Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTF with these SW updates??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody makes you install them? Are u kidding me? They pop up on the screen and phone — it’s not a real option to skip updates.

And yes, I think time spent coding games and other BS DOES take away from other things like Summon development, AP, etc. Someone is getting paid a lot of money to code these games - that money could be reallocated elsewhere, like improving service departments

This is a fallacy about software development. There are only so many developers that can work on a given feature or set of features. Think of cooks in a kitchen. It works the exact same way with software development teams because they are communication constrained like all teams of humans cooperating towards a common goal. Teams can only coordinate so much on a specific feature before the act of coordinating outweighs the actual time spent developing features. The actual number of developers is much smaller than you might imagine, too. Plus the skillset of developers hacking on and integrating games is very different from those working on other features like car summoning.

Tesla has openly admitted to me that they do test more items on the Model 3 release software than the S or X and we should expect to have more bugs and software updates. That scares me. I do appreciate the constant stream of updates as long as they continue to refine the code.

Also, fix my d@mn backup camera!

Lately, it seems every time a software update comes out, it’s about a stupid game or display brightness adjustment or some other paltry bs.

I didn’t spend $66,000 on a car to play Atari video games! I can buy a $500 Xbox for that.

Who else is fed up with these BS updates?
(I just feel like Elon should prioritize resources to more useful features or service)

#endrant
I'm a software developer.

When Tesla comes out with a new version of the software every week, you can bet that there are significant changes for the better in each release. Every little change is unlikely to be described in the release notes, and there are always significant changes that are added that they might not want to advertise, because users might want to test them. A new left curve crash prevention item might be added that fails when you have your right blinker on. You don't want users over-testing that new left curve feature.

If you are bothered by the info on games in the release notes, you should quit reading them, and just be happy when your car learns a new trick every couple of weeks.

And watch that right turn signal. ☺

• Funny
Reactions: Tezla1
Just checked the last set of releases.
Sure there was a game
But there was also updates to Dog Mode
Updated Sentry mode activation that made it much simpler
Many AP updates that smoothed out responses
The last update was supposed to enable the CHAdeMO adapter for Model 3
There is usually more none trivial stuff in there, but it’s up to you if you want to focus on the trivial and be angry about it. :D

Perhaps the games are being done by the customer service team because they are continuing down hill with no improvement. Rather than games I would like to see a CS portal on the car that keeps track of the BS notes they add. Seems seeing your documentation for issues would be of more value. Those that think the games do not consume bandwidth are wrong, even if they were handed to Tesla for free there is considerable UI and testing work that is done, there are plenty of areas on the UI that need more attention. I wonder it Tesla game engineers know what tire scrub is?

The majority of fixes and updates aren't mentioned in the release notes. Only new features are mentioned, and usually not all of those. Does your $66,000 car not drive? Isn't driving what you bought it for? Have any of the updates prevented your car from continuing to drive?

• Disagree
Please be kind to our neighborly Tesla owners. We are all on the adventure and learning curve that is owning a Tesla ( EV, batteries, Autopilot, etc...).

Mostly days the Tesla does more than I expect, some days less. But always it is a learning experience. Complaints and confusion are the human experience when dealing with automation.

Asking for or offering help are positive uses of the forum. Rants that Life/Tesla is unfair are par for the course, but at best cause sympathy.

It is my observation that the weekly updates, 201X.weekly.n.n are AI neural net upgrades (AP changes), and the n.n upgrades are bug fixes and minor modifications to the user interface, such as games.

Do you have a flip phone? I know I get 10+ update requests a day on my smart phone.

Screenshot_20190711-094712_Google Play Store.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the video games are selling thousands of cars. It might be their greatest advertising idea ever. I can't count how many people have played the games on my car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190711-094712_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20190711-094712_Google Play Store.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 73
Lately, it seems every time a software update comes out, it’s about a stupid game or display brightness adjustment or some other paltry bs.

I didn’t spend $66,000 on a car to play Atari video games! I can buy a $500 Xbox for that.

Who else is fed up with these BS updates?
(I just feel like Elon should prioritize resources to more useful features or service)

#endrant

What you see in the release notes are the "features" that are added or changed. There commonly are MANY other changes in the core code for driving the car. As has happened a few times with Tesla (and other software manufacturers) a reduction of new features often signals that a bigger change is in the works.

I therefore generally like it when things start to settle down. We went through a few months at the end of last year with hardly any releases, then a big upgrade started to hit.

• Disagree
Do you have a flip phone? I know I get 10+ update requests a day on my smart phone.

View attachment 428588

I'm pretty sure that the video games are selling thousands of cars. It might be their greatest advertising idea ever. I can't count how many people have played the games on my car.

That's funny. I don't know a single person or buyer that has ever said the video games are the reason they bought a Tesla or became interested and I know hundreds of buyers of many demographics. I would like to know who that buying group is and I think other EV makers are clearly missing the boat. Who would have known, I thought people bought the car because it was a good EV not a gaming consul. I hope millennials keep earning extra disposable income so the stock goes up.

He may be upset that the same "update" has come four times now. Under 2019.20.4.1, 2, 3, and now 4. I did the update last night and you get the same screen of "What's New", but it's the same list as the first 3 times. If these are such minor tweaks that they're using 4 decimal points, they should just say "Minor fixes" and not keep showing the same updates as if they were actually new.

That's funny. I don't know a single person or buyer that has ever said the video games are the reason they bought a Tesla or became interested and I know hundreds of buyers of many demographics. I would like to know who that buying group is and I think other EV makers are clearly missing the boat. Who would have known, I thought people bought the car because it was a good EV not a gaming consul. I hope millennials keep earning extra disposable income so the stock goes up.
It just adds to the general aura that Tesla does interesting/cool/fun/outside-the-box things that no one else does, or even thinks about doing. And it's not a "good" EV. It's a kick-butt, sporty, cool EV. Which is why the Tesla sells and every other EV is essentially ignored.

This is a fallacy about software development. There are only so many developers that can work on a given feature or set of features. Think of cooks in a kitchen. It works the exact same way with software development teams because they are communication constrained like all teams of humans cooperating towards a common goal. Teams can only coordinate so much on a specific feature before the act of coordinating outweighs the actual time spent developing features. The actual number of developers is much smaller than you might imagine, too. Plus the skillset of developers hacking on and integrating games is very different from those working on other features like car summoning.
That is probably true but all this means to me is that they are wasting their money paying developers to work on games and fart modes. That's the sort of thing that you do towards the very end of the life cycle of a product - not at the very beginning.

Publicity...free advertising. That's what the games are for, I think!

It not advertising if no one knows about it unless they are inside the car. Can't ever recall anyone mentioning they say games in a Tesla and it made them interested in the car. They would be better off doing the X-mas light show on the model 3 drawing attention to the car vs games which many owners are not even aware of.

My wish list:

I want estimate charging kwh and $$$ used to charge so I can calculate energy used to fuel my car per charge period per day, and per month.

The sentry mode update was great and consequent always on sentry mode was appreciated greatly. I want a quick highlight of sentry mode events.

These two things would make me a happy camper. Haha

Last edited:
My wish list:

I want estimate charging kwh and $$$ used to charge so I can calculate energy used to fuel my car per charge period per day, and per month.

The sentry mode update was great and consequent always on sentry mode was appreciated greatly. I want a quick highlight of sentry mode events.

These two things would make me a happy camper. Haha

The car gives you what is used. Calculating cost would be far too complex as there are many plans, times and variables. Just look at your consumption and do the simple math or get a clamp meter device on your circuit and input the variables in the software to give you the cost.

The car gives you what is used. Calculating cost would be far too complex as there are many plans, times and variables. Just look at your consumption and do the simple math or get a clamp meter device on your circuit and input the variables in the software to give you the cost.
Tesla and Space X can launch a rocket then have the rocket land back on a floating boat. They can figure this *sugar* out.