Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTF with these SW updates??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately, it seems every time a software update comes out, it’s about a stupid game or display brightness adjustment or some other paltry bs.

I didn’t spend $66,000 on a car to play Atari video games! I can buy a $500 Xbox for that.

Who else is fed up with these BS updates?
(I just feel like Elon should prioritize resources to more useful features or service)

#endrant

Lately, it seems every time a software update comes out, it’s about a stupid game or display brightness adjustment or some other paltry bs.

I didn’t spend $66,000 on a car to play Atari video games! I can buy a $500 Xbox for that.

(I just feel like Elon should prioritize resources to more useful features or service)

#endrant
Your car was only $66,000? This was exactly what we feared when the Model 3 appeared. A bunch of middle class buyers spoiling our exclusive marque.

Nobody makes you install them, or play the games if you do. It's not like the time spent coding the games takes away from AP development time either, I'm sure they are totally separate groups or teams.

Hidden inside each update are likely minor tweaks and incremental improvements to things you do care about.

Nobody makes you install them? Are u kidding me? They pop up on the screen and phone — it’s not a real option to skip updates.

And yes, I think time spent coding games and other BS DOES take away from other things like Summon development, AP, etc. Someone is getting paid a lot of money to code these games - that money could be reallocated elsewhere, like improving service departments

...And yes, I think time spent coding games and other BS DOES take away from other things like Summon development, AP, etc. Someone is getting paid a lot of money to code these games - that money could be reallocated elsewhere, like improving service departments
Tesla DOESN'T code the games. They are just ported over. Also I think this was originally done "off" time by engineers who where "playing" around. The "new" game Beach Buggy does have some programing but it appears the developer is doing it all. I don't play games so couldn't care less but MORE stuff for more people is better even if you and I don't use it. So don't hate just ignore.

Just to add that NO other car compony is anywhere close to the levels that AP and Summon are now. So you can't say Tesla is lagging and you won't be able to offer any evidence that "BS" is taking away from AP/Summon's development.

#endrant

I believe in posting "why" if you use the "disagree" button on someones post, so thats why I am posting a reply in addition to clicking the button. I dont feel the same way you do, because NO OTHER CAR MANUFACTURER currently provides updates like this after purchase, and complaining about free new features, whatever they are , seems extremely entitled to me.

Just because "you" dont find value in the specific things they are updating doesnt mean they shouldnt do it. "I" have zero interest in "dog mode". I dont, and likely never will, have a dog. I still think "dog mode" is a great feature they added, even though I will never likely use it.

I have played the tesla games in the car only one time, to see that they work. I appreciate they are there, for the time I "might" use them on a road trip. I also appreciate they are there for all the people who want (or need) them to entertain either themselves or children while waiting for "something".

Enjoy the fact that any updates happen at all, rather than complain about the fact that these FREE updates dont suit you.

(the above was the reason why I clicked disagree, and my thoughts around why I disagree).

I believe in posting "why" if you use the "disagree" button on someones post, so thats why I am posting a reply in addition to clicking the button. I dont feel the same way you do, because NO OTHER CAR MANUFACTURER currently provides updates like this after purchase, and complaining about free new features, whatever they are , seems extremely entitled to me.

Just because "you" dont find value in the specific things they are updating doesnt mean they shouldnt do it. "I" have zero interest in "dog mode". I dont, and likely never will, have a dog. I still think "dog mode" is a great feature they added, even though I will never likely use it.

I have played the tesla games in the car only one time, to see that they work. I appreciate they are there, for the time I "might" use them on a road trip. I also appreciate they are there for all the people who want (or need) them to entertain either themselves or children while waiting for "something".

Enjoy the fact that any updates happen at all, rather than complain about the fact that these FREE updates dont suit you.

(the above was the reason why I clicked disagree, and my thoughts around why I disagree).

Why do you hate dogs?

(Just kidding I agree with you and this whole thread makes me laugh)

Reactions: cbaaz
Why do you hate dogs?

(Just kidding I agree with you and this whole thread makes me laugh)

Lol.

I dont "hate" dogs, but when I was a child (4-6) my neighbor had a dog that "hated" me (big doberman mix type dog). No one believed me. I was terrified of this dog, who growled at me all the time (probably because it could tell I was scared of it). Anyway, one day it got out and started barking and running after me. I ran, which was dumb (but I was somewhere between 4-6, remember). It chased me down, jumped on me and bit me in the neck. It kept biting at me until someone pulled it off.

(I still remember all this VERY clearly... like it was a couple years ago, and I am 52 years old now)

Understandably (I think) I never liked dogs after that. I dont "mind" other peoples dogs, but have never had a desire to have one myself. too much maintenance for me, and they are too much like having a small child you need to care fo. I have owned cats most of my life (lived in apartments until I was an adult in my 30s) and cats work in small apartments.

/end off topic post.

Last edited:

#endrant
I agree with you! It seems like a complete waste of resources - at least on the surface.

I do feel like there are constant tweaks to the AP software that they just aren't highlighting. I've noticed my car handing certain situations better in the last few updates for sure.

But I completely agree with you. Many of us bought the car for the autopilot technology and when updates come out who's marquee feature is a stupid video game then you can't help but wonder about the prioritization of resources. If I want to play games in my car while I wait on it to charge I'll bring along my Nintendo Switch.

Just because you think they are stupid doesn't mean that everyone else does. Your list of what is not BS will differ from someone else's so how, exactly, do you propose Tesla go about figuring out what to concentrate on?
Also, the largest part of most updates is probably bug fixes and minor improvements that are not even listed in the release notes.
Lastly, as has been mentioned you're complaining about getting something, for free, from Tesla that no other car company out there does. Whether you see it or not, your car is improving with every single update, compare that to a BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar/Audi that remains the same for years after you buy it.

Nobody makes you install them? Are u kidding me? They pop up on the screen and phone — it’s not a real option to skip updates.
Popping up on the screen or on your phone doesn't mean you need to install them, there are lots of people that go months without installing updates that they don't like/want.

And yes, I think time spent coding games and other BS DOES take away from other things like Summon development, AP, etc. Someone is getting paid a lot of money to code these games - that money could be reallocated elsewhere, like improving service departments
That's not how software development works. A person or team working on a game is not taking resources away from another group working on advanced summon or from a group working on bug fixes for a previous feature. Unless you're implying they should get rid of the game/toybox people and hire more people to do whatever it is that you think is important - that doesn't always work either, throwing more resources at something doesn't mean it gets done faster or better.

#endrant
What features and services would you like to see them implement?