donald Trump's father had not been arrested at a KKK rally in Queens in 1927, although he was released. It was real factual, not alternative anything.
In 1927, Donald Trump’s father was arrested after a Klan riot in Queens

A 21 year old who was detained then released without charge at a Memorial Day Parade where a Fascist vs Anti-Fascist altercation occurred 90 years ago was a KKK member named Fred Trump who would later have a son who is now the President?

Or am I not spinning it for the correct hemisphere?

A 21 year old who was detained then released without charge at a Memorial Day Parade where a Fascist vs Anti-Fascist altercation occurred 90 years ago was a KKK member named Fred Trump who would later have a son who is now the President?

Or am I not spinning it for the correct hemisphere?
Maybe not. From the actual information presented back in 1927 it is unclear where Fred Trump was or was not a member. The only thing that happened is that he was arrested at a KKK rally, booked, then soon after, released. There is much more data about his activities in renting apartments, mostly in Queens.

None of that is related to President Trump's energy policy nor his repudiation of climate science. Those are dismal enough without adding to the fire.

Oh yeah, just sign up for a 20 year payment plan. I'm sure that's right at the top of the list for low income families. Screw health insurance or groceries. Who are you to tell people what they "should" do anyways?
People like this are just pissed off and therefore not open to changing their mind right now, and that's fine. The anger comes from a perfectly honest annoyance with the direction of the country, the current lack of opportunity and annoying condensation from the left. Fair enough.

When the idea of being paid by SolarCity to remove your family's entire carbon footprint for 20 years seems like a hard sell, there's a lot more going on than just working through the pros & cons.

I think shooting for energy independence on the back of fracking is relatively OK. We're already doing it anyway. So long as some consumer protection deals are brokered at the federal level with regard to solar homeowner's rights, we'll be fine. Hell, we might even end up better off if the right negotiation takes place. Trump DOES DEALS.

Arguing what people should do is silly, just give them the info and the opportunity. If they want to ignore the savings of solar, feel free. Someone in the market will ALWAYS pick up that dropped opportunity so long as they have some reliable protection.

And this: Trump Puts Keystone XL, Dakota Access Pipelines Back on Table

Trump Puts Keystone XL, Dakota Access Pipelines Back on Table

WASHINGTON— President Trump signed executive orders today to push ahead with the controversial Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines. Both projects sparked widespread opposition and protests, especially because of their risks to water, wildlife, climate and people.

“Donald Trump is wasting no time in digging up two of the worst oil industry projects in the past decade and trying to rush them out the door,” said Kierán Suckling, executive director of the Center for Biological Diversity. “If it wasn’t clear before that Trump is acting at the behest of the oil industry, it certainly is now.”

Keystone XL would stretch across hundreds of miles and carry up to 35 million gallons of oil every day from Canada’s tar sands — one of the dirtiest energy sources in the world — to refineries in Texas. Most of it would be exported.

Reactions: jbcarioca
People like this are just pissed off and therefore not open to changing their mind right now, and that's fine. The anger comes from a perfectly honest annoyance with the direction of the country, the current lack of opportunity and annoying condensation from the left. Fair enough.

The issue is that they're not addressing the real problems. They think they need to 'bring manufacturing back to the US'.

mfg1.jpg

US MANUFACTURING OUTPUT IS HIGHER THAN IT HAS EVER BEEN!!!

Automation is the real cause of job loss. Not trade or immigration... but that doesn't fit their narrative.

The only real solutions are more social programs or outlawing automation... but that doesn't fit their narrative.

'Alternative Facts' are funny... until you try to use them to craft policy... then it's just stupid and tragic.

Last edited:
There appears to be an effort to muzzle science, and propagate 'alternative' facts. I'm all for reduction in regulation and smaller government, but science is core... and needed to stay ahead among nations, and science happens by sharing and advancing each others' work. Attempting to muzzle science and press? Yikes!! Kill climate change regulations, we can reinstitute or fight by state. But muzzle science??? Shoot yourself in the foot. Join ISIS in the cave they so desperately want to return to.