Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTF with these SW updates??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok guys, I have to be honest here. I was just sort of ranting in my OP (the 2 year old in me had to do it)

But, in reality , I love my Tesla and thinks it’s amazing!

And I acknowledge there maybe other improvements in these small updates that are “hidden” - that’s cool, I can appreciate that

Fun reading some of the replies on here, cheers!

Nobody makes you install them? Are u kidding me? They pop up on the screen and phone — it’s not a real option to skip updates.

And yes, I think time spent coding games and other BS DOES take away from other things like Summon development, AP, etc. Someone is getting paid a lot of money to code these games - that money could be reallocated elsewhere, like improving service departments
You sound like a blast at parties

• Informative
Reactions: Tezla1
My thought is that the games/Easter eggs are mostly a training ground for new hires. They learn how to use the software tools Tesla uses, learn the software iteration flow, and demonstrate they can actually write serviceable code. Better having them work with MCU software than AP software.

My wish list:

I want estimate charging kwh and $$$ used to charge so I can calculate energy used to fuel my car per charge period per day, and per month.

Thats interesting as its one of the few features I have and never realized it didn't carry over to later models. I guess there was not enough call for them to simply continue doing so. They obviously had already worked this out but decided not to include it anymore. Maybe they have these features saved for when they run out of other updates.

The game developers are Tesla fans, and ported the games to Tesla at no charge. Just something they wanted to do because they like Tesla and Elon is cool.

Sour grapes about Tesla spending time and money of these fun things is out of line.

While the games get the headlines, impromements in auto pilot and other IT items are downloaded in stealth, along with the headline games.

Maybe they should state in the updates:

video game update, cartoons updated, bla bla bla, BS updates...

... “and OTHER MISC big fixes”
This is a silly thread. Most cars get NO updates. we get amazing things and just for fun things, seems like a win win.

Ok, you’re like the 10th person to say this after reading my OP, so I’m just gonna clear this up bc it’s bothering me how badly flawed this logic is , “ohh but your bmw doesn’t get better over time.. now, does it! Aha!”

Do NOT compare an ICE to Tesla. Period

When I buy an ICE, I don’t EXPECT updates

• Disagree
Reactions: jjrandorin
Ok, you’re like the 10th person to say this after reading my OP, so I’m just gonna clear this up bc it’s bothering me how badly flawed this logic is , “ohh but your bmw doesn’t get better over time.. now, does it! Aha!”

Do NOT compare an ICE to Tesla. Period

When I buy an ICE, I don’t EXPECT updates

No, you have the logic wrong.

TESLA you expect to get updates.
ANYTHING ELSE you don't

You got a Tesla, expect to get updates!

I am excited every time I see a new update! They keep the car feeling fresh and fun since it is constantly improving. I'm not a gamer, but I know a lot of people like them. As long as they don't negatively impact the driving experience, no big deal. I didn't "get" fart mode until I read some posts by people with kids. Tesla has something for everyone!

Reactions: Kuroshio
No, you have the logic wrong.

TESLA you expect to get updates.
ANYTHING ELSE you don't

You got a Tesla, expect to get updates!

Im not following you here. You are essentially saying "I bought a tesla, so I expect updates... but only the updates I want or think are important".

If say "dont compare an ICE with a tesla, because I expect to get updates in a tesla", then your entire complaint boils down to "they are not working on what I think is most important".. correct?

Others have said software development doesnt work that way, but I like to use analogies because it helps people understand... so here is one.

Lets say you were getting a remodel done on your house. You have 5 contractors there. All 5 of the contractors have plumbing skill, but one is a plumber, one is an electrician, one is a General contractor, and 2 are journeyman handyman types.

Now, your toilet is one of the items to be replaced. Any of them could do it... but the GC, electrician and plumber could also do other things. The 2 handymen would seem to be the appropriate people for the job. The one thing you WOULDNT do, is have all 5 of them work on changing the toilet at the same time. They couldnt even all fit in the bathroom, likely.. and adding more people to that task does not make it go any faster.

Conversely, since the handymen are not electricians (in this example) they can not assist the electrician with his task. You could hire more electricians, but you cant simply throw the other people at the electricians rewiring of the house.

You cant simply take the developers who are working on porting these games over and "tell them to work on advanced summon". You could certainly fire them and not have the stuff they are working on at all. Elon happens to have an affinity for video games and thinks they helped make him who he is. A lot of this stuff makes tesla "different". Even if you dont use it all, SOMEONE finds value in it, and they likely spend the money they DONT spend on the "summer of savings!" and "december to remember" advertising campaign to do this type of stuff.

They dont currently advertise (or at least pay for it, they get plenty of press thats free).

I totally get the "I dont see value in this" argument. what I dont get is the " since I dont see value in it, its not valuable at all" argument.