Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Writing on Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I’ve woken up this morning and the misses has mentioned that there looked to be some writing on the car windscreen (top right if you’re looking from the front). I’ve been out and it appears to say C17 as if it’s been written on while the windscreen was a bit frosted over.

I clean the car a fair amount and I’ve never seen this before so I don’t think it’s a marking from when it’s been transported etc. but I could be wrong. I’ve also checked from the inside and it’s definitely not from inside.

The only thing I can think (which is a bit worrying) is that I’ve heard some car thieves mark cars with codes for others to find later on.

I don’t have sentry on at home as we have CCTV but I’ve not sat through it to see if anyone comes near the car.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks

Attachments

• 09F71B03-FC53-45E3-92EB-7F5B7BFA0428.jpeg
    09F71B03-FC53-45E3-92EB-7F5B7BFA0428.jpeg
    643.5 KB · Views: 105
Probably from the factory.. I had marks* where the glass had been held along the sides as well. For some reason it's quite difficult to remove.

If your normal window cleaner won't shift it try something like gtechniq g4 (which is what sorted mine out).

* marks is overstating it.. more places where condensation doesn't stick in the same way.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I’ve woken up this morning and the misses has mentioned that there looked to be some writing on the car windscreen (top right if you’re looking from the front). I’ve been out and it appears to say C17 as if it’s been written on while the windscreen was a bit frosted over.

I clean the car a fair amount and I’ve never seen this before so I don’t think it’s a marking from when it’s been transported etc. but I could be wrong. I’ve also checked from the inside and it’s definitely not from inside.

The only thing I can think (which is a bit worrying) is that I’ve heard some car thieves mark cars with codes for others to find later on.

I don’t have sentry on at home as we have CCTV but I’ve not sat through it to see if anyone comes near the car.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks
Highly unlikely to be thieves. Only one M3 has been stolen in the UK this year. Which to me screams insurance fraud……these cars aren’t currently targeted.

Upvote 0
Thanks both so far, I should’ve mentioned as well that I’ve had the car for about 18 months so it’s been through a winter and I’ve not seen it before.

Also, I am a bit of a cleaner when it comes to the car so I would hope I would’ve noticed this before now if it’s always been there.

I had a mark from some labels on a double glazed window that would occasionally be visible in the right/wrong weather conditions and angle of light ... was still there 30 years after installation! You'll probably not see it again for another 18 months.

Reactions: Durzel
Upvote 0
Almost certainly marks from when it was transported or moved around the factory. These things tend to show up when you get condensation, etc and are completely invisible at other times of the year, which is why they're missed in PDI, etc.

I had a previous car which had a visible ring where the owner must've attached something to the screen.. would always reappear around this time of year.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Upvote 0
Thanks all, I was (still am) hoping that’s all it is and this makes me feel a bit better.

Obviously it’s a pretty hard car to steal without the keycard/phone/passcode but that then starts the mind going “well they could break in and get the thumbscrews out” etc. (this is probably just the result of watching too many movies and worrying about a new baby).

Upvote 0
Almost certainly marks from when it was transported or moved around the factory. These things tend to show up when you get condensation, etc and are completely invisible at other times of the year, which is why they're missed in PDI, etc.

I had a previous car which had a visible ring where the owner must've attached something to the screen.. would always reappear around this time of year.
PDI?

• Funny
Reactions: rincewind
Upvote 0