Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AWD>

Jan 28, 2018
No
Want To Buy:

Price: Around $40000, ready to pull the trigger.

Model S
White, Grey, Silver preferred
Other colors by exception

Must Have Options:
Dark Interior
85 kWh Battery
Premium Package
Premium Sound
Heated Seats, etc
Pano Roof
Rear-Facing 3rd Row Seats
19” or 20” Wheels, 19’s preferred
Auto Pilot
Dual Chargers
Free Supercharging

Must Have Details:
Less Than 40k Miles
Clean Title
No Accidents
No Issues
Newish Tires

Like To Haves:
CPO or Warranty Transfer
3+ Years of Warranty Remaining
HPWC
Extra Charging Paraphernalia
Extra Tesla stuff you don’t want/need

Other Considerations:
Not opposed to AWD, but not req’d

Not opposed to higher mile cars with a battery replacement, but must have a warranty (whole car, not just battery)

Family of five with three kiddos, this will hopefully successfully replace our aging Sienna without space/range anxiety (space is wife’s biggest concern). Wife says must have rear-facing seats, so that’s a deal breaker. We are also fairly remote and isolated in NW OK, so the larger battery is a must.

Please PM me what you have and we can discuss. I don’t mind, and will likely have to fly out and drive home. I’ll be flying out of Oklahoma City.

Thank you, new to Tesla, sorry for any acronym or options buffoonery :)

Best,

Casey

• Funny
Reactions: b team
Thank you, feel free to PM with regard to price or if you have a Model S that meets my description.

Please keep my thread on track. I do not wish to discuss market opinions and respectfully request that stay out of my thread.

My wife and I are ready to buy, thanks again for your understanding.

Casey

Your wishlist is unrealistic for even 45k unless you wait probably another year, but good luck. Cars with 85 kWh and AP very rarely go for under 50k, and the ones that do probably dont meet many of your other listed must haves, specifically they have relatively few options and/or high miles. A useful tool for estimating value is ev-cpo.com in the archived listings.

Unless you find someone really wanting to dump their car well below market price in a private sale or a salvage car, I don't think you'll find what you are looking for in the current market, unfortunately.

As @yngwiescruggs said, an 85kWh with AP go for a lot more than $40k. I plugged most of your requirements into EV-CPO.com, and you can see the results below. Of all the CPO cars previously sold by Tesla, only six meet your criteria, and the lowest price was $70k and that car was sold in November, 2017, not that long ago. These cars were a mix of the 2 and 4 year CPO warranties. 5 out of 6 of these cars had below 40k miles.

If you remove the Rear Facing Seats (an uncommon option which you can have retrofitted), the number of cars sold goes up to 45, and the lowest price was $64,500 (see second image). 41 of out of 45 had below 40k miles.

upload_2018-1-28_18-41-45.png

Rear Facing seats removed:
upload_2018-1-28_18-41-54.png

Just for fun, I looked at all 85kWh batteries with AP1, and there have been some inexpensive ones near your price range, but they're all high mileage models with no extra options and short warranties.

Good luck in your search.

upload_2018-1-28_18-48-51.png

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and bnsn
Thank you, feel free to PM with regard to price or if you have a Model S that meets my description.

Please keep my thread on track. I do not wish to discuss market opinions and respectfully request that stay out of my thread.

My wife and I are ready to buy, thanks again for your understanding.

Casey

If you’re selling a Model S that fits my request/criteria, feel free to shoot me a PM.

If you’re not, please feel free to shoot me a PM with any other info you feel pertinent to include in our lives.

Those looking to move up to something else will likely find our situation mutually beneficial. I can’t afford much more and I’m certain our price is better than a random dealer and even Tesla would offer.

I almost didn’t put a price, but I didn’t want folks sending me data on $60-120k MSs. My mistake, I assumed this community was more like RL.

Thank you.

• Disagree
Reactions: bnsn
If you’re selling a Model S that fits my request/criteria, feel free to shoot me a PM.

If you’re not, please feel free to shoot me a PM with any other info you feel pertinent to include in our lives.

Those looking to move up to something else will likely find our situation mutually beneficial. I can’t afford much more and I’m certain our price is better than a random dealer and even Tesla would offer.

I almost didn’t put a price, but I didn’t want folks sending me data on $60-120k MSs. My mistake, I assumed this community was more like RL.

Thank you.

Dude, we're just trying to give you some helpful advice. Our goal isn't to sidetrack your thread. We're trying to save you some time by pointing out that nobody is going to sell you a car for $10-25k less than it's worth. It would not be "mutually beneficial". Check the going rate for a car matching your specs (which EV-CPO did for you in detail).

You can find some cars in this forum that match all your requirements except RFS, and if you look you'll see they're all at least $55k. RFS are a rare option, and can add several thousand to the price.

You've been given some very good and detailed advice. You can choose to ignore it though if you prefer.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Dude, we're just trying to give you some helpful advice. Our goal isn't to sidetrack your thread. We're trying to save you some time by pointing out that nobody is going to sell you a car for $10-25k less than it's worth. It would not be "mutually beneficial". Check the going rate for a car matching your specs (which EV-CPO did for you in detail).

You can find some cars in this forum that match all your requirements except RFS, and if you look you'll see they're all at least $55k. RFS are a rare option, and can add several thousand to the price.

You've been given some very good and detailed advice. You can choose to ignore it though if you prefer.

Please PM, I do believe I requested that.

Mods, please close this thread. This is forum is unfortunately disappointing.

Thank you.

Yep, not impressed in the slightest.
Yup, we're just a bunch of jerks trying to give someone some helpful advice. We should have instead kept quiet and let you believe your expectations were realistic. Shame on us.

I haven't been on Rennlist in 15 years, but I don't remember it being made up of people who sold vehicles for way below market value. Perhaps things have changed.

Reactions: ATC@LWSK and bnsn
DrMike, feel free to PM your advice as requested. My assumption is that you can read and comprehend what PM means.

Thanks pal, I would love to hear more unsolicited advice in a private setting.

With regard to market, trolling people doesn’t heat up a market. Over-inflated prices don’t heat up a market either.

I don’t want a CPO from Tesla proper, I want a Tesla from an enthusiast who doesn’t want to trade in and lose their tail.

Personally, I don’t condone burning money. I’m quite certain you’re eating depreciation, so I understand your sadness and desire to push the market. That’s okay.

Let me know when you’re selling $20k over and I’ll be sure to comment on your outrageous price and help you sell your vehicle as you’re helping me find one.

I just want the opportunity to pay your courtesy back, thanks again bud.

Are there even any mods here? Seriously... close this hunk of junk down.

Last, thanks again doc... I’ll call you when I find our MS or MX. We can talk it up while I’m driving home, because you know we’re such good pals and all from all this awesome advice.

Nah, you’re not a jerk.

I want a Tesla from an enthusiast who doesn’t want to trade in and lose their tail.

I understand you're new to the Tesla market. But understand that any Model S, with all the specs you are demanding as "must haves", will have dealer trade-in values significantly higher than what you are offering. Nobody is going to take you up on that deal --- unless they need to unload a car fast to pay off some loan shark or suffer some broken knee-caps. I'm not saying that won't happen, but the chances of that happening, and you finding out about it at that exact moment, asymptotically approaches zero.

I looked up what a 2014 85kWh car with base specs would be valued as a dealer trade-in.. And here it is --

upload_2018-1-28_23-35-37.png

These prices do include Rear Facing seats and Pano Roof, but don't include many of your 'must haves' like Premium Package, Premium Sound, Heated Seats, Auto Pilot, Dual Chargers. And these prices definitely do not include 3+ years of remaining warranty. And it's been discussed here in many threads, Autopilot alone adds between $5k to $10k to the price of an identical car without.

And your "must have details" pretty much describe a "Clean" or "Extra Clean" car: Less Than 40k Miles. Clean Title, No Accidents. No Issues, Newish Tires.

So take that however you want.

I’m quite certain you’re eating depreciation, so I understand your sadness and desire to push the market.

Everyone, everywhere, who buys a premium or luxury car is eating depreciation. Nobody here is trying to "push the market" as nobody here is offering to sell any cars at any price. But we do know the market very well. If the market was super depressed and there were dozens of cars available that fit your criteria, we'd be talking about which one suits your needs best. Nobody has an ulterior or selfish motive here (despite what you accuse us of). And if you look at the dealer prices above, we're not trying to manipulate the market -- that IS the market. Today.

And I don't understand your hostility. We are just trying to help you out. Nobody called you any names or attacked you for your post.

Is it you just don't like what we're trying to tell you (i.e. reality)?

Don't kill the messenger. Have a good night.

DrMike, feel free to PM your advice as requested. My assumption is that you can read and comprehend what PM means.

Thanks pal, I would love to hear more unsolicited advice in a private setting.

With regard to market, trolling people doesn’t heat up a market. Over-inflated prices don’t heat up a market either.

I don’t want a CPO from Tesla proper, I want a Tesla from an enthusiast who doesn’t want to trade in and lose their tail.

Personally, I don’t condone burning money. I’m quite certain you’re eating depreciation, so I understand your sadness and desire to push the market. That’s okay.

Let me know when you’re selling $20k over and I’ll be sure to comment on your outrageous price and help you sell your vehicle as you’re helping me find one.

You are completely mistaken here about my intent. I am shopping for a Tesla, like you. But, unlike you apparently, I have put in a lot of time learning what the market is like. My budget is around the same range as yours ($40-45k, perhaps a little higher depending on the car). By putting in hours learning what the market is like, I have come to accept what kind of a vehicle I can reasonably hope to get with my budget.

I would love a car that meets all of the specs you outlined, and would be ecstatic if I could get one for $40k - but since I have put in the time to see what the market is like (again, EV-CPO is a great place to start), I realize that it is unrealistic to think a car like that would be available in my price range right now. Tesla does give low trade-in values - but $40k is below what even they would offer for a car meeting those specs (and Vroom also would offer considerably more).

Are there even any mods here? Seriously... close this hunk of junk down.

Last, thanks again doc... I’ll call you when I find our MS or MX. We can talk it up while I’m driving home, because you know we’re such good pals and all from all this awesome advice.

Nah, you’re not a jerk.

As others have also said, I don't understand your hostility. Just because reality doesn't match what you had hoped, that doesn't mean you need to attack the messengers.

Show me a vehicle that matches your specs for under $50k. I doubt you could even find one for under $55k. All we were doing was trying to save you some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnsn
OP, the trade-in value on my 2014 S60 w/AP1 is $44K, so nobody in their right mindset is going to sell you an AP1 vehicle with your "must have" criteria for less than $40K.. The other folks are steering you in the right direction, no need to be so sensitive to the help/criticism.

Reactions: Blup85 and bnsn