Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wow tesla really sucks on getting parts!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a serious cash problem and has NEVER kept a healthy stock of parts - this helps them conserve cash. It's been a long standing problem that almost certainly isn't due to incompetence but rather is a deliberate choice to shift the burden of carrying parts inventory off of Tesla and onto Customers. Quite literally Tesla makes customers prepay (or at least order parts), wait until a sufficient number of orders are in, and then Tesla places the order with the supplier. It's the customers that bear the pain and waiting time and Tesla has certainty of turning it's parts inventory over immediately (thus using no cash for parts needs). It's a short-term finance move that will inevitably cost Tesla far more in future sales. I believe it is a necessary choice they must make to survive now that will cost them dearly later.

I'm just as affected and frustrated, but it's their cash play to not spend their capital on parts inventory.

A red-light runner slammed into my 85D's passenger door last November. The Tesla-recommended body shop's customer service person, before seeing the car, estimated three months for repair, most of that time waiting for parts. It was completed in three months and one week. All of the actual work was done in the last 2-3 weeks. (Total repair cost: $40,000.)

My completely uninformed hypothesis: small manufacturers like Tesla just can't afford to keep a parts inventory sufficient to "quickly" supply owners.

On the other hand, I walked away from the accident without a scratch, although my hearing was adversely affected.

Accident.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: David99
When we purchased our Model S I expected this repair scenario of it being almost an exotic car. The materials, the unique drive system and the vast array of computing all add risk of longer repair times. To mitigate this risk we kept our older BMW with X Drive and good snow tires as a 'winter beater' to delay corrosion of the Model S from brine used on the roads and from bad drivers who see winter driving as a bumper car amusement ride. Besides, a high mileage BMW was worth very little on the market so we kept it knowing that the fuel consumed would be minimal each year.

So far this has been a good self insurance approach. The Tesla stays in the garage for a couple of months in the winter when we don't drive much anyway and if it needed to be in a shop for repair we have a familiar back up vehicle ready to go. Our solar array output is banked in the grid for use after the snow has melted so no loss there either. Our Model S is our daily driver for 10 months each year and eventually it we be our only vehicle. That's the plan.

This approach may not be for everyone but during this transition to EVs it is my way of mitigating risk.

I was to have a replacement front valance damaged between car being serviced for pick up to pick up time. I picked the car up in Fremont and they said I could refuse the vehicle or I could take it. I took it and the car part was ordered. I picked up the vehicle May 12th. I had a service appointment June 21st not all parts were received by the appointment time. Was told to be received June 21st or latest June 25th. Checked on 26th and still no word getting replacement parts.

I actually purchased used front valance but they refused to install at service appointment due to the part being used. Still no word as of this morning.

I think this will be something that will slowly get better over the next couple years as production increases. I leased some limited production cars from BMW and if you think Tesla is bad with getting parts..... It took BMW 7 months to get parts, then another 4-5 weeks to make the repair after a very minor accident.

It's a tired subject. That said, I've certainly been on the receiving end of the slow parts delivery (over 3.5 months for broken side windows). It just goes with the territory of having a cutting edge, kind of exotic vehicle from a car company that is still new in its life cycle. I'm confident Tesla will figure it out over time. Until then, people can't (realistically) expect Tesla to both be on the cutting edge of automotive innovation *and* have the staid reliability of something like a Toyota Camry that has been around for decades.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Barry
A red-light runner slammed into my 85D's passenger door last November. The Tesla-recommended body shop's customer service person, before seeing the car, estimated three months for repair, most of that time waiting for parts. It was completed in three months and one week. All of the actual work was done in the last 2-3 weeks. (Total repair cost: $40,000.)

My completely uninformed hypothesis: small manufacturers like Tesla just can't afford to keep a parts inventory sufficient to "quickly" supply owners.

On the other hand, I walked away from the accident without a scratch, although my hearing was adversely affected.

View attachment 313658
40k? wow...could have bought a model 3 with that...seems silly to put that much into the car that was already a 90k car or so. wow!!!....no frame/battery damage? Seems crazy.

I think this will be something that will slowly get better over the next couple years as production increases. I leased some limited production cars from BMW and if you think Tesla is bad with getting parts..... It took BMW 7 months to get parts, then another 4-5 weeks to make the repair after a very minor accident.
I dont know. When 1st got the car in 2017-april service centers answered phones and we had techs and service guys phone numbers to text with.Now they go thru workers like crazy and you get some corperate place in cali or where ever and dont really want to give you transfered to the service center. When they do transfer you the service center never picks up or returns messages.

We tested this by going to the SC and calling tesla and they transfered us over and the guys never answered the phones and there were like 10 guys standing around.
Bottom line just go to the service center if you want answers and have issues.Its unreal how poor its gotten. With the 3 coming out it will likely be much worse.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffpaul